• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front axle lock lever

BIGdaddycatlin

i recently purchased a 1952 m-47 and it is missing the front axle lock in lever and related componates. i was trying to find any info about what these would look like to replace them any help would be greatly appreciated

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings and welcome. Your 1952 M47 doesn't have the components you are looking for. The
front drive on this truck is automatic in the fact that it has an ovewrrunning clutch in the transfer case. Lots of folks refer to it as a sprag. Read up on sprag operations. How complete is your M47? The are pretty rare trucks for the most part. If you will, please post up some pics of it. I have 2 M59 dumps (Dual wheel version of yours).

Jake0147

I could be way off, but are you sure that doesn't use a sprag transfer case?

Edit
Or I could be right on, and stuck in a time warp...

BIGdaddycatlin

i had know about the automatic engagement but there is another hole in the floor and directly below on the transfer case there is a part of a linkage the when slid out the front yoke will lock in

ill put pics up tomarow

Last edited:

BIGdaddycatlin

here are the pics the first is the whole floor the next us a close up of the whole cut in the floor and part of the likange u can see through it the next is the front of the transfer case and right above the yoke is wear the linkage is conected to the last photo is a close up of the one before

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is certainly a sprag transfer case. At one point it probably had a winch too. I can see the PTO data plate and the shift gate for the PTO lever. In pic 2 it shows some type of torch cut in the sheetmetal. Exactly where is that cut in relation to everything else? I'm not getting an idea of where this is at. Does this truck run? I'd be real interested in seeing some pics of the truck as a whole.

BIGdaddycatlin

the truck runs the carb is apart for a much needed rebuild i found some other pics of diffrent trucks it looks like what im talking about was connected to the back of the transmission

scooter01922

Hmm, this in interesting for sure. I think i know what you are referring to but i'm not sure how to explain what i'm thinking, better go look for a pic to show it.