• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Free Fuel for the Deuce?

koolex11

So they say nothing is free. I would like to hear testaments, if any, from people who successfully fire up their deuces with recycled fuel sources. As I research the cost effectiveness of this vehicle, I am wondering if I can really make a deal with my local Kentucky Fried Chicken to get a cheap supply for a multi-fuel vehicle?

In other words, can it be done for minimal cost with minimal aggravation?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Once you are setup with the filtering equipment, yes it works very well. I know some that run WVO and have no problems. I have run it and had problems. I believe it was because I mixed it with WMO. It just turned into cottage cheese. My experience is, stay with one or the other, don't mix them. I have access to enough WMO that, that is what I run. No problems as of yet, aside from a batch of oil with a lot of water in it.

cbvet

Waste Motor Oil can be filtered & used without a lot of expense or aggravation.
Never tried WVO.
There is a LOT of good info in the "alternative fuels" section.

This should be in the 'Alternative fuels' section.
I personally dont use anything other than Diesel, but I know a guy in northern NH that runs his off a mix of WMO (free from his shop) and old gasoline with diesel (free from his junkyard).

mikey

Last week I just scored almost 1000g (17 full drums) of clean used warehouse stored waste motor oil and Therminol 59, a petroleum like heat transfer fluid.

The company pays $400 per barrel to dispose of this, so they are throwing in brand new 275g IBC totes to help me out.

I think I'll be driving for free for the next decade.

This is one of the main reasons I chose the A2 over the A3 and I'm very happy I did.

Mikey

x-ray

I snag 55 gal drums of waste X-ray generator oil (all hi temp, nearly new, very clean mineral oil) about 1 drum/month originating from my employer. It would otherwise be taken away at an expense, even though its non hazardous. So it saves employer some and me some. I dilute it with diesel, about 50%, though I've been tempted to go a little more since it runs good on it. 55gal a month keeps my limited driving with 3 trucks at reasonable cost. I don't drive them much.

a-donof2

WVO is very corrosive from all of the acids from all the food it has cooked. When I bought my deuce it was full of home made bio-diesel, the fuel smelled like paint thinner but burned with a smell that made you want to throw up. After getting it home I drained the fuel tank and found the inside of the tank is all rusted out and has a inch of thick syrup on the bottom:cry:. When I went to change the fuel filters, the first filter on the frame was empty(he removed all the guts and tried to make it a water seperater). And for the ones on the engine they both totally clogged and coming apart. Installed all new filters and cleaned the tank out and filled it up with 10 gallons of diesel, 35 gallons of used motor oil(filter to 6 micros), and 5 gallons of gasoline. It starts up easier, runs better and it doesn't smoke very much.

Tried to make a long story short, WVO is not staple and it doesn't keep very long. So if it sits alot you will not benefit from it. But that is my 2 cents worth

Tlauden

Free no, But boy it sure does pay for itself. I usually filter about 15 gal a time mainly because thats what my filtering setup can handle in one batch. A new filter is $ and i have about $30 in parts into it, plus about 45 mins of my time. I would highly recomend at least trying it, and once word gets out that your collecting WMO you will be surprised how many people have some for ya, within a week of having my deuce i was given about 150 gallons PLUS the 200 gallons at the fire house that needed to go. So all in all you save alot of money, especially with fuel at $4 a gallon...

Im preparing to expand my system and seek out sources for oil. right now people just giving me a barrel full every now and then works just fine. and currently i cant keep up filtering alot of oil. once i get a centrifuge my plan is to heat it up and "scrub" about 50 gallons a time. And think about this if your truely serious, a centrifuge can filter down to 1 micron if you do it right, so even at $1000 for a centrifuge, and free oil to use for fuel, it will pay for itself withing what other wise would be 5 fuel ups at the pump!!!! well worth it in my opinion.2cents2cents2cents

Also check the Alt fuels section, LOTS of info there on this topic

Tyler

Flyingvan911

If you want to be totally legit you should check out fuel blending permits in PA. The fuel may be free but you could get busted big time if you don't pay fuel tax for what you burn.

bill2444

I run alot of wvo, stay away from the chicken places. It has way to much dissolved fat content. You will go thru to many filters trying to clean it up. But it does smell great!!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have a few gallons of the "FedEx" fuel, gas/diesel mix and have aquired 200 gallons of clean, used, maybe 40 hrs on it along with some new Tellus hyd. oil. Works good, but if there is too much oil it makes the truck hard to start. No issues running any of the above for the past three? years or so.

paulfarber

Cheap is relative. A good filter system with a decent capacity looks like you will spend about $800- $1,000.

Unless you are in the boonies and can have dozens of 55 gallon drums laying about, you need tanks. $100 a pop. A good motor and transfer pump $250, and a filter setup $50-500. Then you need the fuel itself. A deuce makes a great hauler.

Yes you can go cheap... but you will have to live with the results.

And even a gallon of spilled oil is a PITA to clean up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With very few exceptions my M35A2C has been running on WVO cut with diesel for 4 years.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't agree Paul. I use a pneumatic powered piston barrell pump attached to two filters. This has been in use for years and does quite well for me. Figure $100 for the pump and $50 for the filter bases at the most. I already had shop air, but it works off the deuce air if I didn't have a home compressor. Pump from drum "a" to drum "b". and you are ready to go. Some guys have made some complicated systems, and if it works for them great, but mine is simple and works great for me. Would I like a "fuge", sure, but don't have the time and money for it right now.

jerseyjeep2003

Last week I just scored almost 1000g (17 full drums) of clean used warehouse stored waste motor oil and Therminol 59, a petroleum like heat transfer fluid.

The company pays $400 per barrel to dispose of this, so they are throwing in brand new 275g IBC totes to help me out.

I think I'll be driving for free for the next decade.

This is one of the main reasons I chose the A2 over the A3 and I'm very happy I did.

Mikey
WOW, wish I could have scored on some of that!! I am spinning WMO with a centrifuge in 55 gallon batches. So far so good in my A2. I would be more than happy to help you with your excess. Again great find.

paulfarber

I don't agree Paul. I use a pneumatic powered piston barrell pump attached to two filters. This has been in use for years and does quite well for me. Figure $100 for the pump and $50 for the filter bases at the most. I already had shop air, but it works off the deuce air if I didn't have a home compressor. Pump from drum "a" to drum "b". and you are ready to go. Some guys have made some complicated systems, and if it works for them great, but mine is simple and works great for me. Would I like a "fuge", sure, but don't have the time and money for it right now.
New barrel pumps are $300-500, used can be a bargain or need major repair. You *could* spend less, but waste more time rigging, fixing and making it work.

If you added up everything you spent you would probably have closer to $500 in it than you think.

But if you have a source for $100 barrel pumps, let us know.

I think my estimate is accurate. From my own experience and reading others. If you can do a one off setup for $150 then I would say that is the exception, not the rule.