• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front suspension mods AKA - ride improvement mods AKA - butt happiness mods

Jericho

A little down the thread , but, I have broken tons of springs on my trucks over the years. My drive way is three miles of XXX 4x4 or 10x10 low range to get to my house. Just an observation, but, my spring failures are likely a case of side to side flex UNLOADED. Heavy load puts your spring pack into compression, And keeps them relitivly aligned, I believe my failures are the result of empty bed side to side flex, Just a thought , love the IFS idea, but , Getting too old to add to my project list. Thorougly enjoy the banter, learn something every time I read it.

someoldmoose

Definitely winner for least expensive ride improver. I don't ever plan to sell mine. They'll find it, and me in it during some archeological dig Eons from now. It'll change their history. Who knew Jackazzes drove trucks in the 21st Century ?

red

Adding weight to the front helps. I added these boxes to the front of my wrecker to carry the snatch blocks as a counterweight when lift towing but it helped smooth the ride out as a added benefit. There's about 600 pounds added.

IMG_20160901_134307681_HDR.jpgIMG_20160901_134254416_HDR.jpg IMG_20160729_203229871.jpgIMG_20160729_200050990_HDR.jpgIMG_20160813_185917750.jpg

Mos68x

Adding weight to the front helps. I added these boxes to the front of my wrecker to carry the snatch blocks as a counterweight when lift towing but it helped smooth the ride out as a added benefit. There's about 600 pounds added.

View attachment 685802View attachment 685801 View attachment 685804View attachment 685803View attachment 685805
Once I get the front chassis extended I really need to find some of those tool boxes you have red. I definitely need more room for tools and I don't really want to put them aft of the cab at all, that is reserved for other things, like fuel tanks, generators, and general storage.

red

Once I get the front chassis extended I really need to find some of those tool boxes you have red. I definitely need more room for tools and I don't really want to put them aft of the cab at all, that is reserved for other things, like fuel tanks, generators, and general storage.
I used the passenger side step boxes from m939 series trucks, just rolled them on their side and cut the steps off. Another option like this member did was to use the box that mounts on the spare tire rack on the tractors/dump trucks.

DSC04933.jpgDSC04931.jpg

Mos68x

Either way, I'm sure that hold enough weight to smooth the front suspension ride. Be really nice if I could mount another spare tire up there permanently, but headlights would be the problem.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran across this pdf yesterday and it seems to fit well here. It's rather long and technical but good reading anyways. From the dates it would appear this was a trial for the M809 series trucks. Interesting the military entertained this idea but glad they didn't make a move on it. This idea brings the problematic plastic/aluminum radiators of today to mind. I don't think composites belong in heavy truck leaf spring assemblies.

Clicking the link downloads a pdf file.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...hdkIOATIaPuxXHK2A&sig2=MQymVW225z-LcdN1ldLOKg

red

Red, ya done it again. Was gonna mount spare on back of box, but now it's goin UNDER the "front porch". An M820 with "air bag", whooooda think ?
Castle Bravo is the one who pointed me towards the step boxes. Was discussing the idea of using the tractor/dump boxes up there when he got the measurements for the step boxes and realized that they work even better for my particular application.

A spare tire could be mounted up there under the front bumper. Probably not a super single but a 11x20 or maybe even 2 mounted side by side could work. Use the spare tire carrier from a m35a2 and bolt it onto each frame rail (where my boxes are bolted). Gonna reduce the offroad approach angle but helps in other ways by adding front weight, a rubber bumper, and even makes a step for walking up to the engine bay.

Deuce spare tire carrier mounted on a m103a2 trailer, for reference.

IMG_20160927_123909914_HDR.jpg

someoldmoose

red, mebbe ya didn't catch it. My front porch is gonna be about 40" from back of bumper to grille ( enough to set up a lawn chair and still reach my beer tap hood ornament. Figure I'll make a super duty spare tire lift like the back of SUVs and pick ups. Obvi, with some extra support when in the raised position. Now, more room to mount stuff out back.

Mos68x

40"?! Holy crap Moose! Whatcha need all that real estate for? I could be wrong but it thought the standard front winch extensions only bumped it out about 18"

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How quickly we get off topic! I guess it's the spice that adds to the threads.

I have a 140lb winch and about a dozen custom bumper ideas to house it. That's a good start. Also may build in a place to securely mount the tow bars. There is some more weight. I figure winch mount to be at 75 lbs, bare minimum, 100lbs realistic minimum and 200lbs in reality. I'm going for a full on bumper modification with the stock bumper only acting as the skeleton that everything gets welded to. Standby for custom bumper mod thread. If you don't see it, that means I royally screwed it up. Especially if you see a "WTB 939 front bumper" thread.

Mos68x

Lol it never seems to take long for me or Moose to get distracted it seems lol. ****SQUIRREL!!****

Front bumper needed ASAP! Lol

I wouldn't weld it, at least not until you know you like it. Bolts are easy to fix...just take them out...welds not so much lol.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks