• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel sticker violation in NC

Bulldog 4

Make sure you register it as a personal or recreational vehicle. As far as the fuel goes, I would not use transmission fluid as an additive because it is red and it may make the fuel look like it has some dyed fuel in it.

camp9

Make sure you register it as a personal or recreational vehicle. As far as the fuel goes, I would not use transmission fluid as an additive because it is red and it may make the fuel look like it has some dyed fuel in it.
It dosen't take much WMO to turn it black to take the red color away. And if they get that picky and test it they will find out it was ATF. I don't think I seen this addressed in the posts unless I missed it, but it a automatic fine with the feds if you refuse to let them check the fuel. If I remember right it's $5000. When we use to haul over the road and were checked buy the time they gave us the paper to read about what they were doing and that we would be fined if we refused, they had already pulled fuel and checked it. The times we were checked it was IRS employees.

Camp

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For us CA MV owners here is the skinny on IFTA. Check out the FAQ's (particularly #1, 2 and 9), most importantly the verbiage about travel in at least two different jurisdictions. If you stay within in the state and are registered here no sticker required. If you are making a "once in a blue moon" trip outside the state, the fuel trip permit is the way to go. I you live any where near a border and travel back and forth frequently, you might want to get a sticker. It's a little vague on its face, but the law does seem directed more toward the motor carrier for hire.

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) - Board of Equalization

NC guys: sorry for the hijack

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a personal vehicle for personal use, and I ain't paying any extra fuel tax. If they want taxes spilt among the states, then they can tax the folks that buy gas in one state, and travel in others also............:driver:
I'm with you Big EMD. A very good point, indeed. Why aren't regular gasoline burning vehicles treated the same way. If I buy a tank of unleaded gasoline in Needles, CA and drive to and from Flagstaff, AZ, well I don't report that to anybody. The state of AZ gets not a red cent of the federal tax I paid in CA. Gee, the things that make you go HMMMM??? I would fathom a guess at the cost and diligence of enforcing such a ludicrous idea.

Last edited:

zout

^^ that is exactly what the govt is trying to ldo - make you pay taxes on how many miles you drive - besides the tax you already pay at the pump on gasoline. Its not totally out in th eopen yet because of the reaction. It would be for personal use and business alike.

They squeeze us for every penny. I used to run a public water company years ago. We were regulated by the Public Utility Commission. We would have to go before them for every rate increase for a hearing. With all fees and required accountants and experts it wold cost us for our small company over $100K to get an extra $2.25 we needed to get to pay their new tax on us. So because they taxed us $2.25 extra each month per customer, we had to increase the cost to the customer by $4.75 per month to each customer. An we would not get our money back for over 20 years on the 100K cost. What was the $2.25 for ? it was an energy usage tax.

They try to tax any thing and everything to pay for their idiot workers who sit on their dead rears all day and make up new taxes to tax us with.

BY the time we have five new fees added, we were bankrupt. Our company was forced into a sale to Aqua Water Company. Aqua Water Company is run by the former head of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Most PUC and DEP workers invest in that company and their pension invests in it.

They get rate increases easy with no arguments. So our ex customers now pay twice as much and Agua gained 2550 new customers that boosted their income and stock.

paulfarber

I'm with you Big EMD. A very good point, indeed. Why aren't regular gasoline burning vehicles treated the same way. If I buy a tank of unleaded gasoline in Needles, CA and drive to and from Flagstaff, AZ, well I don't report that to anybody. The state of AZ gets not a red cent of the federal tax I paid in CA. Gee, the things that you go HMMMM??? I would fathom a guess at the cost and diligence of enforcing such a ludicrous idea.
Incorrect on all counts. All fuels are taxed by Federal, State and sometimes even local taxes. Diesel or gasoline all pay taxes.

If in a POV the wear and tear on a road from a 2500-7000lb car/truck is nowhere near as severe as a 60,000+ tractor trailer with 5 axles.

Each State gets Federal highway funds from the fuel tax, that covers the cars/trucks, and they use whatever formula they use to give that money out. IFTA on the other hand clearly documents the tax and mileage AND location of the miles so the State can receive ADDITIONAL funds for the additional upkeep caused by heavy trucks.

I don't think that the each State sets the per mile fee... but each state gets the same rate. But if one State has 10,000,000 miles of trucker traffic they would get substantially more IFTA funds than a State with only 1,000,000 miles of truck traffic.

I think the system itself if fair. In PA our roads are torn up constantly by truck traffic (I80, I81 etc) and if PA didn't get additional money from the trucks that did the damage then PA taxpayers would foot the bill for damages that out of State commerce made.

And in PA, you do need a non-IFTA decal if you meet IFTA rules but do not travel out of state.

camp9

I think the issue is are you for hire? and if your not end that should be the end of it. Now if they want to check your fuel for off road they can do that on any vehicial that runs on the road, even my little VW TDI.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't a problem with the tank dipping. I only use the green legal go-go juice. I just don't want to be sweated for a lousy sticker when the my receipt for fuel and the green dye proves I have already paid my taxes in CA. As far as I understand, there is no non-IFTA credential required with travel exclusively inside CA.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my country.......but if you think you own anything - just quit paying taxes on it! Oregon was toying with the idea of not just adding road tax on fuels, but making you report your mileage at the end of each year and taxing you on miles driven. Wait till they decide to use a multiplier for total vehicle weight!

waayfast

Seems as EVERYBODY has jumped on the tear the truckers a new a$$ band wagon. Them big bad trucks tear up our roads (EVERYBODY knows that!) so we gotta make them PAY and pay BIG cuz everybody knows them truckers are rich!! !SHEESH! If the roads were engineered for the expected traffic(I-80 gets a few class8 trucks on there now and again as I recall!??) then trucks hauling the legal weight should not be accused of tearing up the roads!!!!Granted occasionally some bozo will be overweight but in this day and age with a Port of Entry on every corner and the portable boys literally chasing you down with specific orders to write EVERYTHING, TAKE NO PRISONERS, WE NEED THE REVENUE!I would bet that overweights (and certainly any past any engineered margin as far as actual structural damage would be) are few and far between.

Seems as in the last 35 years in this country it has become literally a fad, the cool thing to do --to rip anything and everything to do with making money.How is it that the word "commercial",IE making money has become so villified in ths country!!?? Don't think so?Try getting a building permit ANYWHERE with the words "commercial" written on it versus residential.Try getting a CDL versus a regular drivers license.Try licensing a vehicle (ANY car or truck) "commercially" versus private.Try insuring that vehicle "commercially" OOOOHHHH big bad rich business people-we gotta make them PAY!! Cities, counties,States, and the FED have come to look at our transportation industry as one big 18 wheeled slot machine that's rigged to pay everytime,all the time!

I've been in and around the business for about 35 years and anyone with even one eye half open has it figured out that 95% of so-called safety issues and mile tax issues(reg, IFTA, ton mile taxes,etc) is all about the MONEY! PERIOD!!

This thing of some states (NC obviously) attempting the "stretch" and I do mean stretch the intent of the IFTA program into POVs clearly shows this.Somewhere on here I recall a thread about driving in CA (do I need a CDL, do I need IFTA,etc) one poster stated that in CA one cannot put "Private,not for hire, non-commercial" on your door of your truck and help move the in-laws next weekend. Doesn't cut it. You will license and do everything a full blown overtheroad commercial trucking company has to do.Doesn't matter if you're or TOTALLY out of the realm of the intent of "COMMERCE, hauling goods for hire, particpating in commerce in this example CA wants the money (YOUR money) so they go after your 18 wheel slot machine by including you under(FALSLY!) the heading of "commercial".

In 2009 we drove the Freightliner to TX to get some green iron.Licensed in ID limited truck, non-commercial, licensed for the actually loaded weight(30,000 to 40,000 lbs bracket.I used the plates "V112T" off the m35 gasser, $5.00 transfer fee and a prorated add-on fee to bump the weight up).Went thru every weigh station we came to ID,UT,CO,NM and TX.

No log book used,did not even have one onboard.Damb sure did NOT get an IFTA sticker.The gal in Cortez CO called us in and reviewed the paperwork, was not really too comfy with the deal but let us go.The old boy in Ship Rock NM pertnear had a stroke.Asked several times where's your DOT #,said I have an Idaho intr-A-state DOT but as you can see it is duct taped over since it does not apply to this situation as I am not hauling int-E-rstate for COMMERCE.You could tell by the look that he just couldn't wrap his mind around the idea of someone taking their "big truck" on spring break rather than their pick up or car.Then his sense of beauracratic self preservation kicked in and he insisted I purchase a $30.00 trip permit. He explained that NM considers anything over 10,000lb commercial so I need the permit. I explained I could have made the trip in a 1 ton dually with trailer and drove right past your coop and you would not have even cared but since you see a "big truck" you see some need to get some money out of the deal.

THEN the GF Explains to me that she doesn't have a CDL and the trip will go a lot easier with out me in jail. So we payed the extortion money and completed the trip.

Oddly, no one ever asked about a log book, so I did not need to show the copy of the page from the FMCSA explaining that even if you ARE a commercial motor carrier and are licensed as such that IF you are hauling your own private goods not for hire or for anything to do with commerce you do not need to run a log book.

Sorry! DEEP breath!! RANT OFF!.

JJ

P.S And, no I would not have tried any of the above in CA, I don't drive in CA. Thanks but NO thanks.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
P.S And, no I would not have tried any of the above in CA, I don't drive in CA. Thanks but NO thanks.
Smart man. California=Nickel-and-Dime-ya. I'm so broke I can't even pay attention. Huh, oh, what...what were we talking about...Aaaaa, forget it.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I disagree about the IFTA not being another tax.

IFTA is another tax, as I would have to spend my time filling out the paperwork, and not get paid. Plus, I have to purchase said sticker, again paying the government for the pleasure of driving my PERSONAL, NOT FOR HIRE, DULY REGISTERED vehicle on public streets. It shouldn't matter if I have 2 tires on the ground, 4 tires, 10 tires, even 18 tires. If it is a personal, not for hire vehicle, I should not have to pay to play with the likes of UPS, ABF, ROADWAY and others.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
SOMEBODY on this thread said that he didn't mind paying road taxes because it is the ONLY tax going where it's supposed to go "ROADS" IS this a JOKE, are you kidding me, the road tax pays for EVERYTHING EALSE but the roads and bridges, lets try bike paths, old RR right-a-way walking paths, jogging paths, green belts, bike lanes , pov lanes, high speed rail, public transit, airport expansion,, BIKE parking, this is just the crap that comes to mind as I type this, give me some time, bet I could come up with another 50 ways the ROAD tax is spent on non road SH1t, like moving poles from the right-a-way as part of a right-a-way beautification project. This is why every time a special road project or repair is needed ( or every day repair at times), another BOND or TAX is enacted ( POT HOLE TAX in New York city is just one example), or get a FED hand out (wonder where that money comes from ???, could it be from the people who ALREADY paid a road tax ???)

With today's economy, it will only get worse, the GREENS ( tree hugger) want, want, want BUT THAY don't want to pay. and until the DOT is overhauled (JOKE)

zout

I had to think hard about posting this:
How about the lame brain idiot with the pickup truck we have ALL seen going down the road with the front end just skipping off the pavement - do you not think he is overweight and putting more damage onto the road than that trucker who may be 1700 lbs overweight on a set of axles (and that is distributed axles so it is less per sq inch total infliction on that section of road).

How about the guy or gal (gals cause their husband sent them to pick it up) at home depot loads their truck with fertilizer or landscaping bricks and cannot keep the steering front wheels on the ground leaving and driving down the road. That does cause incubation road damage far worse than that trucker. And that deuce and 1/2 loaded down to the top with logs - enough to build a log home outta ?

There is not much difference in state by state legislation of an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) as is is govt regulated so it can stay uniformly universal through all the states - Canada - Mexico. If you remember as I think One member mentioned it was Interstate Fuel Tax Agreement years ago - until FREE TRADE opened up the flood gates.

To be safe as Paul and I agree on - if it is licensed correctly and registered and you are NOT running commercial you are ok in your state to run without anything - FREE WILLY.
When you put additives in your fuel or whatever - keep a good amount of free cash available if you ever get fined - you will need it.
If you fall within the 3 axles and still not commercial - you may want to investigate a fuel permit to run across state lines - or flip a coin if ya feel lucky and just go for it.

I have a 109 RV motorhome - so I get a get out of jail free card.

As with some posts - some answerring legal questions pertaining to one state and answering from another does not cut it - see where the poster is LOCATED. But IFTA is International and regulates all states as a unified program - govt controlled.

Anyone coming to my pig roast from another state at the end of this month - just tell LEO to come along to eat [thumbzup]

DieselBob

SOMEBODY on this thread said that he didn't mind paying road taxes because it is the ONLY tax going where it's supposed to go "ROADS" IS this a JOKE, are you kidding me, the road tax pays for EVERYTHING EALSE but the roads and bridges,
Amen Brother. I can't speak for other states but when it comes to the Peoples Republic of Maryland they raided the transportation trust fund (what a joke) where all the fuel tax was going, to balance the budget in the general fund. Then had the nerve to say they need to raise the fuel tax because there wasn't enough money to fix the roads.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout, I plan on running the line when I come over for the roasting. I can get a bunch of LEO's in the back of the 814..............:mrgreen:

Bulldog 4

Believe me, IFTA has been one of the few things that the gooberment has actually done that's made life easier for truckers. You'd have to be way past your teenage years to remember the "bingo cards" we used to have before IFTA came along. You used to have to get a sticker for each state you ran in. ALL gooberments, local, state, and federal are famous for raiding money stashes like the highway trust fund or social security. They will also build things like bike paths while the roads go to hades.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks