• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Full Fenders For The 5 Ton

reb87

14.00x20 tires are rated over 9500 lbs single,16.00x20 rated over 12000 lbs single. The 14s are close to max axle weight and the 16s are well over.

jd-ford-hd

14.00x20 tires are rated over 9500 lbs single,16.00x20 rated over 12000 lbs single. The 14s are close to max axle weight and the 16s are well over.
Thank you Reb87! I felt like tire capacity was what the beastmaster was getting at, but would like to hear his technical data backing up his statement!! Lord this forum is eat up with the IKMTYD's!! ;-)

Last edited:

rivired

ya i was just thinking super singles on civi commercial vehicles are what everybodys switching to and theres countless advantages and the DOT and ATA recognize this and encourage the transition..nobodys gonna hasle anybody bout running SS's

jd-ford-hd

That looks NICE! :beer:

But you need to flip those hubs...if it's possible on the 5 ton.

Wheel bearings wont last long like that.
This reply really needed a more in depth reply than I gave it the first time around. The wheel bearings on any vehicle are loaded in relation to the center line of the tire(single) or tires(dual). When flipping the hubs you do not move the position of the tire(or very little) and you do not move the position of the bearings as related to the truck. Stand behind the truck with singles and take a good look. Go to work and flip the hubs, then stand behind the truck and look again. The tires are still very, very close to the same track width as before, and the wheel bearings are still in the exact same place as before. All that has been done is the wheel is reversed and the hub with lug flange is reversed. The bearings are still seeing the same load. The bearings were engineered to withstand full axle load with dual wheels with one flat tire, which would drastically change load center line. The engineers knew this was a likely situation so bearings were spec'd accordingly. Flipping the hubs is a purely cosmetic procedure and I do agree it looks more balanced and symmetrical when they are flipped.

saddamsnightmare

MArch 7th, 2009.

I Concur with REB87 above.... Why, when I take the 9:00X20 NDTs off my 1971 Kaiser Jeep (note the when, not "IF"), and single the tires out on the rear end, the 1100R20 Goodyear G177's M+S's singly have a higher load rating "H" then the pair of NDT's had togather. And being a radial tire, it will make the deuce's job of hauling the truck on the tires so much easier (along with the steering). This is why Uncle singled out the ESP and M35A3's, tire technology had avdanced considerable in the 40+ years since the NDT's were created.
Besides, I' rather spend $700.00 retiring then $1,100 with the NDT's, which aren't that hot a on or off road tire anyway.;-)

Nice job on the fenders..... If you gotta have fenders, these be the ones to get!!!:idea:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

hot rod deuce

The fenders look great. They really match the plate below the spare tire well.

I think beastmaster may have been thinking PSI with the singles. Many states have a PSI limit. In Mn it is 500 per inch of width and 600 on a steer axle. Max 34,000 on a tandem with out a permit.

Last edited:

jd-ford-hd

The m818 has deckplate infront of the 5th wheel, original from the factory. Look at the image 8 of 13(last pic in the first post.
REB87, you are my new best friend!! Sticking up for me at every turn!!! LOL!! You are right , though, the tread plate was chosen because of the tread plate that was already there.

Alredneck

Banned
JD good lookn fenders n truck, roll the big tires if you got them no one will mess with you about it and it wont hurt nothing. I been runnin 395s on my deuce the same way for over 4000 miles pulling loads heavier then what the data plate wants you to. I run 70 on the flats and havent had any issues except I blew one hub gasket ( which come to find out the bolts werent torqued at all ) other than that I want to do the same to my M54. Again good lookn rig, We might have to get together a run our trucks im over here in Shelby county. Give me a holler cause there is some good folks on this sight.

jd-ford-hd

JD good lookn fenders n truck, roll the big tires if you got them no one will mess with you about it and it wont hurt nothing. I been runnin 395s on my deuce the same way for over 4000 miles pulling loads heavier then what the data plate wants you to. I run 70 on the flats and havent had any issues except I blew one hub gasket ( which come to find out the bolts werent torqued at all ) other than that I want to do the same to my M54. Again good lookn rig, We might have to get together a run our trucks im over here in Shelby county. Give me a holler cause there is some good folks on this sight.
Thanks Alredneck and everyone else for the compliments.!.! You are right, there are tons of good folks here willing help and support each other. These photos show one of the trailers I pull that the full fenders really demonstrate their functionality. This truck will be used to pull from the fifth wheel as well.

Attachments

m.walker

Anybody that's driven a tractor off paved roads knows exactly why you made those fenders ! I think they look great and make the truck much more useable for what you are doing . I like it !

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
This reply really needed a more in depth reply than I gave it the first time around. The wheel bearings on any vehicle are loaded in relation to the center line of the tire(single) or tires(dual). When flipping the hubs you do not move the position of the tire(or very little) and you do not move the position of the bearings as related to the truck. Stand behind the truck with singles and take a good look. Go to work and flip the hubs, then stand behind the truck and look again. The tires are still very, very close to the same track width as before, and the wheel bearings are still in the exact same place as before. All that has been done is the wheel is reversed and the hub with lug flange is reversed. The bearings are still seeing the same load. The bearings were engineered to withstand full axle load with dual wheels with one flat tire, which would drastically change load center line. The engineers knew this was a likely situation so bearings were spec'd accordingly. Flipping the hubs is a purely cosmetic procedure and I do agree it looks more balanced and symmetrical when they are flipped.
How long do you usually run with a flat inner dual? I'm sure the Military flipped the hubs on the Deuce, and the wheel on the 800's when they singled them out just to give the Soldier A and B something to do until knock off.

Sorry, But I don't agree with your observation regarding wheel bearing loading.

Your Truck looks good, I wish you the best of luck with it.

jd-ford-hd

How long do you usually run with a flat inner dual? I'm sure the Military flipped the hubs on the Deuce, and the wheel on the 800's when they singled them out just to give the Soldier A and B something to do until knock off.

Sorry, But I don't agree with your observation regarding wheel bearing loading.

Your Truck looks good, I wish you the best of luck with it.
Thanks for the compliment on my truck. Too bad this debate is taking place within a thread titled full fenders! LOL! Wish you had started a new one titled "Does flipping the hubs affect wheel bearing life". Then we could get a LOT more opinions and more importantly facts about the subject. My statements are much more than an observation. It is a fact that wheel bearing load is directly affected by the position of the tire(s) center line in relation to the bearing pair, not the lug flange. Every one of us who have chosen to go single have automatically increased bearing load by moving load center line outboard. Over the road trucking fleets have been changing from dual wheels to singles on the drive axles by the hundreds over the past few years with no way of "flipping the hub" on these highway trucks. They haul max loads at max speeds. Google the subject and you will find a Timken bearing chief engineer's quote stating that going single moves the load center line out, hence placing more load on bearings.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks