• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FT HOOD Museum Pics

doolest

my son and i went there last may with his scout troop...the MP was our host...had a great time and got a lot of education...was awesome getting to see some tanks out practicing on the range...spent quite a bit of time at the museum and equipment display...if any of you have youth in a Scouting unit (or many other groups) I highly recommend seeing if you can get a reservation made (fills up early so I would suggest starting as quick as you can)...each unit that takes the assignment does the experience a bit different...they boys loved the barracks and getting to go to the chow call surround with gi's with m-16's on their backs...truly a memorable experience I highly recommend...plus an opportunity to check out the army's current fleet

Katahdin

Indeed, the drive around base to see all the current armor is nothing short of spectacular! I met my brother's boss, a major, who claimed Hood was the largest military base in the world.

The pictures I took are from both museums, I might be able to get inside a motor pool of the current stuff tomorrow. Here's some more armor pics:

Attachments

Katahdin

Here's a Russian truck I became rather enamored with. The interesting thing about it was the two rear axles had independent drive shafts. It also had a winch tucked up in the frame rails but the PTO shaft to the winch was missing.

winch_in_frame_rails.jpgrear_axle.jpgmiddle_axle.jpgmiddle_axle2.jpgKrAZZ-255b-2.jpgKrAZZ-255b-1.jpgfront_transfer_aircase.jpgfront_diff.jpgdual_rear_drive_shafts.jpg3_shaft_transfercase.jpg

doolest

I don't remember seeing that russian truck...may have just misesed it...having issues trying to upload my son"s fav pics from FT hood...I hope we get to go back again for another visit soon

Katahdin

I just got back to Maine last night, just narrowly missed the snow storm. The day before I went back to get some more M37 pictures including the shelter. Its an S-144 Electronic Equipment shelter, looks designed for the M37 looking at the data plates.

Still many many pictures to post!

Attachments

I'll bet if you're tall your head would pop above the armor on that jeep (M151A1). I wonder how much that armor affects the handling of that MUTT and how slow it makes it? I don't imagine you'd want to turn very quickly with that rig.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks