• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel sticker violation in NC

84crawling

Ok this might be a rant or just :deadhorse: but I was out in my m35 yesterday
getting parts for my m818. I pulled into my dads shop parking lot and was followed by an unmarked revenue car(no light or siren), I parked and set my wheel chock as he was getting out.He came up and asked if I had a Nc fuel sticker, then asked for my licence,tag,and registration.He came out and explained that I had to have a "free" fuel sticker from Nc and keep fuel records. (only if the truck has 3 or more axles or over 26,001 lbs) He was nice and explained this to me as he wrote me a $100 "Penalty for no identification marker or registration". After that he wanted to check my fuel to see if it was off road stuff, I was ok with it (not that I had a choice) I run regular diesel with marvel mystery oil/old gas/oil/methanol/old trans fluid. He checked and it was nasty looking at the bottom and looked brown so he took 2 samples and said normally it would be a 1k$ fine from NC and another 1k$ from federal for it not being green; He said he would send it to the lab and give me a chance. I thought it was some BS, apparently there's no difference in the off road stuff but a red dye. Ill know in 2-3 weeks if I get the grand oppertunity to be screwed by our state and federal government :not worthy:

Im still new to the mv stuff but anyone else ran into this problem?
and it there anything else odd ball off the wall rules i need to know?
thanks for reading :rant:

Ok this might be in the wrong section,if so im sry

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
This is the second post I have senn about fuel stickers in NC. You guys need to be carefull out there. May I ask what a "fuel sticker" is/does?

84crawling

From what iv looked up it shows that I pay Nc taxes on fuel and keep a fuel log? Im going tomorrow to talk to a friend thats a state trooper and get a better idea on the deal.

I feel that im getting screwed in this deal but i guess thats how the state/federal gov makes $

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might check with cgarbee. He has some affiliation with DOT and might have good insight. I'm glad I don't drive through that state with my deuce any longer.

mrsuperstition

Good Luck 84crawling - interested in how this turns out for ya.

Thank goodness I live near an Army NG base and convoys are coming and going all day - so I "Blend In" When I pass highway patrol all I see are smiles and waves =) :driver:

SteamnSteel

What I wonder is how can the improper fuel fine be made to stick for improperly colored fuel since the design is for multi fuel. I would think that since the multi fuel doesn't always have diesel in it that there would be a problem enforcing this money grab. I'm new and still learning in the back ground and may be off base with my thinking.

gunboy1656

Might check with cgarbee. He has some affiliation with DOT and might have good insight. I'm glad I don't drive through that state with my deuce any longer.
If he is talking about the IFTA stickers, then DOT would not have much say in the matter, but Dept. of Revenue.

Depending on what type of plate he is running there are exemptions he could use to fight it.

I talked with a state trooper here this weekend to get his opinion on the matter, and he told me "With you running antique plates and don't look like your doing anything to be making money we would not stop you for no stickers. You may find a trooper that will, but take the ticket and fight it in court"

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I wonder is how can the improper fuel fine be made to stick for improperly colored fuel since the design is for multi fuel. I would think that since the multi fuel doesn't always have diesel in it that there would be a problem enforcing this money grab. I'm new and still learning in the back ground and may be off base with my thinking.
Because what ever you burn in a multi-fuel when driven on a public roadway
you are required to pay road use taxes witch are added into the fuel price.
Dye fuels don't have the tax added and to use alternitive fuels some states have blenders licenses and you have to log how much untaxed fuel you used per quarter . Other states have various methods to collect the tax .

oddshot

From what iv looked up it shows that I pay NC taxes on fuel and keep a fuel log?

Im going tomorrow to talk to a friend thats a state trooper and get a better idea on the deal.
I guess the sticker is a resident sort of thing ...

Do you know if they are pulling non-commercial, out-of-state trucks off the road and checking fuel?

I might be making a trip up north in June ... with fuel costs going up I was planning on using a "mix".

oddshot

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I never have been told, And I just called and asked about 3 axles or more and I was told its no problem as long as the truck is not weighted more than 26K lbs , we all know a Deuce isnt rated for that anyways.

If I remember right the other guy in NC that had a issue had like 30K lbs tags on his M35A2 or something but it was way over what a Deuce could carry.

This thread will probably go where the other ones go about CDL's in your state and tag requirements for your state. Everyone lookout for your own states requirements , write down the name of who you talk to and when and keep that with you just like I just did. I do and I dont have issues and I have been driving antique Mack trucks and MV's in NC for years.

What type of tag do you run and do you display it? , Jay

ADD: Its in every state , every sate requires fuel stickers on Trucks , just depends on your own states requirments are on them.

zout

IFTA also covers how many miles you drive commercially in another state and records kept on that for fuel tax purposes as well. These are almost always quaterly reports. These are kept even if the powered units are not driven and the units are still licensed.

A set of 2 stickers are requuired - one for each side of the powered unit on the exterior side.
Copy of the IFTA paperwork certificate should be in the cab at all times.

no comments on CDL.

In Ga - anything commercially over 25,995 required to have the IFTA license.
Correct it falls under the revenue division.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
THe key here is COMMERCIALLY. As long as the vehicle is being driven for personal use, you do not need a IFTA sticker. As far as the fuel blending goes, in SC, you just need to get a fuel blenders number, and keep up with the amount of gallons you use to BLEND WITH.
As long as you comply with the rules in the state that the vehicle is registered in, you should not have any problems in any other state.:driver:

mistaken1

I am not a lawyer but I believe the biggest issue is 'motor carrier' versus 'private vehicle'.

Some states may not make a distinction.

IFTA

The International Fuel Tax Agreement allows motor carriers to obtain a single fuel license and set of decals. Carriers file quarterly fuel use tax returns with their base state or province. The base state transfers payments to states or provinces the carrier traveled (or obtains refunds) based on the amount of fuel purchased and miles traveled within each jurisdiction.

http://www.modot.org/mcs/documents/2005_IFTA_Manual.pdf

International Fuel Tax Agreement

A. When do I need an International Fuel Tax license and decal?
You are required to have an IFTA license if you operate in two or more jurisdictions and the power unit:

• Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight of 26,001 lbs. or higher;
  • Has three or more axles regardless of weight; or
  • Is used in combination and the said combination is 26,001 lbs or higher.

T. I no longer travel out of Missouri and do not need an IFTA license. How do I close my account.
You must file a final IFTA tax return for the quarter in which you ceased operating outside of the State of Missouri. You can file this return online, then send a letter requesting cancellation, or submit a paper tax return and check the box next to CANCEL Fleet. Your IFTA account will be closed when all taxes are paid in full.

Operating Authority

A. I have purchased a truck or bus. What am I required to do before I start operating?
Any person transporting property or passengers for hire (see exceptions below) within the state of Missouri is required to complete an application to register and receive authority from MoDOT Motor Carrier Services.
B. What are the exceptions mentioned above that do not require registration or authority in Missouri?

• School buses transporting duly enrolled students of a school, college, university or other recognized educational institution, where that transportation is approved by the governing school authorities;
  • Taxicabs with a capacity of not more than five passengers, exclusive of the driver and not operated on a regular route or between fixed terminals;
  • Motor vehicles while being used exclusively to transport:
    • Stocker/feeder livestock from farm to farm, or from market to farm,
    • Farm or dairy products including livestock from farm or dairy,
    • Agricultural limestone or fertilizer to farms,
    • Property from farm to farm,
    • Raw forest products from farm, or
    • Cotton, cotton seed and cottenseed hulls;
  • Motor vehicles operated under contract with the federal government for carrying United States mail, when on a trip provided in the contract;
  • Motor vehicles used solely in the distribution of newspapers from the publisher to subscribers or distributors;
  • Transportation performed pursuant to a contract between the carrier and the State of Missouri or any civil subdivision thereof, where the transportation services are paid directly to the carrier by the State of Missouri or civil subdivision;
  • Freight-carrying motor vehicles duly registered and licensed in conformity with the provision of chapter 301, RSMo, for a gross weight of six thousand pounds or less;
  • Transportation wholly within a municipality or commercial zone. The commercial zone exemption does not apply to the transportation of passengers to, from, or between points in the City of St. Louis, St. Louis County or Jackson County. The commercial zone exemption does not apply to the transportation of commodities in bulk (including liquids) in tank or hopper type vehicles;
  • Motor vehicles whose operations in the State of Missouri are interstate in character and are exclusively within a municipality and its commercial zone;
  • Tow trucks or wreckers designed and exclusively used in the business of towing or otherwise rendering assistance to abandoned, disabled or wrecked vehicles;
A group of employees commuting to work if the vehicle is driven by a member of the group.

E. If I want to transport property or passengers for-hire across the state line, what do I need to do?
You must register in the Unified Carrier Registration program and obtain Interstate Operating authority from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Contact the FMCSA toll-free at 1-800-832-5660 or register online at www.fmcsa.dot.gov

L. I am a private carrier hauling only my own goods in and through the state of Missouri. Do I need to register private carriage authority with your state?
Private carriers hauling intrastate do not need to register for Operating Authority.
Private carriers involved in interstate commerce must register under the Unified Carrier Registration program.

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
A. Who is subject to UCR?
Any motor carrier that operates in interstate commerce or operates in the United States - even if they are based in Canada or Mexico - is subject to UCR. This includes motor carriers for hire, motor private carriers, brokers, freight forwarders and leasing companies.

From Missouri
Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)
any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle -
  1. Has a gross vehicle / gross combination weight rating , or gross vehicle / gross combination weight of 4,536 kg (10,001 lbs) or more, whichever is greater; or
  2. Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers, including the driver, for compensation; or
  3. Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
  4. Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

Last edited:

91W350

A. When do I need an International Fuel Tax license and decal?
You are required to have an IFTA license if you operate in two or more jurisdictions and the power unit:
Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight of 26,001 lbs. or higher;
Has three or more axles regardless of weight; or
Is used in combination and the said combination is 26,001 lbs or higher

That bites, the three axle part would catch my truck. As I read it, that is a national code? I know the lower half would catch Missouri. Maybe I need to look at bobbing mine and ditching that problematic third axle. Hate to though, it is pretty nice. Glen

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to the state requirements for a NC fuel sticker (different than IFTA)...also check your registration card for the fine print that says you must be licensed for the weight of the vehicle and towed load under NC general statutes. A lot of 3/4 ton pickup owners in my area have learned about this the hard way as a standard NC plate is only good for 4000lbs. Some additional info on the fuel sticker program is available here (even though you are not a commercial carrier) See page 4:
http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/div/hp/motorcarrier/NCTruckingBrochure.pdf

Hope this helps.
Chad

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BUT IT IS ONLY FOR MOTOR CARRIERS!!!!!!! Those folks who make MONEY carrying stuff from point A to point B. I don't make money with my M814, I SPEND IT.
I will be taking my 814 thru NC on the way to Haspin, and I dare a NC revenue Agent to issue me a ticket.:driver:

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local office pointed me here when I inquired:
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Registration & Plate Renewal

and specifically pointed me to this:
GENERAL STATUTE 105-449.47: THE WEIGHT DECLARED ON THIS REGISTRATION MUST BE SUFFICIENT TO COVER THE WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE PLUS ANY AMOUNT HAULED OR PULLED. IF THE VEHICLE IS OVERWEIGHT, YOU ARE SUBJECT TO A CITATION, A VEHICLE WITH A COMBINED WEIGHT EXCEEDING 26,000 POUNDS OR HAVING 3 AXLES REGARDLESS OF WEIGHT MUST DISPLAY A FUEL DECAL (NOT INCLUDING RECREATIONAL VEHICLES).

If NC is like any other state a call or visit to any other office may well get a different answer....not sure about driving through NC or any other license requirements.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is not a Personel MV considered a recreational vehicle? If you are not making money with the vehicle, then what are you doing with it? Personal transportation? Are you having fun driving your MV? Is that not recreational? I know that I have a smile a mile wide after driving my M814, just ask my wife! I still think that IFTA stickers, or any fuel sticker, is just for folks that make money with their vehicles.:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks