• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forward Operating Base In-a-Can

tim292stro

Funny side-note, father-in-law mentioned that he is not "tent camping" anymore after this trip - too much fuss I guess. I'll probably be able to convince him and my mother-in-law to camp if there are cots and private rooms with heat and light though :)

NEIOWA

I got a line on someone who sells blaze orange 550 Paracord to replace the black wind-lines - these come with both a reflective and glow-in the dark tracer woven into the outer casing. I have to import it from across the pond though. I want the option for it to stick out, passive at day, passive at night, reactive with flashlight. I can always swap out for the regular black paracord if the authenticity nannies come by. About a $150USD shipped for just short of 200-feet.

You might check out PMI NITE LINE prusik cord. Similar except not blazin orange. MUCH better price and top quality company

http://shop.pmirope.com/3mm-niteline-accessory-cord-50-meter-spool-cc030mh050s
3 mm PMI Niteline, 15 meter cut length in display bag $18/75 (list)

Also available in 50 ($62.50 list) or 100 meter spools.
S

tim292stro

Thanks for the other lead - I have no idea where I got the price I put up for the blaze orange, or maybe it has gone down (or the exchange rate moved drastically) since the last time I checked. Before shipping/taxes a 55meter spool is about $55 - after shipping/taxes they say about $84.

I like/desire the blaze orange due to the "passive detectability" during the day - it's the same reason I looked for the glow in the dark casing, and since that can get washed out at night with the use of a flashlight I wanted the retroreflective casing too (the orange color helps there too). I guess I can ask them if they can do a spool of Blaze orange since they are in the USA - the listing you sent says "out of stock, custom order" so I'd imagine it's a matter of figuring out how custom the order can be :)

tim292stro

Serendipity has resulted in a liner floor and liner end for the 305 - I'm just short the shell end for that 305 now.

Picked up the parts on eplace with most of a repair kit too for under $200 shipped. :)

turnkey

When the sun comes out you can put a liner in the pickup ..Fill with warm water...There you go ..redneck pool party...bring your own beer and BBQ.

turnkey

Plan looks and sounds great....So what about the in-laws ...When they come to visit?????They get the 303,305,or the hotel down the block tent??

tim292stro

When the sun comes out you can put a liner in the pickup ..Fill with warm water...There you go ..redneck pool party...bring your own beer and BBQ.
Is that where all of the liner floors are going? No wonder they've been so hard to find! aua

Plan looks and sounds great....So what about the in-laws ...When they come to visit?????They get the 303,305,or the hotel down the block tent??
They get the tent that looks stunningly like a Best Western... Not sure what the NSN for that one is [thumbzup]

tim292stro

So I've secured the last of the 305's missing parts (shell end wall). In the same deal I'm working with the seller, I get two partial 103's (mostly shell+frames, missing end-walls on one and liner for both), five rapid entry vestibules, and a "spare" 305 which will go towards the bus project (mother of all roof tents). This purchase will be done in August, so patience again...

At least one of those 103's will need a liner+floor - it will connect the two 305s to the 303 latrine tent. As a hallway, I should be able to use the side door with a custom boot for the S-250 shelter with its pop-up tent to add it to the complex is a weatherproof/"air-tight" fashion. The second 103 was just part of the deal - didn't really have an "urgent need," but once I thought of using a boot to the S-250, I realized that my bus project might also need a hallway to add it to the complex, so there may be 6 Base-X tents (1905sq-ft just in tents, 137sq-ft for the S-250+roof tent, 720sq-ft for the first floor of the bus) total in my complex when I'm done I guess? 2,762sq-ft of enclosed sheltered space - plus three 20x10 pop-up canopies add another 600 square feet of covered area.

tim292stro

Finally!!! Stock sale went through so the purchase of the remaining Base-X parts is happening this week. Very excited that the shelters are going to be completely squared away.

Items are as mentioned in the top of the last post. I will again be looking for completion parts over the following few months for the 103's.

Work is going nuts so the time to finish the development and installation of the lighting is waiting until after Halloween. I'm also in the middle of moving out of one storage unit and into another that has better access hours and only costs 18% what I'm paying for now. That'll free up some more play budget to finish the rest of the needed acquisitions.

tim292stro

Wife's uncle's frequently stated opinion is that roughing it "is a busy signal when I call room service..." - I should be able to provide that for him with this collection [thumbzup]

I dropped the 20' ISO container in place at 7AM this morning, thanks to Jack James Towing for the help, also had them move the S-250 shelter a few stalls over in the storage lot to a place I rented out just for the shelter (keeps people from dumping their trash around it and the XM1027 project truck).

Now the mad dash to move my parts collections from our apartment into the container before it gets too hot, and before my sister-in-law arrives this afternoon, and the rest of the in-laws arrive tomorrow... :doh:

tim292stro

Quick update since this thread dropped out to page 17 of the Aux Equipment forum...

Last of the tents are shipping next week after a long holiday lull, and a hit from the IRS last year - and buying and repairing a M1009 CUCV... I'm going to be in the market for some 103 tent liners as both of those tents are frame-only. I'm also going to start picking up the lighting/HVAC topics once again. I spent a few late nights over christmas writing the specifications for the physical camp control interface and the software protocol. That was a bit of fun. Maybe I can get the DoD to adopt it so it will become "authentic military". Ha!

This means I get to unpack the 20' container again so that I can restack everything to fit. More fun!

My parents are also doing a family camping trip this summer (all the kids and grandkids), and it sounds like I may have carefully sold the wife on trying out sleeping in a 103 (yes, what I consider a hallway :beer:).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks