• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fugly M1009 gets a new home

Gunfreak25

I found this locally for $1300. This morning we met, nice man. I spent an hour with him and the SS app on my phone getting the battery wires cleaned up and repaired which were a corroded frayed mess. Once that was squared away it fired right up and purred.

It's been painted rustoleum hunter green. I'll fix that with some tan BEHR.
The rear window is stuck down.
The drivers side fender and door are smashed in, but the door works still works.
The passenger window is broken.
The dash is cracked
The volt gauge doesn't work
The paint is awful

But, it drives great and is in good mechanical shape. So I talked him down to $1300 and after a deposit tonight I should have her in a few weeks. It has a salvage title from the accident, so it has to pass inspection.

I forsee many orders to LMC truck to get her fixed up properly. I've wanted a CUCVfor awhile now! :-D
CAM00030.jpg

Last edited:

nyoffroad

The drivers side fender and door are smashed in, but the door works still works.
I forsee many orders to LMC truck to get her fixed up properly. I've wanted a CUCVfor awhile now! :-D
Check around and see if you have a local branch ofLKQ/ Keystone Automotive. The crash parts they have are a higher quality and you pick them up so no shipping charges and no dents. If you don't have one locally stop into a local body shop or auto paint supply and ask them where to get AFTERMARKET PARTS.
BTW great deal!:mrgreen:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like an early Christmas present for yourself. Congrats

Gunfreak25

Thanks! Am I correct in assuming any 80's Chevy truck body parts will fit such as glass, doors and hoods, etc? I know of a couple parts CUCV trucks in town otherwise there are lots of 80's Chevy's here to pick from.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is hilarious, I have your fender.........a purchase by a past business partner that was supposed to by 1978 fender instead he bought a 1987 fender. Think he had diklessskier. I couldn't throw it out so maybe I can bring it in Spring or get it on a truck with someone heading to an MV bash near your place on March 1st.

If you just keep buying stuff that I have parts for I'll have the farm cleaned up in no time.

Congrats on the buy. You are now a hoarder.

Gunfreak25

So the first question I have for you CUCV electrical guy's. When the headlights are turned on via the service light switch, the headlights come on fine, but so does the horn. The steering wheel horn button doesn't work at all, however.

Inspection is on the 24th so I have some time to trouble shoot.

Changed oil, filter today. Another short drive, man is it fun. :D

EDIT: well well well could it be a horn diode causing the issue? The forum search once again answers all.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

You know Dave-O I can't wait to see ya again, do you golf at all? Bring yer clubs I get free golf at the country club and can bring a guest free if you have a collared shirt. So bring one, mine won't fit ya, worst case we have to hit up JC penny. I don't golf much myself but hitting things with clubs while driving around in carts in full inebriation mode is quite a blast.

I may shop for some body parts before Spring though, but I still need to see ya so visit anyway.

Thank you Warthog, is it a simple cut out the diode and solder/shrink tube the wires together? Will get on it Tuesday morning, assume the dash cluster is the easiest access point.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just snip the diode out. No need to replace. The relay is next to the fuse box.

Gunfreak25

Here is some more pics, I am off to cut out the diode this morning and get a new air filter in there. Priority replacement is the front wheel spindle which was dented in the accident that destroyed the fender and door. It tore the locking hub off apparently, if anyone has a complete spindle and locking hub please let me know, it would save me some time. :D

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wire in the last picture is a ground that attaches to the radiator support.

Overall the truck looks good. Some TLC and you should have a winner.

Gunfreak25

I scored 2 6TL's from Interstate today for $130 out the door. Schwin!!! :beer: Diode snipped out, horn fixed!

Both Gen lights illuminate on start up then quickly extinguish, very happy! Glow plugs are cycling great, it has 8 new ones already installed. Runs like a raped ape, no leaks anywhere even after 2 years sitting idle.

Priorities are the left locking hub/spindle, dog head relay mod and then full electrical cleaning and TLC at every connection. Mechanics first cosmetics second!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a great price on the 6TLs. Good score. Sounds like you did get a winner.

Oreilly's has a hub for ~$65. I have a couple of extras but they are on trucks at the moment.

I may also has a spare hub lock. I will have to check.