• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame Stretch

tobyS

Are you keeping the fifth wheel and did you put in a couple of driveshaft supports? How about additional cross members or plating on the weld joints?

h1x2

Are you keeping the fifth wheel and did you put in a couple of driveshaft supports?
Fifth wheel is coming off this week. Then I have to add a roll off chassis to pick the hummer on a platform. Driveshaft is now 13' long with 2 carrier bearings.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Nice shop
2. Nice work
3. Nice pics.

Holy moly that thing is looooong now!

h1x2

Are you keeping the fifth wheel and did you put in a couple of driveshaft supports? How about additional cross members or plating on the weld joints?
I am adding 3 new cross members and its double plated over the joints.

tobyS

Cool... want to sell the fifth wheel? I'm not in need at the moment but want to build a sawmill that could attach to a semi or a front dolly (what I would want the fifth wheel for) that would tow behind a bobbed 923. I'm in north Indiana. What part of Illinois are you. I have a F66 4x4 ford with a crane in the middle and the sides of the frame are plated with 3/8 flat. With that distance of frame twist possible, I'd consider it while you have the chance.

h1x2

Cool... want to sell the fifth wheel? I'm not in need at the moment but want to build a sawmill that could attach to a semi or a front dolly (what I would want the fifth wheel for) that would tow behind a bobbed 923. I'm in north Indiana. What part of Illinois are you. I have a F66 4x4 ford with a crane in the middle and the sides of the frame are plated with 3/8 flat. With that distance of frame twist possible, I'd consider it while you have the chance.
Yeah I'd sell it. I'm 45 minutes SW of Chicago.

tobyS

Cool... want to sell the fifth wheel? I'm not in need at the moment but want to build a sawmill that could attach to a semi or a front dolly (what I would want the fifth wheel for) that would tow behind a bobbed 923. I'm in north Indiana. What part of Illinois are you. I have a F66 4x4 ford with a crane in the middle and the sides of the frame are plated with 3/8 flat. With that distance of frame twist possible, I'd consider it while you have the chance. You posted great pictures so I'm editing. Are you going to build the lift? Sorry this got duplicated when I tried to edit.

h1x2

Cool... want to sell the fifth wheel? I'm not in need at the moment but want to build a sawmill that could attach to a semi or a front dolly (what I would want the fifth wheel for) that would tow behind a bobbed 923. I'm in north Indiana. What part of Illinois are you. I have a F66 4x4 ford with a crane in the middle and the sides of the frame are plated with 3/8 flat. With that distance of frame twist possible, I'd consider it while you have the chance. You posted great pictures so I'm editing. Are you going to build the lift? Sorry this got duplicated when I tried to edit.
Im kind of half building it. I am using existing parts off a couple trucks

tobyS

Really nice. I thought Hummers had to be de-milled?? Are those 16 x 20's on the 818? I have 11x 20 on the 923 I'm bobbing and will go back with 16's. They look huge on the 818!! My 11's go perfect on a trailer/dumper and I have a set of air ride semi axles to use. Brakes are air, so no adaptor needed like air to hydraulic. I have a 25' frame made up, but it is really heavy, so going back to smaller I beams for the main frame, but heavy enough to add a knuckle boom at the front for log loading in the future. Oh yea, I went to Oklahoma City for 8 hummer wheels and tires that match Dexter 10k# axles with 8 lug (hydraulic disk), which makes for a heavy trailer (like behind one of those hummers).

h1x2

Really nice. I thought Hummers had to be de-milled?? Are those 16 x 20's on the 818? I have 11x 20 on the 923 I'm bobbing and will go back with 16's. They look huge on the 818!! My 11's go perfect on a trailer/dumper and I have a set of air ride semi axles to use. Brakes are air, so no adaptor needed like air to hydraulic. I have a 25' frame made up, but it is really heavy, so going back to smaller I beams for the main frame, but heavy enough to add a knuckle boom at the front for log loading in the future. Oh yea, I went to Oklahoma City for 8 hummer wheels and tires that match Dexter 10k# axles with 8 lug (hydraulic disk), which makes for a heavy trailer (like behind one of those hummers).

Its a civilian Hummer. Yeah the tires are 16x20's. Wish I had a knuckle boom for this one. I've been looking for one but cost was always high.

tobyS

Yes they are and you need a fair amount of hydraulics to run them. Have you got a PTO on this one? Or how do you plan on running the lift? I like the roll off beds but purchased a 5 stage telescoping cylinder so kinda locked in the dumping feature method (for a large trailer). I have to haul about 50 tri-axle loads from a town site to my farm, so need large dumping (but would like a roll off like you are making). Keep up the good work...and think about a frame side plate (about 3-4" past the bottom of your frame rails) that extends a couple of feet past your welds on each end...you won't regret it and it is really easy at this point. The twist possible on that long of a stretch will be large.

h1x2

Yes they are and you need a fair amount of hydraulics to run them. Have you got a PTO on this one? Or how do you plan on running the lift? I like the roll off beds but purchased a 5 stage telescoping cylinder so kinda locked in the dumping feature method (for a large trailer). I have to haul about 50 tri-axle loads from a town site to my farm, so need large dumping (but would like a roll off like you are making). Keep up the good work...and think about a frame side plate (about 3-4" past the bottom of your frame rails) that extends a couple of feet past your welds on each end...you won't regret it and it is really easy at this point. The twist possible on that long of a stretch will be large.
Ordered the pto and pump yesterday. Air operated Chelsea PTO and 30 GPM hydro pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks