• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuller 9 spds and Mack engines?

Trango

I know the feeling of the pointlessness of a 5 speed in an OTR truck. The frustration of pulling hills with effectively four forward gears was a a primary driver to scrap the first 3208 build I did and embark on a new build with a multi-range transmission, which is a much easier transmission to drive.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
73M819 do you know the model numbers on those spicer transmissions? I would like to get more info on these trannies! Thanks
Got the numbers and info somewhere, first worked on this when i had my gasser m52 in Cal. I have of folders of folders of stuff saved, as new MV thoughts came up, more folders were made

Vintage iron

73M819, I don't see how a 7, 9, or a 10 speed Spicer can be the same lenght as a five speed? The way they get the extra gears is to add another section on the tail of a five speed or make the tranny wider. I think I will have to move my transfer case back at least 10". I have a winch so I need to make sure the winch PTO will still work. Looks like spicer 7 speeds are easy to come by. But I am steering towards a Eaton road ranger right not. I want a strong tranny that will shift nice too!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The OLD spicers that i was looking into was 8 or 10 speeds, had a single counter shaft, basicly a 4 or 5 speed with a two speed on the back of the main box, this was a fairly short trans., would have called for a shorter driveshaft between the trans and the xcase. these were the only trans that I could find that would fit with out moving the xcase and still clear the front driveshaft and also allow for a side pto for the front winch. Other trans can be found but eather don't clear the front drive shaft or don't have a side pto, or both,

Vintage iron

I think I am going with a eaton 9 speed. I think a 13 speed is a little to much gearsit is a little wide but I need to push the tranfer case back so I will have more room to clear the transmission. If I have to I will use a two piece driveshaft and a carrier bearing. Is there any other reasons that this trasmission would not work? They have PTO's hatches on both sides, so I can run my winch. I know that I will need to lenght some things and shorten others but, I think it will be worth it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks