• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forklifting a M1082A1

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a M1082A1 and would like to forklift onto a transport. Any warnings or should I overhead load it with a crane? ( I know some gear doesn't like to be forklifted. Also, what is the difference between the M1082 and the "A1" model?
I don't know the difference in models since I do not own one one, but did you ever get this thing loaded??

Shark Bait

I own two of them. I believe if the forks are wide enough to clear the tires and miss the spring mounts while being long enough to catch both frame rails safely, it can be forked. I will however check later and get pics because I honestly hadn't ever contemplated lifting it with a fork lift. I towed both of mine home. I will get back as soon as I can.

DanM7890

For what it's worth I've seen a large forklift at Bragg move one that had caged brakes by hooking a chain to the pintle and rolling it around like that.

tobyS

For what it's worth I've seen a large forklift at Bragg move one that had caged brakes by hooking a chain to the pintle and rolling it around like that.
I move my 1061 around all the time, chained to the pintle, with the front loader of my (small) tractor. No caging required, it's air over hydraulic. I didn't know the 1082 had full air.

When I moved it last (with the loader), I raised the 1061 up until the rear hit the rubber stop. It put the back of the trailer at about a foot off the ground and would be much easier driving onto it. Now I'm thinking of making a new front tongue, pivoting at the axle, and hydraulic cylinder to make loading easier.

Shark Bait

image.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpg
Frame is open and clear on mine. If the forks are wide enough to clear the tire and far enough forward to keep the tongue from tipping down and you have the width for the frame rails you should be ok.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They have a makeshift loading dock on site at your pickup location ,Oregon. Or they did before. I saw your uship posting as well. Forklift can simply walk it onto the trailer. I have seem some loadout places that have a lot of trailers have a pintle hitch welded to a plate for them to move them around.

oregonfirefighter

They are telling me this is a new location... In a tow yard. Tow company has a tow rig with a boom and will load it that way for some extra $$$$. With the original post they had it at a site with a forklift...that changed. Anyways, there was some discussion about if a forklift had long enough forks, then it could sling the trailer. Minor assumption was made...that the forklift had a tall enough mast. If I wasn't 1200 miles away I would just tow it home myself. I had a M1102 loaded on my flatbed a couple months back by a IP gentleman and he scraped the living daylights out of the underside. Was as gentle as, well.... he must been in a hurry.

They have a makeshift loading dock on site at your pickup location ,Oregon. Or they did before. I saw your uship posting as well. Forklift can simply walk it onto the trailer. I have seem some loadout places that have a lot of trailers have a pintle hitch welded to a plate for them to move them around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks