• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Question

cjkeeliii

I got a fuel tank from a junked CUCV m1008 today with intentions of adding it to the passenger side of my CUCV. Is it possible to turn the sending unit toward the inside of the truck and it still work properly? If I leave it as is, it looks like routing the fuel lines will be difficult. How do I need to plumb this thing? Where is the best place to buy OEM parts to make this project work? Thanks.

WARWAG

You should beable to just unbolt and turn the sending unit. The tank is same from side to side. I would flush it out though after removing the sending unit. This will get whatever is crud has accumulated over the years in the bottom of the tank. ALL of the parts needed are available from LMC truck parts.

Pics man PICS!

combat jump

I'll also chime in.... I am wondering what's the best way to get more fuel on board, and adding another tank seems like a good way to keep the bed free of a transfer tank.

Let us know how you plumb it, and of course, share photos!

Thanks in advance!

cjkeeliii

I know this post is useless without pictures, so I'll try to add them tonight.

First off, the sending unit will not turn the 180* I'd like it to because of two ears/tabs that are part of the sending unit. There are corresponding notches in the mounting flange which is spot-welded to the tank, therefore, I can't move the flange. Because the ears/tabs on the sending unit and flange notches are not diametrically opposed, the sending unit will only install one way. Of course, I could cut notches in the flange, but that would eliminate one of the three pressure tabs used to hold a tight seal between the sending unit and tank.

I think there is enough room to leave the sending unit oriented in its original position and route the fuel lines without interference from the truck's cab or bed. The tank's rear support bracket will work without any modifications. The front support bracket will work but the strap must be repositioned into the bracket's lower access hole, and the factory-welded captured nuts cannot be used due to reversed mounting holes on the passenger side frame. This is easily overcome by using four standard nuts as the reverse holes are already drilled into the bracket. Isn't mass production wonderful and wouldn't pictures have explained all of this more easily?

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

Tank is the same L/R
The sending units are different There's a Left and a Right.
Get a selector valve and switch from LMC or Napa. Mounts on cross member next to the right frame rail. You will also need a OEM bracket, or fab one.
Plumb it in and wire it.
Switch mounts center of dash to the Left of the ash tray.
The gauge wires also connect to this valve and will change the gauge from left to right.
This would be the proper way to install one.
Tank brackets are L/R specific but can be made to work.
They are also hard to find other than a salvage yard.
No one repro's them and GM don't have any last time I checked.
Tom

cjkeeliii

Can anyone tell me why one of the ports on the sending unit is plugged and what it's for? I know one is for the return fuel and the other for delivery, bu the third port makes no sense. Thanks.

rnd-motorsports

The third port on the sending unit is for a carbon canister hose. When they use the sender in a high emissions truck say like a California truck with gas engine they run a hose from the third port to the carbon canister and if not they just plug it!

bshupe

Has any further progress on this conversion been made and are there any more photos etc?

Also, while I realize that it isnt MV enough for the purest wouldnt one of those aftermarket fuel door set-ups work for this and work better than letting the neck hang in the wheel well?

Thanks for any additional information.

Also, some comments here recommended cleaning the new add-on tank. What would you recommend cleaning it with?

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a buddy of mine who did this back in 1976 with one of the original Civvy trucks just like this. He put the filler spout up under the wheel well. If you didn't look closely, you could NOT see it.

I'm seriously considering this for my M1028A2. Thx for the pix

This looks like a great idea. I was looking into extra fuel tanks, would like at least 20 gallons but this is money. Heres a question though maybe I missed this somewhere. Will an m1009 accept an additional take, is there enough space already? If yes im guessing the m1008 had models that may have come with dual tanks? if a stock m1009 will not accept an additional salvaged stock tank, any other ideas on how to get unseen extra fuel storage in these bad boys?

just have a body shop cut out a hole and have a another fuel door put in. Thats would be pretty simple for a shop. I would imagine there must also be some way to have the auxiliary tank fill the main tank. either by switch like planes and rv's or a manual throw lever. Maybe even an automatic drain as the main tank starts to get used.

UNIMOG-GUY

This would a great idea for those of us who want to run alternative fuels. Have one tank for diesel to start and stop on and the other tank for veg oil, ATF , motor oil or etc.

Last edited:

mudman

You can get a tank from a Suburban. If it is a big block it will have a 42 gal tank, and will mount up in where the spare tire is and move the tire to the right rear bed area. thats what I'm going to do.

You can get a tank from a Suburban. If it is a big block it will have a 42 gal tank, and will mount up in where the spare tire is and move the tire to the right rear bed area. thats what I'm going to do.

Mudman,

good heads up on the suburban tank size. But please clarify for me, when you refer mounting where the spare tire is do you mean where the spare is on a civilian model? Im assuming thats what you mean, underneath the body in the center rear of a suburban? Because as im aware all military model had the spare inside already on on a bumper mount? Please break this down for me, im new here. lol

Thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks