• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From one border to the other in a deuce and m105

PWM

If you come up US Highway 95 through Idaho I live a little south of Coeur d'Alene and can help if needed. US95 is a nice drive , I have done it more times than I can remember . But it is probably faster and more populated to take I84 through Oregon, then to I82 and I90 through Washington. Have a safe trip ,looking forward to seeing pictures.

bgekky3

I made a similar trip twice once with a M105 and another time with a M1008 in tow, El Paso to Ohio.

Check your trailer connections every time you stop. I forgot to check the trailer after a long line in the glass McDonalds in Oklahoma. I decided to stop at the next exit to check it. Someone disconnected my airlines to the trailer and I had manual brakes. I almost didn't make the stop at the bottom of the ramp. I connected it and made my trip.

The second trip the deuce blew up about 80 or so miles from home. I had to get towed off the highway, and take the 1008 home. I picked it up with the other truck the next day. Radials on the front don't like to be flat towed. I had to change to radials off the back of the tow truck.

Good luck. It will be fun and you will see the same vehicles pass you two or three times a day if you can hold it until you need fuel.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your trailer connections every time you stop.

Great suggestion!
I had someone step across the hitch, catch their foot on the trailer wire and pull it off. They looked around but I'm sure were afraid to get caught 'fixing it'. We were watching from the restaurant but I might not have caught the play if I didn't see it myself.

I got in the habit of touching each tire and hub with the back of my hand every time I get out. It's amazing how a few pounds of air pressure loss can heat a tire up and make it feel different than the others.

Too bad you couldn't set the go-pro on the dash and take us along for the ride. I guess we'll just wait for the book to come out. Best wishes for a safe journey with good brakes along the way.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the photos!! Have to ask, where's the M105? or are you standing by it takin photo of the truck? Hope and pray your adventure goes well!! Rubber side down, painted side don't steer worth a darn!

red

Plan for tomorrow is to check out the caverns, then swing through Roswell and head towards Socorro, NM.

Poured in 15 gallons of waste oil, looks like I burned maybe 16-19 gallons getting here from Midland. That's 175 miles fighting a head wind, maintaining 47-52mph.

red

Can't remember if you already told us:

- Have you got a camper set-up of some kind in the bed of the truck?

- Like table, chairs, bunks; or just sleeping on the bed?

And good luck throughout the trip!
I've got one of those tall air mattresses, pretty comfy. For now I'm kind of crammed in the bed with everything until the waste oil gets used up. I'll take a pic tomorrow in the light.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks