• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found on road dead

OLDCHEV4X4

Vary rare.. Kind of rough.. Save that box! A good metal work guy can make it like new again. What do they want for it? I see the winch is gone is the PTO on the transmission? It is probably a M56B1 Chassis..
I dont know anything about it. I found it along the road. But if someone is serious about it, i will do some digging for ya.

nattieleather

Found On Road Dead = FORD.... :lol: backwards DROF is Driver Returns On Foot... Remember if you can't Dodge em Ram em!

Ok, sorry, I'm just having a littel fun....the title of the post made me laugh. The truck is very cool and rare and should be restored and or preserved. Unfortunatly like a lot of us right now just don't have the cash to pick it up.

wiggall

Found On Road Dead = FORD.... :lol: backwards DROF is Driver Returns On Foot... Remember if you can't Dodge em Ram em!

Ok, sorry, I'm just having a littel fun....the title of the post made me laugh. The truck is very cool and rare and should be restored and or preserved. Unfortunatly like a lot of us right now just don't have the cash to pick it up.
:funny: I like DROF! My Wife, and I each drive one FIX OR REPAIR DAILY :lol:

citizensoldier

I don't know anything about it. I found it along the road. But if someone is serious about it, i will do some digging for ya.
I wish I could but I have about 200 projects ahead of it and a well used Michigan wallet with a echo.. If it could be purchased right it has lots of good parts on it. Also its the long M56 long wheel base chassis that is rare even without the box. It has the winch extensions, winch bumpers, pintle, rear bumperets, and that box is made of the good old steel from days gone by. That box would also serve well on a bobber deuce! I just hate to see her meet the scrapper fate like so much stuff has in the last 5 years never to be made again..aua:-(:(
If a price and more info could be gathered it might just perk up someone off here that is in the region.
She looks like she gave one **** of a fight before she died! Somebody beat that truck hard!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow seen the title and thought it was about a FNG doing a recovery.

Now on the serious side of things someone needs to save this , they don't build them like this anymore .

Last edited:

pwrwagonfire

I immediately thought this was the telephone maintence truck BUT!

I knew somewhere I had read of the M-56 (M-37 chassis without bed) being made into a compressor truck...I found the link, it talks about the M-56 and variants it was used for, and shows several pictures of the CMU-5 Welder/generator truck below...

Gentleman, MY vote is that this is what it is; a CMU-5! It would be based on the M-56C, which is the M-56 with beefier suspension.

Thoughts? If so, I'd imagine this to be extremely rare

M56 CHASSIS (G-741)

Attachments

Last edited:

Tlauden

Maybe, just maybe, if the price was right I would make the trip to save this. I need a good side project. And as a FNG here I would love to get my foot in the door in this hobby. Looking at the pics it looks like it would be able to be trailered to haul

Last edited:

Bill W

Its definitly a V-41 ( later M-201 ) telephone maint body ( made by Stahl )

Pwrwagonfires photo is a ( aluminum ) Contact Maint body

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I hate to say it guys but not one of the big 3 has made a vehicle worth a wooden nickle past 1986! Nobody today makes a "civi" truck that could withstand half the abuse this truck did and survive to be along the side of the road somewhere..:) Just saying..2cents

Bill W

I don't know about that
I sold my 1988 Ford 1/2 ton with almost 200k on the clock and she was still running strong. My current 2000 F-250 diesel is about to turn 200k and she still looks and runs like new, to date the only repairs I've done to her are a new clutch, new slave, 2 alts, water pump and idler pulley., Heck I got 169,700miles off the original set of shoes

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks