• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found metal chips in oil, still runs great

barefootin

If I found "ONE" metal flake in my oil the size of a grain of sugar, I'd be investigating... Heck, I don't even like to see my oil come out too dark. Then again, I'm anal retentive when it comes to PM and the state of my vehicles. Even the old GM 5.7L with 321K miles on it still yields an dark amber nectar upon cracking the drain plug.... Unless you can afford to be without it or afford an engine when it lets you know what is wrong, pull the pan and take a look....

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the timing advance unit fail in my injector pump. I had some particles of metal that looked like that in my drain plug. The difference was that i also had chewed up spring pieces too. After I replace the injector pump i noticed the front housing was swollen from the advance coming apart. Just something to throw in the mix.
Do you have any pictures of this carnage?

I have an LDS Pump at home with no Hydraulic Head. I'm not sure if the LDT head from my Code E Hydraulic head will fit the Code B LDS Pump.

oddshot

If you still have the oil filters, it might be worth cutting them open to see if you find smaller particles in them. This would give you some idea if stuff is getting past the pickup screen.

oddshot

I almost think it is from engine timing cover gears hitting a cover or something like that. My reasoning is that it seems like about the size of what a gear could chew off and i think the front cover is aluminum. That's just my guess.
BTW, I don't think your guess is far off. The pieces in your pictures almost look like the chips that would be made during a lathe or milling operation.

acesneights1

That looked brass to me too but internet pics can be deceiving.It takes about 5 mins to pull the oil pan with an air ratchet. Make sure you jack up the drivers side frame and let the axle hang(think it was drivers side..)
IIRC the IP gear was steel. I could go look in my garage at the one on my bench.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes the timing gears(IP included) are steel. Yes, your supposed to jack up the driver's side of the bumper to assist in pulling the oil pan. I do recommend it, as it isn't that hard. Just take your time and watch what your doing. Once Its off, you can inspect the oil tube pickup screens, the oil pump bearings(mine went bad once), you can see what bolts hold your connecting rods together(and make sure they are tight and torqued), etc.

Let us know what you find, and take pics while in there, it never hurts.

rustystud

I would take the front cover off like "73m819" suggested. If the cam retaining bolts have come loose then the cam gear would be grinding on the cover. I have seen this happen on a "Cat" engine before. The problem wasn't found until the engine lost a few pushrods due to the lifters getting gouged up by the cam moving back and forth in the engine. We where investigating a low power problem.

Dieselnatalie

It was/is a party piece with Leyland L11 and TL11 engines, the idler gear chews the back of the timing case and a mystery oil leak develops. But the sight of that amount of articles in the sump gives me the shivers. Send for Mr. Holmes.

74M35A2

One thing not mentioned is that all of the shavings are of the same thickness, and maybe the same width, but different lengths.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

You could pull the radiator and then pull injector pump gear cover. I think it will either be right there, or your cam started walking and the gear got the cover. The crank could have done the same thing but it would have to be cracked or have some badly worn mains. Either way it is no longer a trustworthy motor. Start planning to either tear down and do an inframe, or swap the engine.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I pull the timing cover all I need is the single gasket I believe and while I'm in there I might as well put a front crank seal gasket. Is that correct?

Can I put my LDT HH on an LDS pump? If so maybe I'll change my injection pump to an LDS. :)

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i would check to see what metal the chips are, i don't see where you say and it really would narrow down what is happening. when the front pump cover plate is off you can check the cam for end play as well as the ip. i would replace the ip and take the old one apart for inspection. you could (maybe) drive it another 1000 miles and see how much metal it makes if any.