• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frustrated with idle

Broke Down

First off I have used the search engine with lots of mixed answers.

Sorry I know this is a redundant topic but I getting frustrated.

I have cleaned the governor with carbon cleaner, jb80, and brake parts cleaner and I still have an erratic idle. Am I missing something? I cleaned inside the housing where the fuel cut off cable runs inside the cover with two bolts. Sometimes it will run great then the next time you let off it starts all over. I also have been driving it in first gear at 1500-2000rpms for a while trying to see if it needed to be ran. I also have changed the fuel out a few months back to fresh fuel and added a generous amount of fuel cleaner.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leak on a fuel line? Hole? Loose fitting? Mine didn't and probably doesn't like mixed fuel. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. There are MANY on here with a HUGE wealth of knowledge that can "chime in"
God bless, and good luck with the truck
Tony:smile:

Broke Down

Thanks, I didn't notice any leaks but I might have to degrease the engine bay so I can make sure, I haven't went that far but I did give the fuel lines a once over.

moriboy

I have had idle problems as well. I finally found the issue today when I pulled the ip off...... Water in the HH.
It was only in one injection line.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have fresh fuel filters(all 3)?

Broke Down

Even though the filters seem clean and there is no trash pouring out of them should I still change them? I'm not aware of how touchy they are with filters.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would replace the filters and the gaskets, to eliminate those as possible cause for poor idle. It's basic maintenance, not time or money wasted.

Is your in-tank pump operational? Have you checked the pressure at the secondary filters?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On top of the secondary filter housings, there is either an petcock or a plug. Check for pressure there. About 6 psi with the engine off and in-tank pump running.

If you simply open the petcock, it should be "guessable" that it's OK, if it shoots up wards some.

Broke Down

Okay, I'm feeling a little more confident now knowing there is more than the governor and leaks. I'll have to start at the tank and work to the injectors. Thanks guys for the responses, I know how redundant threads are, I'm just going crazy and feel overwhelmed because this engine is new to me.

cvh20

I had a similiar issue with idle dropping too low. Turned out to be previous operator had changed the length of the rod that connects to the gas pedal and it was too long (and binding below the pedal). It was beyond just adjusting with the screw adjuster so it took me a while to figure out that was the problem. Looking back, mine would idle just fine if I pulled out the throttle cable 3/4 inch, so I should have known the problem was in the pedal linkage.

Broke Down

I doubt mine is the rod, it idles at 800rpm. If the truck starts jumping in rpm I can lightly place my foot on the throttle and let off which will make the engine plane out a little. But if I bump the throttle it starts over up and down in the rpm.

ratat98

Have you driven it fairly far lately? Mine was having idle problems also, but I was only driving it 6-7 miles a day.. I took it on a 40 mile trip and its ran fine ever since! Sometimes they just need the cobwebs burnt out of them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks