• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front driveshaft phase/length

sjohn116

My front driveshaft is sloppy in the slip joint and I am trying to get good measurements for ordering a brand new one from Carolina driveline. When taking the measurement, I noticed that the u-joints aren't in phase like the rear driveshaft (front and rear u-joints on the same side of driveshaft), and this prompted two thoughts:

1). Is the front driveshaft supposed to be in phase like the rear

2). It being out of phase is making getting an accurate measurement difficult. Best I can get is 32-1/4" on center from front to rear u-joint.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be in phase, being out of phase is why it's worn out. I would remove it and fix the clocking issue and then measure.

sjohn116

If anyone finds themselves underneath or otherwise near one of their LMTV's today/tomorrow/this week, do you mind taking the on-center measurement of the front driveshaft between u-joints? I won't be able to get under mine, drop the joint, reclock the slip joint, and reassemble to get a more accurate measurement until next weekend?

I get ~29.75″ Pin to Pin. My drive shaft is the "D" upgrade.
For reference, I got a NOS front drive shaft from Equipment Parts Sales of $475 + shipping
NSN: 2520-01-545-0390 matched my existing 1996 M1078 drive shaft exactly.

IMG_4390.jpg

sjohn116

Just wanted to post this for future reference. Fleet Pride in Frederick MD is a heavy duty truck shop, I brought them a good/used front driveshaft and they straightened/balanced for $60. They regularly build new driveshafts from scratch, and when asked about the costs to build LmTV driveshafts from scratch...$400 for a brand new balanced drive shaft,
Front or rear. Just an FYI.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks