• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuseable Links Question - what is this on the wiring diagram?

Vet89

Hello again and thank you in advance?

I believe I have a fuseable link issue (reference http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/93453-if-not-when-occured-starter-relay.html)

Thanks to Dependable, I researched fusable links through searches here and beyond.

I pulled my starter (fun with no jackstands or lift!) and saw the ignition wire and wire to the battery. I used a multimeter and tested the line that I believe should be activated when I turn the ignition (the smaller of the two wires connected to the starter). No power. A strong indicator that this is the problem. I tried to trace the wire but it goes up into the plastic casing with other wires. I'd like to find the endpoint without undoing all the plastic casing if possible and test the wires end point for power.

Looking at the wiring diagram - I see the ignition wire connected to the solenoid. What I am not sure about is looking at the connection point on the other side of the wiring diagram and how it relates to the actual engine components.

In the photo, the purple wire leaves the terminal labeled 3 PPL something to a little box shaped thing (yep, I am on the low end of being a shade tree mechanic, but I enjoy learning new things!). Rather than start yanking on it and inviting Mr. Murphy to come along and help me more, I thought I would ask. Photo is from Warthog's efforts.

Any pointers for where this actually is?

Attachments

86m1028

Hello again and thank you in advance?

I believe I have a fuseable link issue (reference http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/93453-if-not-when-occured-starter-relay.html)

Thanks to Dependable, I researched fusable links through searches here and beyond.

I pulled my starter (fun with no jackstands or lift!) and saw the ignition wire and wire to the battery. I used a multimeter and tested the line that I believe should be activated when I turn the ignition (the smaller of the two wires connected to the starter). No power. A strong indicator that this is the problem. I tried to trace the wire but it goes up into the plastic casing with other wires. I'd like to find the endpoint without undoing all the plastic casing if possible and test the wires end point for power.

Looking at the wiring diagram - I see the ignition wire connected to the solenoid. What I am not sure about is looking at the connection point on the other side of the wiring diagram and how it relates to the actual engine components.

In the photo, the purple wire leaves the terminal labeled 3 PPL something to a little box shaped thing (yep, I am on the low end of being a shade tree mechanic, but I enjoy learning new things!). Rather than start yanking on it and inviting Mr. Murphy to come along and help me more, I thought I would ask. Photo is from Warthog's efforts.

Any pointers for where this actually is?
That is your junction box at the fire wall on drivers side.

Vet89

thank you and more!

Thank you, 86m1028.

Ok, that would make sense - sooo.. I had previously tested the Doghead relay (thanks to Doghead for this and credit to Realm for the photo - I want to make it my avatar lol)... the red wire had juice and the purple wire with the white stripe had juice when I turned the ignition...

That means I need to trace where the purple/white wire from the Doghead relay meets up with the one that goes down to the starter solenoid, correct?

Looks like I am pulling apart my dash today.

Attachments

Vet89

***update*** I put the starter back in and made a bridge (correct term?) from the starter wire off the solenoid, hooked everything back up and touched that wire to the battery (first one), It started! It actually started better than it ever has.

I think the next step is to pull that plug that goes into the firewall with a bizillion wires and see if it is melted or something - or start diving under the dash board - perhaps it is an ignition switch... no fuses are popped though.

Till the next chapter =)

Vet89

Next chapter... turned truck off - checked fluids, tranny low, added tranny fluid, repeated process. This time some sparks came from the solenoid (can a solenoid work part time?)

The other possibility is one of the wires is touching something on the frame, I will get mirror and look.

Life of a shade tree mechanic - ill have to beat the dead horse till it comes to life :deadhorse:

sierrajcharlie

Was wondering how you came out. I've had an intermittent no start problem. Doghead relay under dash would click but no starter. Would happen once then be fine next hit. About a month ago it did it in a parking lot and I put it in neutral, pushed it, then popped it into park. Hit the key and fired up, so I thought I was onto something. Yesterday at home, again nothing, no matter what I tried. Had to wait til someone got home and started tracing out the circuit. Long story short, there is a fuseable link at the starter solenoid. After messing most of the day, (that happens when you loose the nut from the solenoid, aua) we have ignition. If you're interested, the nut on the solenoid is a M5 80 pitch.:roll: Apparently, the link had been going bad for 1 1/2 years and finally died. Another problem figured out!:beer: