• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

full shut off solenoid on NHC250?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You buy the Cummins one, you pay $55, I paid about $20 for mine, any big truck parts house has them, the one I brought is a BEPCO p/n 6997324, 24v fuel solenoid

Hooty481

my m818 wouldn't shut off because the little metal disk with the o-ring built in had a groove in it from where it had set and not been run. i just put in a new one and it shut off fine right now.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Put a SPRING on the EMG. engine kill, that way you don't have to go to the motor to RESET it each time and you can do the shut down like a multi. even with a new solenoid put the spring on in case it takes a dump later, just screw the screw in and go, also this way you can run WITHOUT batteries if need be to get you home or out of a SHTF mess

This was NOT my idea, you can thank Will Wagner

Last edited:

5tondeuce

Put a SPRING on the EMG. engine kill, that way you don't have to go to the motor to RESET it each time and you can do the shut down like a multi. even with a new solenoid put the spring on in case it takes a dump later, just screw the screw in and go, also this way you can run WITHOUT batteries if need be to get you home or out of a SHTF mess

This was NOT my idea, you can thank Will Wagner
Would you believe the guy that owned the 813 before me removed the EMG shut off totally, not sure why he would do this

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Would you believe the guy that owned the 813 before me removed the EMG shut off totally, not sure why he would do this
leaked, to lazy to fix it, you NEED to put it back, any good sealing on/off valve will work. You have NO WAY to shut the engine down if the shut off solenoid STICKS open other then a stall and that is bad for everything and yes I have had them stick open before.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They also won't shut off if the control box has a relay that is hanging up. Ferro's 818 has one that doesn't shut the engine of right away- sometimes it takes 20-30 seconds to shut down. The one on my 814 kills the engine right away, just as god and cummins designed it.

5tondeuce

leaked, to lazy to fix it, you NEED to put it back, any good sealing on/off valve will work. You have NO WAY to shut the engine down if the shut off solenoid STICKS open other then a stall and that is bad for everything and yes I have had them stick open before.
Yup I agree with you Ron, the cable is still there just the valve missing. I my see if I can get a factory one. I just like original stuff.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the black box on the fire wall?
Yes. They have two types- the old one that came on the 809's, and the new ones which came on the 900 series. THe old one are very easy to rebuild(think like the doghead mod). I have been told that the new ones have potted parts, and are harder to repair. I have seen the inside of old one- it's just heavy duty relays and some wiring.

Ferro has the new style on his 818, I have the old style on my 814. Mine is as installed by AMG, as my 814 has not gone thru a depot rebuild. And yes, Ferro and I are stocking up on 5 ton parts.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You can use a 900 5t box on a 809 BUT NOT a 809 box on a 900 5t

I really do not see why someone can not get rid of the 809 box all together, just have a main on/off solenoid, then wire there to each system, I have run a lot of cranes with the 855s ALL are wired this way, VERY KISS

Last edited:

5tondeuce

Yes. They have two types- the old one that came on the 809's, and the new ones which came on the 900 series. THe old one are very easy to rebuild(think like the doghead mod. I have been told that the new ones have potted parts, and are harder to repair. I have seen the inside of old one- it's just heavy duty relays and some wiring.
Cool, I need to dig into this stuff and learn more about it, I've been too busy collecting trucks and have not had a lot of time to work on them. This is a great place to learn though. Thanks

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go thru your 5 tons, and compare the boxes. I'll bet you have at least one of each kind

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That I don't know-I have never compared the two side by side. I think mine is all metal, but I am drawing a blank right now. I will go out and look tomorrow.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So if the relay in the box is stuck open I guess you will not have 24v going to the shut off solenoid?
Yes, also if for some reason the oil pressure sender is messed up the the box thinks there is oil pressure (engine running) and then no starter, this is why you can't restart while rolling unless you step on the clutch