• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forklifting a M1082A1

oregonfirefighter

Got a M1082A1 and would like to forklift onto a transport. Any warnings or should I overhead load it with a crane? ( I know some gear doesn't like to be forklifted. Also, what is the difference between the M1082 and the "A1" model?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there's a clear path for the forks to slide underneath and not hit anything sliding under or when raising up, then by all means do that.
Using a 2x4 or 2x6 as a fork prop will tell you if there will be any issues.

Use a sheet of plywood between the trailer and forklift back rack to prevent any metal damage.

tobyS

Watch out for the air to hydraulic brake unit (don't hit with forks). Use wood blocks.

expeditionnw

if worried about forking it, why not just ling it from the forks to the pick points on the bed sides? afterall thats what they are for...

tobyS

agreed. But It only weighs 6500lbs, and if a machine can fork it, that same machine will be able to sling it.
Not really, it all depends on the fork length. If your forks reach to the far frame member under it or in a pinch, just beyond the center with proper blocks and chain, you can get it from under. But to use slings, even if you have a hole in your forks for a pin, the forks have to be nearly as wide as the bed (or wider).

Let me guess, your forks are 7-8' and not just 6'?

A sling and a wrecker truck...yes.

FloridaAKM

The weight isn't the big gorilla in this picture, its being able to sling load it with long enough forks. You have enough fork to make a basket sling or hook chains to the lifting eyes on the attachments built into the trailer. The big lifts that they have @ a lot of the GL/GP sites will do the job quite easily with a good operator. Now if the new operator came from a scrap yard as his last job, you might want to try & supervise the loading operations to eliminate the reconfiguring of your new property. :roll:

expeditionnw

Not really, it all depends on the fork length. If your forks reach to the far frame member under it or in a pinch, just beyond the center with proper blocks and chain, you can get it from under. But to use slings, even if you have a hole in your forks for a pin, the forks have to be nearly as wide as the bed (or wider).

Let me guess, your forks are 7-8' and not just 6'?

A sling and a wrecker truck...yes.

No need to be snide buddy.

if the straps come together in the center (like they do for an airlift) then the forks only need to reach the center of the bed. And before you start off, let me tell you I lift similar size items in a similar fashion all the time.

tobyS

No need to be snide buddy.

if the straps come together in the center (like they do for an airlift) then the forks only need to reach the center of the bed. And before you start off, let me tell you I lift similar size items in a similar fashion all the time.
Alright, if you draw the straps together, fine. There are many way to do it. I'm sorry if I seemed "snide"... buddy.

FloridaAKM

I would be happy just to find a M1082 to try & figure out how to load it, but all of them seem to be 400+ miles away as the 18 wheeler flys/drives. One day maybe.

expeditionnw

Alright, if you draw the straps together, fine. There are many way to do it. I'm sorry if I seemed "snide"... buddy.
WelL it does seem the most logical way dont you think? Having four lift points all running vertically is a good way for the load to get out of control.

the army has no doubt spent millions in taxpayer dollars to determine the best way to lift these things, and even mathed out locations on the bed to lift from. Lets use their way.

tobyS

WelL it does seem the most logical way dont you think? Having four lift points all running vertically is a good way for the load to get out of control.

the army has no doubt spent millions in taxpayer dollars to determine the best way to lift these things, and even mathed out locations on the bed to lift from. Lets use their way.
I assumed someone with the type of equipment that you seem sure he has would not come to Steel Soldiers and ask about loading. Perhaps the OP would tell us if it is the Army loading or himself and a dude with a fork truck.

expeditionnw

I am going to quote my original comment.

agreed. But It only weighs 6500lbs, and if a machine can fork it, that same machine will be able to sling it.
At this point youve argued both sides of the coin.

But hey, since you just insist on Needling me, I am happy to say YOU ARE RIGHT TOBY! There is no way it can be done without a container crane and ten men :)

tobyS

I am going to quote my original comment.

At this point youve argued both sides of the coin.

But hey, since you just insist on Needling me, I am happy to say YOU ARE RIGHT TOBY! There is no way it can be done without a container crane and ten men :)
What's with the attitude? How do you know what equipment the OP has? I didn't see it in his original post. He mentioned fork truck loading. How many brake systems, whether air over hydro or straight air have been damaged by a fork truck fork....probably quite a few. Blocking can help prevent that.

I own my own crane. I prefer wire slings and shackles.

expeditionnw

What's with the attitude? How do you know what equipment the OP has? I didn't see it in his original post. He mentioned fork truck loading. How many brake systems, whether air over hydro or straight air have been damaged by a fork truck fork....probably quite a few. Blocking can help prevent that.

I own my own crane. I prefer wire slings and shackles.
Since you are now arguing the very other side, I will leave you to it. Around and around we go. I'll just get off this ride right here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks