• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel sticker violation in NC

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, sorry to disagree, but most of the opinions here are wrong. IFTA is federal and applies to everyone with 3 axles regardless of weight unless it is an RV. a deuce is most certainly not an RV and this has been tested in court. in PA you likely will get a ticket with a big fine. this has also gone to court and the fine was upheld. in most other ststes you will also get a ticket, it has nothing to do with commercial, historic tags, etc. if you have 3 axles, you will be violating the law if you do not have a sticker. same goes for any fuel other than taxed pump fuel. all these mixes people like to use to save fuel are illegile and eventually you may get caught.

now the thing to do is contact the revenue dept of your state as individual states can dictate how IFTA is enforced. for instance in maryland they have agreeded not to include historic tags under the program. in md you can also get a free pass good for 15 days to travel in other states and those states are supposed to honor it.

IFTA has been around for a long time and just has not been enforced. now with revenues low and states hurting for money i think you will start to see more of this.

tom
The only truth I could find in THIS whole post, is the LAST SENTENCE. And what is "illegile" ???

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere in this thread, someone QUIOTED the IFTA regs., it gave the exemptions, one of them was TOW COMPANIES, does that mean those of us that own WRECKERS are exempt ???????

"Tow trucks or wreckers designed and exclusively used in the business of towing or otherwise rendering assistance to abandoned, disabled or wrecked vehicles"
Tow trucks are not exempt, if they cross state lines.

dittle

I went to get the NC sticker, but could not because I only have $300,000 liability, and not the mandatory $750,000

Typical. You're required to have the stickers but there are regulations that prevent you from getting the sticker due to you not meeting a criteria that is clearly set for a commercial application. Now you're stuck between a rock/hard place.

hummer4x4guy

Perhaps a "Not for hire" on the sides of the truck can help also. If you are using a 3 axle truck (a semi) ya need the IFTA tags. I see many large type trucks with "not for hire" on the sides and this might be something to look into. Do fight it also. I would bet many govt sectors are doing all they can to snag up 100.00 here and 100.00 there... because our govt does not know how to say no to spending.
Joel

dmetalmiki

this is really offputting

Reading throuh all these posts (and a BIG headache later) it seem to us, that, if the the laws are emphatically and rigorously enforced..then literally 1000s of just plain ordinary people persuing their hobbies and interests and would be prevented from doing so. A glum prospect indeed. I would DREAD having all this red tape hassle and persecution hanging over me , when simply trying to represent and sponsor a portion of military history.

I note not one person mentioned the multi fuel. Stopped and asked? me? of course. Answer?. Duties BEEN paid mate!. don't MATTER how many garages depots and motorists disopsed of it..some poor punter oriiginally PAID the duty while putting the (wrong!) fuel in the motor!.

There is a definate quoter of "free" fuel allowed in the form of bio / vegi / and other clean fuels. ((ordinary cars are allowed 2000 ltrs. )) then you apply to pay (some) tax on it. fairly UN-complicated that don't you think.?
Road tax free. (concession) vehicle before 1970s. drive it on a B (car) llicence. UNLADEN and (or) towing an UNLADEN trailer.

This for HISTORIC class vehicles. (no weight mentioned!) UNLESS you "load" iether the truck or trailer. ( even with a tuckbox) and in that case. eeeezy. Get yer'self a licence in "type" small to large heavy truck. now't to do wi' wheels . ITS THE WEIGHT. this applies to all the E.U. if I was isome of those counties over there I'd take up fishing.

zout

I really thank Paul Farber for the input.

The manual for IFTA was attached. It is for each of us to individually contact the offices that regulate this to see if each of us are in compliance. Yes each state had individual smaller regulations that either get enforced or overlooked.
But as each gov't individual entity gets lower on buget money available they will go head hunting to create funds wether legal - mandaory - right or wrong - they will just be looking for funds to uphold their jobs and income - just as the DOT is doing with the new regulations.

I am not an expert nor a lawyer but I am a fleet manager with 197 powered units on the road with another truckload division of over 65 units running out of Raleigh NC. I deal with IFTA - permit books - VIRS - Driver Qualifications - all day long.

Its not a pissing match - it is a thread to find out how each of us as SS members can legally run or should run without getting pulled over and legally fined. Get caught with oil - veggie oil - trans fluid what ever in the fuel is a whole nother story and thread and also each should know what is legal and illegal to operate on.

CDL is a nother whole thread and not saying nothing.

This is a great thread - informative - and if we are operating these units I would personally not take anyones word for squat and find out what I need to legally run and operatre the vehicle along with the proper insurance coverage for what it it operated under.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Tow trucks are not exempt, if they cross state lines.
That is correct Pete...all six of my wreckers/special transport tractors(over 26K) have IFTA Stickers, and yes...they are checked frequently. The other 10 don't count as they are <26K.
Problem is...I doin't make any money lately!!:oops::oops:

Last edited:

Tlauden

Wow lots of good info here! In my opinion though IFTA should apply to companies, corporations, businesses alone. Why screw with individual personal vehicles when they could be gettin big bucks from fleets breaking these rules ( I'm sure there out there...)

To the OP, good luck and keep us updated.

dittle

Why screw with individual personal vehicles when they could be gettin big bucks from fleets breaking these rules

Because they (the states) can make money of private individuals as well. Long and short of it.....money is the driving force behind the whole IFTA regulation.

zout

You have to rememebr all these gov't agencies are running out of funds - they have to create new regulations - enforce BS regulations which have nothing to do with safety / highway damage due to weight or whatever.

For example - placard holders for haz mat haulers - if the holders are not mounted perfectly vertical they will give you a violation. Driver unbuckles his seatbelt to talk to an officer at the scale because he was advised to pull over - before the officer walks to the vehicle the driver loosens his seatbelt - the officer will write him up for not being buckled in. Blowby tube throwing debris off the engine - officers writing up units for oil leaks.

As a company these all accumulate towards a companies safety rating which all shippers can view. If the rating drops so many points the company can no longer haul feight for almost all of those companies - therefore employees out of jobs. There are long term effects of BS DOT - revenue regulations at this time most folks do not see.

It is no longer a matter of what is right or wrong to correct safety - it is a matter of survival so they can maintain their job -generate income.

We have a former DOT officer on call and communicate constantly - this era has no end in sight.

This has very little to do with IFTA and I appoligize - but as well all almost all drive triple axles whereever - it is better to be aware.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
OK so we see a potential problem. Who's gonna do something about it? Where is the leadership to have a push made to write our senators and congressmen? What is the plan to get us a definative exemption for former military vehicles used for historic purposes?

We get the right person at the right time to leverage this, and we can get this added on to some POS bill that our fearless leaders are working on.

Add to this, who is going on FOX, CNN, and MSNBC to bring this to the public as those big mean tax revenuers going after those that are trying to keep history alive.

Some of you don't like the MVPA. Swallow the pride and we need to work together with them to get all of us covered.

Time to stop the female dogging and time to start trying to focus on the ball. Who's the lawyer here to ensure we get a properly phrased letter to make a change to the IFTA?

84crawling

Thanks for all the info! Im deff not going to take this sitting down I thing its a Royal case of BS that some big shot thought up for sh#ts and giggles for $. I see No piont in stopping someone for driving down the road with a legal (non-comercial) truck for a sticker and a log book. I payed for the truck and payed TAX on it, filled it up with my $ and payed TAX for every gallon. I dont see where its anyones busness but mine about what I mix in my truck; because someone somewhere has payed tax on it before. sry but im still a lil hot about it lol..

bguy193

Illinois Drivers.............. I called the Illinois Dept of Revenue on this matter the other day. I simply told them that I wanted to know if I needed to get an IFTA sticker. The gentleman asked me If I was going to be leaving the state of Illinois. I replyed no, he then stated that I didnt need one. He told me it was to cover tax on fuel bought from out of state. In Illinois you only need IFTA License and Registration for Interstate travel and you must first obtain a DOT Number. This goes for any vehicle with GVWR or CGVWR of 26,000#+ or any vehicle with 3 or more axles regardless of weight, but Intrastate carriers are exempt. If you only make one or two trips outsid of the State of Illinois in a year you can get a Single Trip Permit (STP) which is $40 and is good for 96 hours. For further information on IFTA in Illinois go to this link
License & Registration

Happy Trucking:driver:

ryan77

Im interested in the post's here because im looking to get a duece or 5 ton and the police by me are like the **** gestapo!!!

paulfarber

Perhaps a "Not for hire" on the sides of the truck can help also. If you are using a 3 axle truck (a semi) ya need the IFTA tags. I see many large type trucks with "not for hire" on the sides and this might be something to look into. Do fight it also. I would bet many govt sectors are doing all they can to snag up 100.00 here and 100.00 there... because our govt does not know how to say no to spending.
Joel
Where YOU live. Come folks.. not that hard.. every state is different. Next person who makes a blanket 'this is how IFTA works' gets a demerit.

paulfarber

IFTA was invented to correct the disparity of trucks run through State A and tear up the roads. If the truck never stops for fuel, that State is denied funds to repair the roads that the tucks tear up. So, IFTA said record all your miles for EACH STATE, and also where and how much fuel you buy.

So, under ITFA trucker fills up in NJ and gets charged $25 in fuel tax. Then drives 50 miles in NJ, and 200 miles in PA. When he submits the return to NJ (where he is based) it shows that he paid $25 in fuel tax TO NJ, and DROVE 50 miles. IF the fuel tax is $0.10/mile then NJ gets $5.00 and PA gets $20.00.

If you never leave the state, then all the fuel tax is kept in the state you (presumably) bought your fuel. What if you go to NJ to buy fuel and drive in PA? PA still see no fuel tax... .that's why IFTA wants ALL your miles and fuel receipts.

Roads are expensive.. and the fuel tax is one of the RARE taxes that are actually used for the thing they are charged for. Its not like fuel taxes go into the general fund.. they go directly to roads and bridges.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks