• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump part number

Kenneth Cole

Hi
Sorry gentleman but I tried searching the internet and had no luck. Guess I was just not asking the right questions. As for the TM's I was not aware that I would be able to find a none military part number within them.
Ken

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
to be fair, converting from a part number in the TM to one you can pick up at NAPA can be a bit of a pain in the butt.
Normally I have to take the NSN, go to PartTarget.com, then start going through the list of all part numbers that belong to that NSN. Sometimes you get lucky and the first part number you try crosses over, other times you'll try a dozen part numbers before finding one that shows up. Then there are times when you are really unlucky and none of the part numbers cross in their system, and you have to keep doing searches until you find something that does cross somewhere else, then try taking THAT part number and searching at your preferred vender of choice.

I don't mind requests like this so much because the one part number (12342893) doesn't directly cross in NAPA's lookup system. it shows up as 300 possible parts, 13 of them fuel pumps, and all of those solid state electrical type.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Step 1: Look in the manual and find the part number.

EDIT: if you right click your mouse anywhere on the page in the PDF, one of the options it brings up is "find"
Using the "find" search function will greatly speed up finding whatever you are looking for, provided you know the correct term to actually search for.
In this case "pump" brings up 104 times in the 24p-1 that it finds that term. It then takes a matter of seconds to locate the correct page.

fuel pump -1.jpg
In the above picture there is the note *a part of item 1
So next page has the part numbers. In this case what we want is the NSN (National Stock Number)
fuel pump -2.jpg

We then take the NSN and go to this website that has all the information associates with government part numbers or NSNs.

The page that comes up should look like this.
download (5).jpg
At the top right corner there is a search box. Take that NSN and enter it in, making sure to select "NSN" before hitting the search button.

That will bring you to this page:

Then you start going through the MFG SKU one at a time, copying the number and pasting it into your preferred parts source one at a time, until you come up with a good hit.
download (6).jpg

In this case, I got a lot of wrong parts until I got to part number "6472357" which is the 7th number on the top list, or in the bottom list it's the 3rd. Sometimes easier to use the bottom list and try the manufacturers that are common here, like General Motors, rather than something obviously foreign like the ones from Hungary.

download (7).jpg

The pictures in both pages show parts that look pretty much identical, so we're done here for now.

EDIT: not to toot my own horn, but something like this write up would probably be pretty beneficial to new members here so if someone wants to either make this a sticky, or take this and add it to or make a thread for how to look up parts at your local auto parts store, that would probably cut back on some of these types of threads.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your making it even more difficult than it has to be…the part number by itself crosses to civilian part numbers and vendors with just s Simple Google search of the part number listed in the TM, you don’t have to cross the NSN to find all the companies that made.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or I could continue to just give the part number every time someone asks "what part number do I need to buy this at NAPA/Oreillys/CutRate/CarQuest etc.

Yes, you can find plenty of fuel pump part numbers by just searching the original part. That doesn't answer the question though of "what part number do I buy at NAPA?" as NAPA doesn't recognize that number in their system. So at that point you'll still have to find cross referenced part numbers for that pump.
A couple times I trusted random websites that gave cross reference numbers like that, and ended up with parts that, while functionally equivalent, have some feature that makes them unusable for my specific application. One example is belt tensioners. You cross one part number, to an aftermarket part number, that then someone else crosses to their part, and after you get the part in you realize that it will interfere with the belt because they put the travel limiter on the opposite side from the one you have.

I was trying to do it as a teaching moment so that in the future when a part DOESN'T come up immediately during a basic web search, they will have more options to find the part they are looking for, or functional equivalents thereof. I have a lot more faith in the PartTarget website than I do listings on ebay or amazon.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or I could continue to just give the part number every time someone asks "what part number do I need to buy this at NAPA/Oreillys/CutRate/CarQuest etc.

Yes, you can find plenty of fuel pump part numbers by just searching the original part. That doesn't answer the question though of "what part number do I buy at NAPA?" as NAPA doesn't recognize that number in their system. So at that point you'll still have to find cross referenced part numbers for that pump.
A couple times I trusted random websites that gave cross reference numbers like that, and ended up with parts that, while functionally equivalent, have some feature that makes them unusable for my specific application. One example is belt tensioners. You cross one part number, to an aftermarket part number, that then someone else crosses to their part, and after you get the part in you realize that it will interfere with the belt because they put the travel limiter on the opposite side from the one you have.

I was trying to do it as a teaching moment so that in the future when a part DOESN'T come up immediately during a basic web search, they will have more options to find the part they are looking for, or functional equivalents thereof. I have a lot more faith in the PartTarget website than I do listings on ebay or amazon.
i get it, But unfortunately you have to Apply the “KISS” theory just like we did in the military….if not , you are just under the assumption the individuals will actually remember a rather complex method of finding part numbers via NSN.
I was an instructor for 28yrs in my Civilian job as a communications engineer, I wrote white papers, Mfg documentation and taught classes…99.9% would literally call me the following week after a class asking me basic questions on the very platform they were required to pass a test in order to pass the class, first question I asked was “do you have the manual?”
The answer 9 out of 10 times was No….they just couldn’t help themselve, it was easier to call Tech Support.
we ultimately ended up implementing an addition to our back office system “Remedy” that we were able to select a tab that said “yes or no” on whether a tech had his manuals on hand before calling tech support, techs woukd literally sit on a site for 8hrs waiting for a tech support engineer to call back without ever opening a book to help themselves.

Action

On the parttarget site, why not just enter the part number in the search box at top right? Instead of switch the search from part number to nsn, then having to type a longer number.

Guyfang

Staff member
I will add something here. Parts Target, and similär sites do not tell you all the info about the NSN/Part number. These sites use the FEDLOG, (Federal Logistics Data on Mobile Media) data base to provide info. They "rent, or lease" the use of FEDLOG. The FEDLOG provides WAY MORE info then what you see listed by these firms. After all, they are in it for the money.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
i get it, But unfortunately you have to Apply the “KISS” theory just like we did in the military….if not , you are just under the assumption the individuals will actually remember a rather complex method of finding part numbers via NSN.
I was an instructor for 28yrs in my Civilian job as a communications engineer, I wrote white papers, Mfg documentation and taught classes…99.9% would literally call me the following week after a class asking me basic questions on the very platform they were required to pass a test in order to pass the class, first question I asked was “do you have the manual?”
The answer 9 out of 10 times was No….they just couldn’t help themselve, it was easier to call Tech Support.
we ultimately ended up implementing an addition to our back office system “Remedy” that we were able to select a tab that said “yes or no” on whether a tech had his manuals on hand before calling tech support, techs woukd literally sit on a site for 8hrs waiting for a tech support engineer to call back without ever opening a book to help themselves.
Kenneth Cole ,

What was said by Retiredwarhorses really is true... The sitting and waiting to be helped part happens and worse than that is trying really hard to find it yourself - and it "just isn't working". All of us have had that problem at some point in time. The most difficult thing is searching in these TM's will be trying to find the part or figure out what the heck the military called that particular part. I always fall back to "Cab Support (the correct name) while searching for "biscuit" or "bushing" both which could be technically right - but are WRONG as far as the books are concerned. I was miserable about that sort of stuff for a while. Using the book more frequently made the book better - or possibly I got smarter the more I used it (them).

Sometimes PartTarget will help like @Coug suggested too. His step by step there is pretty darn good too... There will be times when you wonder why they even bother because their description is just about useless. There will even be vendors / manufacturers listed in "PT" but don't get too excited about that being really useful... Quite a number of "those people" had a contract. Contract may have been fulfilled and they don't have anything to sell you. Others just don't sell to the general public (that's us!).

And there is the magic thing that most of us have heard before too - where KISS is a definite thing! (Not the rock band!)

So, I rambled on and on... Hopefully you got some good from all the discussion.
You ask, we will help. (and you will help the next guy as you learn answers to stuff) :)
Especially if you are starting to get the hang of how it all works.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've run across the same thing in the civilian world.

One of the instructors for certification in my job worked for a company with an industrial certification, to teach people and certify them as either consumer or commercial level. He always made sure we had his phone number in case we needed help.

He told of one guy that called him and asked him for help with a job. After a couple questions back and forth, it was discovered this technician hadn't even gotten out of his service truck and looked at the machine; he just showed up on site and called for help.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It ain't complex
Just use the suggestions
It took a couple of whiles to put that together in writing.....

papakb

From an old post of mine:

I just did this job on a friends HMMWV and there's no good way to push the fuel pump actuator pin back up into the block without removing the mounting plate. The gaskets are readily available and fit 1955 thru 1995 GM engines and only cost a few bucks so bite the bullet and remove the plate. I used wheel bearing grease to hold the pin up in the block when I remounted the plate and it washes out after the engine warms up so it won't cause any problems down the line. Use a touch of Permatex Hi-Tack to hold the gaskets in place. A word of advice when you do this job, remove the right splash panel and have a long extension with either a 3/8 swivel socket or a universal with a 3/8 socket to put things back together. This allows you to tighten everything up reaching in over the frame rather than busting your knuckles on all the solid stuff in the neighborhood.

Google these part numbers:

Gasket mounting plate to block: FEL-PRO 5182 (need 2)

Fuel pump: Spectra Premium SP1143MP ($35)

Pushrod: Carter PR4 or Dorman 03875

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Crazy WOW... I try to help. BUT come on guy's. Spending 20 plus thousand on a rig and no after the sale / dealer support? Don't mind sharing knowldge...But not going to take the test for you. And if I did good chance the answers would be wrong. LOL.

PARTS and numbers already covered.

You get a GOOD counter person. NAPA/O'reillys/CutRate/CarQuest etc. Ask nice... Fuel pump, 86, Chevy, 6.2, diesel, fuel pump... Don't confuse the person with your new HumV. Help finds pump. See the picture, vent or no vent. Check for the included gasket or get one AND the spacer 4 hole gasket. Remember GOOD counter person. Grab a tube of gasket maker if needed. Pull out credit card. Go home and get busy. One hour later done and running. Also a big dollop of axle grease, some Bengay and Band-aids. Not the B&B one thinks.

Before one gets busy. At least look at the exploded view of the task one is about to dive into. TM or google...UTUBE ??

Newbie Note Worthy Notes: FUEL PUMP Proactive post..... cuz it's coming next.

Rubber hoses easy.
Flare fitting. Hold the pump fitting "block" with wrench. Then go at the output flare tube nut with another wrench. TWO wrench off, TWO on. DO NOT let the "pump output block" move on the pump housing. Study it, see picture.

Pump easy removal held by two bolts.

Here's where the frustration or a BIG headache can ruin the day.
Remove the spacer/ adapter plate. Two more small bolts right where the pump came off and get ready to catch the push rod. Do not let it fall out and hit the ground or your head. Clean up all the parts and pieces. Bolts wire brush the crud out, old gasket junk... do the block too.

Here's a trick. Goes back together the way it came apart so don't over think it. Get the gaskets ready, gooped up with the gasket maker or go dry. Slap on a lot of grease on the push rod. Put push rod back up in the bore hole. Not sure, eyeball it with a flashlight. Easy to see if your a contortionist. The deal here is to get it to stay and stick up there. (could be a good time to check wear on rod)

The tricky part. With some help have helper "bump" the starter over. Little bump (one second) on command from the mechanic. Mechanic will put pressure on the end of rod with finger. The idea here is to get the rod to travel deep into the engine or to say on the back side of the cam lobe. Travel is about 5/8 +/- inch. Missed the spot...go around again (bumping) till you get it all the way up there. You will not pinch your pinkie. Use a clean dowel if worried.

With the grease holding rod up deep in the bore... get busy fast and put the plate / spacer back on (gaskets too if using) Keeping an eye or a finger on that slippery push rod. (enough grease it should hold) IT HAS to stay up there to make this work and easy. Start bolts and leave a little loose.

Then check rod again and get the pump / arm and gasket up in there quickly... before the rod has a chance to slide down. The pump exhibits a light pre-load resistance as the pump arm meets the end of the rod. Any strong resistance to mating to the spacer plate... double check rod position. It MUST be deep in the bore or you will be fighting the spring in the pump. This is not easy or fun. Might have to re-bump. If rod start to slide... push it back in the deep position. If you'er fooling around, becomes a game. First timer wishing they had three hands.

Ideally, Pump arm will go easy in and a light contact, arm to rod end. Position pump flush / flat / squared against adapter plate, start bolts tighten all four to spec.

Input feed hose, output fitting using two wrenches and vent. Wipe it down all the goop and grease.

I get all the gooped up parts preambled, bolts and spacer at the ready, wrenches in hand. Bing, bang, BOOM.

I was a little short with the OP. So here's the long version, CAMO

pump.jpg
plate.jpg
push rod.jpg8777596-grumpy-old-man.jpga

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks