• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Left Hand Geared Hub Leak Issue.

jeffy777

Good morning and Happy Easter,

Yesterday, I took my HMMWV to a designer for some ideas on what to do with it. I have driven it about 1000 miles since I got it. It had a small power steering fluid issue in the past that is fixed. While I was at the designer I noticed a drip on the drivers side wheel from the geared hub. I went a few more miles to my office. Then I took it home. It leaked a good deal more (I would say twenty or thirty drops.) My son and I cleaned the area and we feel like it is leaking from COVER,STEERING ARM ( 18 ). We are wanting to fix the problem. The TM-9-2320-280-20-2 says to tighten to 65 lb-ft.

1. So I thought I would check to see if the capscrews on the steering arm cover are not tight enough. If they are not I would taken them out one by one and add thread lock and reinstall and tighten them to 65 lb. Drain and Refill (1 pint) hub with new GO 80/90 (Gear Oil).
if that did not work
2. I would disassemble to take the Steering Arm Cover off. Clean the cover and add Anaerobic Gasket Maker then reassemble. Drain and Refill (1 pint) hub with new GO 80/90 (Gear Oil). Test and see if that works
if that is not it
3. I would bring out and endoscopic camera and see if I can find the leak somewhere else.

If you have any advice or helpful experiences I would love to hear it.
Front Fet Handed Geared Hub Location.pngGeared Hub Assembly.pngFront Driver Geared Hub Leak.jpg

Thanks,
Jeff

DatGuyC

I think the steering arm cover is below the oil level, so you should drain the hub first. Other than that its easy, just 4 bolts and it pops off. This also gives you a good chance to inspect the lock washer tabs on the spindle. If its not the cover leaking then the next thing I would expect is the input shaft seal right above it.