• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Left Hand Geared Hub Leak Issue.

jeffy777

Good morning and Happy Easter,

Yesterday, I took my HMMWV to a designer for some ideas on what to do with it. I have driven it about 1000 miles since I got it. It had a small power steering fluid issue in the past that is fixed. While I was at the designer I noticed a drip on the drivers side wheel from the geared hub. I went a few more miles to my office. Then I took it home. It leaked a good deal more (I would say twenty or thirty drops.) My son and I cleaned the area and we feel like it is leaking from COVER,STEERING ARM ( 18 ). We are wanting to fix the problem. The TM-9-2320-280-20-2 says to tighten to 65 lb-ft.

1. So I thought I would check to see if the capscrews on the steering arm cover are not tight enough. If they are not I would taken them out one by one and add thread lock and reinstall and tighten them to 65 lb. Drain and Refill (1 pint) hub with new GO 80/90 (Gear Oil).
if that did not work
2. I would disassemble to take the Steering Arm Cover off. Clean the cover and add Anaerobic Gasket Maker then reassemble. Drain and Refill (1 pint) hub with new GO 80/90 (Gear Oil). Test and see if that works
if that is not it
3. I would bring out and endoscopic camera and see if I can find the leak somewhere else.

If you have any advice or helpful experiences I would love to hear it.
Front Fet Handed Geared Hub Location.pngGeared Hub Assembly.pngFront Driver Geared Hub Leak.jpg

Thanks,
Jeff

DatGuyC

I think the steering arm cover is below the oil level, so you should drain the hub first. Other than that its easy, just 4 bolts and it pops off. This also gives you a good chance to inspect the lock washer tabs on the spindle. If its not the cover leaking then the next thing I would expect is the input shaft seal right above it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks