• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frustrated with idle

Broke Down

I haven't got all the paperwork together to drive it legally on the road, so I have been found and round our 5 acre patch trying to keep it above 1500rpm

ratat98

I was surprised what the 40 mile trip at 50mph did for mine! I was thinking about looking for a spare IP before that because I was afraid mine was going bad, but all it took was some road time! I also added quart of ATF to the fuel tank to clear out the lines but I don't know if that did anything or not.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put some Diesel Kleen in the tank when you go for your long drive.. Also, if the problem persists, check your intank pump. The bottom might of fallen out of it. It happens...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Duke, I've got to go to bed. But in absence of a hard road run, find something heavy (Like the 5 ton) to hook behind it and drag it around and work the engine a bit. Filter changes, and a heavy dose of diesel kleen and a splash of gasoline in the tank should help.

Broke Down

No worries Andrew, I know your busy.......I'm just being a pansy ...lol. I think some hard driving is in order, I have two five tons here I could drag along with a few more items. I think I just really need to drive the piss out of the truck for a good ride, Stacy has a fat girlfriend of hers I could throw in the back.....j/k.

Thanks everyone for the wide range of help, I feel much better seeing this is normal and seems to not to be too much concern due to this being a normal issue. I have some more cleaner I'll throw in with some gas and I'll get it road ready soon.

sandcobra164

My truck did the very same thing after a turbo install during which I broke the plastic lines going to the flame heater on the intake. It became hard to start when cold (30 seconds of cranking opposed to the normal 1/2 second) and would hunt for idle. It'd run fine once I put my foot on the throttle. It had only a small drop of fuel every few seconds coming out of the severed line but nonetheless, I fixed the lines and all is back to normal. Diesels act funny if there's any possibility that air can be sucked into the supply lines. Ask some NHC 250 5 ton owners. They don't even have the luxury of an in tank pump and the ones who have cargo's are lucky. Ask some who have a 817 or 818 with the tank select valve and the short "spider" fuel lines. I agree, my truck loves a good long road trip as indicated in the previous responses from other folks.

ratat98

Hey broke down,
My truck has the clear poly fuel lines, and when I replaced the o-rings in my manifold heater, I watched air bubbles backfeed in the supply line to the heater down to the IP and everytime one would enter the IP it would sputter a bit, so this is definitely a problem worth looking into also.

sandcobra164

The oil is coming from above the exhaust manifold. Possibly valve cover gasket. Even if it truly is the head gasket, I've read many times on here as well as in some older PS Magazines that the Army puts out that it's considered normal and fine on a multi to leak a small amount of oil between the head and the block. Perhaps it's considered a rust proofing application. On mine it helps to keep the passenger side inner frame rail and front axle lightly coated and rust free!!!

phil2968

I've read many times on here as well as in some older PS Magazines that the Army puts out that it's considered normal and fine on a multi to leak a small amount of oil between the head and the block.
What about coolant? Remember mine at the Ga Rally? We watched the coolant drip slowly from between the block and head. That truck made it up there and back with a Chirstmas Parade thrown in! My bobber suffers the same problem with the coolant leaks. You get used to it. A couple of tablespoon fulls I don't care about. The gallon of coolant on the driveway causes some concern however.
My blocks are always oily, never worried about it unless I see a puddle of oil underneath. I love that old engine, let her leak!

phil2968

I might run it until I notice more.
Me and Sandcobra and someone else that I don't remember were looking at my truck after dark and noticed the coolant leak. I was a little concerned at first but after the trail rides and the 500 mile trip up and back home she did good, never ran hot.

sandcobra164

Phil,
If it's truly a gallon of coolant bubbling out, I'd be concerned and ready to change the gaskets. Try this trick, take about a cup of water and pour it out on your driveway. You'd be amazed how big a spot just that small amount will make. I personally am more prone to fix a coolant leak as the smell of hot coolant running down the motor is unbearable to me. Of course, I have a 97 Silverado that had coolant leaks all the time until I got away from Dex Cool coolant and did a thorough flush and switch to Ethylene Glycol (green) antifreeze.

Broke Down, degrease the motor, at minimum, the passenger side and run it. Post back how much is actually coming out. Mine just puts out enough to leave the side of the motor moist enough to attract dust.