• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front springs

jdeoliveira74

So today I rotated my tires fronts were choppy and starting to make a bunch of road noise. While the front tires were off I noticed my front springs didnt have the nice bow in them. They look straigt across is this right. I know the thread is usless with out pics I will take some in am.

Motomech

Flat or negative arched stock springs are normal. They should only have about 4'' of upward travel before hitting the bump stop.

I also have the Rough country HD springs..At first I was using all 4 Rancho shocks up front And it was a harsh ride..I have since removed 2 of the shocks and found the ride to be much improved on and off road (We have a lot of washboard roads round here)

Adding A winch bumper and winch made the ride even better!

ssdvc

You should be able to take the stock springs to a spring shop and have them re-arch/rebuild them to whatever height you need. I spoke to one a few months ago and they said they could give mine a nice 1.5-2" lift, using the stockers.

Just a thought.

jdeoliveira74

You should be able to take the stock springs to a spring shop and have them re-arch/rebuild them to whatever height you need. I spoke to one a few months ago and they said they could give mine a nice 1.5-2" lift, using the stockers.

Just a thought.
HAVE TO FIND a spring shop... dont know any in town
good suggestion will look into

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just a thought.
I had bad luck having springs re-arched. Not too long after installing the springs one of the leaves snapped near the U-bolts. It may have been the shops fault or the age of the springs or any number of other reasons. I avoided this option when it came to reworking the springs in my M1009.

IdahoPlowboy

Had my 1009 springs re arched over a year ago and had 2 1/2 inches front and rear of lift and no problems. I am currently giving my 1028 4" inches of lift with the front being re arched and the rear will be ORD shackle flip. I will let you know how it goes. So far I will have to say with 1009 they certainly dont suck.

sweetk30

first off the fronts are tapered leafs = no rearching not good at all to do.

next you can only arch a givin leaf pack so much before you cant hook up the shackle end and not notice the axle is moved.

and as said waste of time re arching 30+ year old worn out springs. all the time/energy to half ass it just dont pay.

the solid axle gm trucks in 4x4 like these had flat stock fronts . but after years of use or worse 454 or 6.2 hanging in the front it kills the stockers.

lift springs have a longer set of leafs to give lift /arch and keep everything working correctly.

for bolt on good stuff tuff country/bds are about the top 2 name brand springs.

www.offroaddesign.com has tons of stuff for these trucks. and if you dont see it just ask. ( best to call over emails also )

and nothing wrong with denver or alcan springs just big 2cents2cents in the end. lots of guys run them and love them . just getting the bill is the killer. as thay are full custom built to your spec springs.