• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter # for M817

Rene M

I know this was an old post but here in the information on the swap adapter.
The BF-1259 fuel filter uses a BF-1311 base. Its quite common on lots of newer large and medium duty Diesel trucks.

I converted our M817 to a spin-on about 10 years ago, after searching for more than a week for a cartridge.

I use the Baldwin BF-1259. They are around $18, including tax. I think the adapter was around $20. I'm sorry I don't have the part number, like I said, it was 10 years ago.

jwaller is right, they are tiny compared to the original. The flow volume is supposed to be the same, but the surface area of the filter is about 1/3. That means flow will be restricted with only 1/3 the contamination. The cartridge should last roughly 3 times as long, so in the end it might be cheaper.

We keep fresh fuel, and I cleaned out the tank myself, so it hasn't been a problem for us.

Cam Morehead

I will retain the stock set up but need to replace the filter. I have not ordered the filter yet. It has been 14 degrees here for 2 weeks and I have not wanted to mess with it. I drained the separator many times and it is still nasty so I just quit until I can replace the filter.

Rene M

I had a very serous water contamination problem. Your best bet will be to pull the lower 1 1/2 drain plug drain and flush out the tank. then replace your fuel and filter. It will make life so much better to fix the problem first then filter the rest out. Just my .02

I will retain the stock set up but need to replace the filter. I have not ordered the filter yet. It has been 14 degrees here for 2 weeks and I have not wanted to mess with it. I drained the separator many times and it is still nasty so I just quit until I can replace the filter.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As did i but until i flushed them out the baffles kept the crud in the the back of the tank and it kept seeping out and in to the filter. filling it.
Just trying to help.
same here, i could not keep filters, in the end i had to pull the tank and steam clean it

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope I don't get bashed here......

I have an 818 and am constantly having to drain off trash at the separator. Is this where the fuel filter is? Inside the cylinder under the driver fender? How do you remove the lower cylinder to access the cartridge? How do you prime the system or do you fill it with diesel before re-installing? Thanks, Cam
If you constantly have to drain crap out of the separator, you have a terribly dirty fuel system. Drop both tanks and have them cleaned out. No other way around this unless you are adding dirty fuel. This COULD be possible if you are trying to burn anything but clean diesel.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on the dash ,right by thr lower , left panel insert screw
Ron, are you kidding? I thought that was for the engine pre-heater. You learn something new everyday! I always pre-prime the fuel filter by filling the fuel filter cannister, but I had no idea that pumping the primer lever would do the same thing. On the M939 series, there is a primer pump near the injection pump. You do have to push the button a hundred times or so (I might be off a bit, but you do have to hit that button quite a few times).

Cam Morehead

I know I am getting good fuel because the M35 runs great. I dread throwing all that diesel away in my M818 but I also hate pulling over on the side of the road to drain the separator too.....:-(

jasonjc

Ron, are you kidding? I thought that was for the engine pre-heater. You learn something new everyday! I always pre-prime the fuel filter by filling the fuel filter cannister, but I had no idea that pumping the primer lever would do the same thing. On the M939 series, there is a primer pump near the injection pump. You do have to push the button a hundred times or so (I might be off a bit, but you do have to hit that button quite a few times).

Yep that is also the priming pump. You HAVE too open the drain up on the intake elbow for it to work though. This is in the -10:wink:

These guys http://www.filter1.com/ have the fule filter WIX 33401 for $34.44. It list for $87. They also have the the Deuce filters.

Last edited:

KsM715

Yep that is also the priming pump. You HAVE too open the drain up on the intake elbow for it to work though. This is in the -10:wink:

What happens if you don't open that drain? I was trying to get my M818 started today after sitting all winter. I tried to use the primer pump and it was VERY hard to pump. I had fuel leaking out of one of the lines while doing this.

Edit: this is where it leaks when using the priming pump.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks