• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuller 9 spds and Mack engines?

Trango

I know the feeling of the pointlessness of a 5 speed in an OTR truck. The frustration of pulling hills with effectively four forward gears was a a primary driver to scrap the first 3208 build I did and embark on a new build with a multi-range transmission, which is a much easier transmission to drive.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
73M819 do you know the model numbers on those spicer transmissions? I would like to get more info on these trannies! Thanks
Got the numbers and info somewhere, first worked on this when i had my gasser m52 in Cal. I have of folders of folders of stuff saved, as new MV thoughts came up, more folders were made

Vintage iron

73M819, I don't see how a 7, 9, or a 10 speed Spicer can be the same lenght as a five speed? The way they get the extra gears is to add another section on the tail of a five speed or make the tranny wider. I think I will have to move my transfer case back at least 10". I have a winch so I need to make sure the winch PTO will still work. Looks like spicer 7 speeds are easy to come by. But I am steering towards a Eaton road ranger right not. I want a strong tranny that will shift nice too!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The OLD spicers that i was looking into was 8 or 10 speeds, had a single counter shaft, basicly a 4 or 5 speed with a two speed on the back of the main box, this was a fairly short trans., would have called for a shorter driveshaft between the trans and the xcase. these were the only trans that I could find that would fit with out moving the xcase and still clear the front driveshaft and also allow for a side pto for the front winch. Other trans can be found but eather don't clear the front drive shaft or don't have a side pto, or both,

Vintage iron

I think I am going with a eaton 9 speed. I think a 13 speed is a little to much gearsit is a little wide but I need to push the tranfer case back so I will have more room to clear the transmission. If I have to I will use a two piece driveshaft and a carrier bearing. Is there any other reasons that this trasmission would not work? They have PTO's hatches on both sides, so I can run my winch. I know that I will need to lenght some things and shorten others but, I think it will be worth it!