• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forward Operating Base In-a-Can

turnkey

Alright got the gear...Check, Got the money ...Check, Got the food and beer....Check......Lets go .......Opps forgot the wife........Check....This thing is sounding better all the time...Great build so far...

tim292stro

Tents are ready for pickup in PA, waiting on uShip bids...

0319151901.jpg

Nearly there - looks like I get a few extra power harness wires and some lights in the deal. Some things are missing like the repair kits (and the floor and an end on the 305), but I've ordered a few of those parts from e-place which should be arriving today or tomorrow as well as the extra NOS side-to-end coupler kit.

tim292stro

Shipping is booked via uShip for the two tents, scheduled for next week pickup - weirdly it was about $100 cheaper to ship these two, than it was to ship the first...

This morning I unboxed the side-to-end coupler which is in great shape. I also received the two 10.1-inch "preview" screens for the rack (1280x800 via HDMI), so I can see what's on the two projectors when I don't have line-of-sight.

Side-to-End coupler kit #2:
SecondCoupler.jpg

One repair kit for first missing kit on 303 and 305:
RepairKit.jpg

Last edited:

srodocker

I love those 4x4 forklifts. Those videos are pretty dang sweet as well... I do plan on a california trip one day and may have to swing down when your setup is in full force!

Another Ahab

You have to be real careful driving those forklifts. They can tip over in a heart beat ! I know ! I was in the 3rd Battalion Landing Support Unit for a few years and we used these all the time to unload equipment.
We had them with battalion in the Seabees, also:

- An all-purpose workhorse

I saw them used as hoists, mobile scaffolds, loaders, buckets; you name it. As inventive as the battalion was, the RT's could do it all.

Never saw one with the on-board crane though. Liking that.

Last edited:

rustystud

We had them with battalion in the Seabees, also:

- An all-purpose workhorse

I saw then used as hoists, mobile scaffolds, loaders, buckets; you name it. As inventive as the battalion was, the RT's could do it all.

Never saw one with the on-board crane though. Liking that.
They are great units, no doubt about it. The problem was we always got some yah-hoo who thought he knew what he was doing and would tip it over ( I believe they just enjoyed doing it ). The problem got so bad that the unit commander said who ever tipped the RT over again would "go before the mast" . That is serious !

Another Ahab

They are great units, no doubt about it. The problem was we always got some yah-hoo who thought he knew what he was doing and would tip it over ( I believe they just enjoyed doing it ). The problem got so bad that the unit commander said who ever tipped the RT over again would "go before the mast" . That is serious !
I never even heard of (much less witnessed) somebody tipping an RT. That thought is scary (it's a big piece of equipment), and I have been thinking about this and I think I got the picture:

- The active duty EO's I worked with were mostly fresh out of "A" school, and so I'm guessing played all the rules by the book (NO pushing the envelope on safety). Maybe more than they needed to, but that's never a bad way to start out.

- The EO's I worked with during my years in the Reserve were all (+/-) full-time EO's on the outside. This was actual; they were literally haulers. loader operators, etc, (some were actually straight from the West Virginia mines).

- Others were farmers from out of the Valley (Shenandoah), or Southern Maryland, and had long hard experience with equipment (can't tell you how many guys would be missing at least one knuckle, or a finger, or a part of a finger).

- I'm exaggerating some, but not much. We had a mix of guys in our Reserve unit from all over the MD/ VA/ WVA region. Lot of them also were in (to be kind), what you'd call "mature" stages of their careers.

These guys all had hard-earned long time respect for the machinery they operated. I wouldn't have called any of them that I knew a yah-hoo (one or two might have been close to by-god hillbillies; but not yah-hoos!).

But a lot of young(er) bucks, especially if all their training and experience is all restricted to relatively brief military tours, won't have that "seasoned" respect that only comes with time.

It's a sobering thought to me, but take my word for it: you don't want to be anywhere near a piece of heavy equipment operated by anyone even remotely describable as a yah-hoo. That is not a good picture.

Last edited:

rustystud

Most of the guys who where tipping over the RT's where young kids straight out of boot camp. Also I'm sure none of them had ever driven any kind of large equipment in the civilian world. At one point we had to up-right the RT 3 times in one day ! Granted the terrain was kind of rough, but if they had used their brains for thinking instead of a hat rack the tip-overs could have been prevented. Thankfully they where only unloading MRE's and nothing and nobody got hurt.

aczlan

Most of the guys who where tipping over the RT's where young kids straight out of boot camp. Also I'm sure none of them had ever driven any kind of large equipment in the civilian world. At one point we had to up-right the RT 3 times in one day ! Granted the terrain was kind of rough, but if they had used their brains for thinking instead of a hat rack the tip-overs could have been prevented. Thankfully they where only unloading MRE's and nothing and nobody got hurt.
So, they were equipment drivers rather than equipment operators...

Aaron Z

tim292stro

Phones came last night, figured I'd wait until I could power one on to take a picture:
0324151054a.jpg

These are VoIP six-line phones, 4-soft buttons (below the screen), 7-programmable function buttons, and customizable XML screens and applications. One thing I've been playing with is making one of the 4-soft keys PTT when I dial a radio (connected to a ROIP-102, using the call-presence light for the extension as a TX/RX indicator). I'm playing right now with PC sound cards to emulate radios, but I should in theory be able to plug in any radio (base-station, mobile, or handheld), and pull it's band(s) into the "net". This will make it possible to but just send/receive calls (assuming I have a phone line provisioned), but also talk on a 2-way radio from the same phone/station.

I have 8 of these phones just for FOBIC, to go with 8 CF-30 computer workstations, so I'll have enough seats now for an 8-person call-center or command/control suite. When I'm done with the CF-30 integration, I should even be able to stream a workstation's screen view to the "Operator/Server" CF-30 in the rack and output it to a projection screen.
image__1427228183_94238.jpg Combat-operations-center-compressor.jpg

This should end up more or less as what you see on the HDT C2 product page (just ad another row of tables, for four more seats).

Now that I have all the workstation IT gear for the tables, I need to do the padding foam to space and protect them in the Hardigg case - to that end, I'm building a wire-harness for inside the case to be able to charge the ToughBooks while being stored. Just need an external power source of at least 18Volts and less than 60Volts, so something like a NATO slave port will be able to charge them easily. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I have 8 of these phones just for FOBIC, to go with 8 CF-30 computer workstations, so I'll have enough seats now for an 8-person call-center or command/control suite. When I'm done with the CF-30 integration, I should even be able to stream a workstation's screen view to the "Operator/Server" CF-30 in the rack and output it to a projection screen.
View attachment 549654
Tim292, can't remember if you mentioned this already, and if you had a commercial plan behind all this:

- I'll bet there might be people wanting to make use of this set-up for all kinds of various situations

Are you planning to make your rig available for charter?

tim292stro

There is a possibility of that yes. Early thought was CERT/SAR, I'd be trying to focus on local agencies (Police/Fire) rather than state/federal since they would have bigger budgets. I'll also be talking to the people who run the clan booth at the Scottish Games about loaning the tent and an air-conditioner for the games - the Alameda County Fairgrounds (Plesanton, CA) can be unbearably hot without shade in the open fields mid/late-summer (dry heat in the 100's).

I'm not sure I'm going to have enough free time on my hands to rent out the tent (which would likely include setup/tear-down time too), probably not in the cards.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks