• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Question

mudman

I thought you were working on a m1008 the spare tire is mounted under the bed where the surburban has it's tank mounted, and on a m1009 it is on the inside. sorry for the confussion!

unaffiliated

Correct me if I am wrong , but it is my understanding that the third port on the sending unit on a Military version is for a fuel drain, at least according to the TM's. A more accurate description would be fuel siphon in my opinion, because you can't drain the tank from the top.

With a second factory tank and a suburban tank in the back, you could drive forever without refueling. 82 gallons total. That's almost a 1200 mile range in my 1008. Dang man, I have to go pee too often for that.

richingalveston

suburban fuel tank

are you saying I can replace the tank in my m1009 with a 42 gallon tank in the same location? or does that only work on 08's?

thanks for the info
rich
85 - M1009

Goose2448

I would think if you want a "factory look" you could get a sending unit from a pass side tank off a civiy truck, the switching unit, and switch. Then find a dual tank bed, paint it, and swap it. 40 Gallons is more than enough. The Dual tanks are a pain to fill, with having to move the truck. You could do the truck stop stations, but Truckers dont like that, and plus they fill way too fast for these tanks.

DrJekl

This is what I am doing. My second tank is for veggie oil. I found a nice bed at the local pull a-part for $150.

I would think if you want a "factory look" you could get a sending unit from a pass side tank off a civiy truck, the switching unit, and switch. Then find a dual tank bed, paint it, and swap it. 40 Gallons is more than enough. The Dual tanks are a pain to fill, with having to move the truck. You could do the truck stop stations, but Truckers dont like that, and plus they fill way too fast for these tanks.

suburban/blazer tanks

Won't work. The M1008 spare is under the bed - but even when removed there is not enough space to mount a blazer 31 gallon tank let alone a suburban 42 gallon one. I've tried. The blazer 25 might fit if it is beat on a bit at the back to make it fit.

If you remove the rear bumper diagonals / pintle etc you can probably make it work at the expense of towing capability and collision protection. Or have a custom tank made. I think NWMP in Oregon has a 50+ size for a suburban but they say it won't fit due to cross brace locations (that could be fixed with time/effort and the bed removed)

If there was enough interest they could probably design/build such a tank for our M1008 trucks but would cost $1000 for a one off. Enough people request it - still likely $500 or so....