• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found metal chips in oil, still runs great

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that's exactly what I have going on. Ugh, looks like a big job to fix a leak. Thanks for the info.
You have chips in your oil too? It is not thaaaaat bad actually. Once you do it, you realize its not bad. The hardest part is starting the project.

Another thing to anybody that is going to take the pump off their truck and fix it: Check the timing pointers on the crank, timing advance window and hydraulic head before you take the pump off. It is a lot easier knowing where everything is when you take the pump off than to try to time it up later!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HA! I started doing head gaskets a couple weeks ago. When I took the IP off to swap out my steering column, I noticed little parts of metal just in front of my IP!

You jinxed me.

Glad I was planning on putting in a different IP anyway.

mhassett

I put my used oil in a holding rank, then pump into the truck fuel tank through three filters of 25 micron, 10 micron, and 2 micron/water stripper.
MHassett
Bush, LA

todds112

You have chips in your oil too? It is not thaaaaat bad actually. Once you do it, you realize its not bad. The hardest part is starting the project.

Another thing to anybody that is going to take the pump off their truck and fix it: Check the timing pointers on the crank, timing advance window and hydraulic head before you take the pump off. It is a lot easier knowing where everything is when you take the pump off than to try to time it up later!
No chips, thank goodness. Just the leaking. I'm thinking if I go through the trouble of pulling the IP, I'll do all the gaskets and seals. Do the lift pump seal too just in case. Bypass the FDC. Get it all over with at once!

rustystud

This is a very important point you made wildchild. Always move the damper to the timing point (primary timing ) before removing the injection pump ! I don't know how many times I've seen this not done and all the mess it causes just to get the injection pump timed. I'm talking about journeyman mechanics here ! They get in a hurry and forget the basics, always time the pump before removing it !

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HA! I started doing head gaskets a couple weeks ago. When I took the IP off to swap out my steering column, I noticed little parts of metal just in front of my IP!

You jinxed me.

Glad I was planning on putting in a different IP anyway.
Did you find them right by the access cover to the timing pump gear (right in front in a little recess)? At least you know what they are now! :roll: