• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front driveshaft phase/length

sjohn116

My front driveshaft is sloppy in the slip joint and I am trying to get good measurements for ordering a brand new one from Carolina driveline. When taking the measurement, I noticed that the u-joints aren't in phase like the rear driveshaft (front and rear u-joints on the same side of driveshaft), and this prompted two thoughts:

1). Is the front driveshaft supposed to be in phase like the rear

2). It being out of phase is making getting an accurate measurement difficult. Best I can get is 32-1/4" on center from front to rear u-joint.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be in phase, being out of phase is why it's worn out. I would remove it and fix the clocking issue and then measure.

sjohn116

If anyone finds themselves underneath or otherwise near one of their LMTV's today/tomorrow/this week, do you mind taking the on-center measurement of the front driveshaft between u-joints? I won't be able to get under mine, drop the joint, reclock the slip joint, and reassemble to get a more accurate measurement until next weekend?

I get ~29.75″ Pin to Pin. My drive shaft is the "D" upgrade.
For reference, I got a NOS front drive shaft from Equipment Parts Sales of $475 + shipping
NSN: 2520-01-545-0390 matched my existing 1996 M1078 drive shaft exactly.

IMG_4390.jpg

sjohn116

Just wanted to post this for future reference. Fleet Pride in Frederick MD is a heavy duty truck shop, I brought them a good/used front driveshaft and they straightened/balanced for $60. They regularly build new driveshafts from scratch, and when asked about the costs to build LmTV driveshafts from scratch...$400 for a brand new balanced drive shaft,
Front or rear. Just an FYI.