• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Four wheel steering

InfiniteFoamies

Haldex is the brand pump I used, they are around $500 and work great. Only issue is I don't know if they come in 24 volt. You should be well under $1500 for a good reliable system.
Thanks! I will more than likely be installing a gargantuan 24v to 12v transformer to make my life easier with driver comforts. Hopefully it doesn't draw too much. Anything else I need to know about?

Ford Mechanic

As for useing you existing onboard air, the compressor may not have the capacity or be able to keep up with the use. Remember your brake system needs this air to provide boost. I think you would get better, more consistant service out of a electric/hydro setup. I think you'd go to using it a time or 2 and then find your too low on air to turn you wheels back, or stop properly.

M-1028

Thanks! I will more than likely be installing a gargantuan 24v to 12v transformer to make my life easier with driver comforts. Hopefully it doesn't draw too much. Anything else I need to know about?
Sounds good. One thing I learned is do not mount the pump where it can get wet, the motor is not sealed well enough to be exposed to the out doors all the time. Other than that, it's very easy to hook up, get some lines made and mount a ram. If your using the stock tie rod location use a 2.5"X10" hydraulic cylinder.

justin572

InfiniteFoamies,

Have you got a thread going somewhere for your plow mod? I'm looking into picking up am m929a2 to use as a plow truck for some dirt roads that I plow (getting really tired of having the International stuck at 3a.m.). Did you have to custom fab your plow mount, or does one off a civy truck fit?

InfiniteFoamies

I do not as it came with the plow when I got it. However, It was a W/W but did not come with a winch and I do believe it was custom made as the person i got it from kept the second mount that was with the truck (probably because its custom) for another deuce he has.

DUECE-COUPE

I would use a Multi fuel 5 ton power steering pump, and a deuce spring kit to locate the axle. As for the rear power steering system, I would locate and weld a Pitman arm from a steering box to a 3/8 plate and bolt it to the frame to match the front steering system. Use the steering arm on the axle to change the direction of the axle. This will give you a mounting point for the bi directional hydraulic cylinder which only has to have a full throw of 14 inches to move the steering forward and reverse/ left and right. This will keep all the hoses and moving parts up and out of harms way. The power steering pump has more than enough power/ pressure to support both systems. Plumb the power line to a self centering valve in the cab, and include a valve to shut off the pressure to the rear axle while operating on the road. A lock out bar would be a nice touch to ensure the axle is centered and tracking true when you head back out on the road to where ever.

Last edited:

tbone1004

oh, don't forget that the Rockwells require some diff work to get them to spin the right direction when you put them on the back. It's not like a normal axle that you just flip upside-down. I think Xtreme 4x4 has an episode on their diesel buggy where Ian showed how to do it since they used the 2.5tons and had the engine mounted in the rear

DUECE-COUPE

If you locate the front axle in the rear and orient it the same way it is located in the front, you will not have to do anything to the differential. The rockwell differentials are all the same, front or back, so just make sure you mount it with the steering arm on the left, and use a full bob kit including the caster/camber wedges. Make sure the "u" bolts are new. They stretch when installed, an will need to be replaced with new so you get a good tight fit. I would love to see i when it is done.

Hoefler

Dumb question here. When installing a front steer axel in the back, the pinion is now facing forward, as opposed to back. Will it rotate in the correct rotation off the drive shaft? Are the gears in the top and differential gears cut like a non directional spur gear or are they cut for one direction? With front installed in rear, it is now always operating in reverse.
Pete

KsM715

Dumb question here. When installing a front steer axel in the back, the pinion is now facing forward, as opposed to back. Will it rotate in the correct rotation off the drive shaft? Are the gears in the top and differential gears cut like a non directional spur gear or are they cut for one direction? With front installed in rear, it is now always operating in reverse.
Pete
If you look at a Rockwell front axle it has a flange on the front just the same as the rears have flanges on both ends.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks