• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FWD Wheel mount Military crane

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's been sitting for 10 years there is alot of work ahead to get the crane unit operating correctly . The clutch bands on the drums don't take sitting well , they tend to rust to the drums . And even after they are freed up they are eradic until the rust wears off . These require daily oiling and adjusting when operating . It's a long road to get one fine tuned after sitting this long , but is doable .

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How the heck do you stow the boom for road travel? If it is as rust free as he says, maybe clutch bands aren't that bad.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How the heck do you stow the boom for road travel? If it is as rust free as he says, maybe clutch bands aren't that bad.
You either drive it as it is or take the end section of boom off and trailer it . Three people , the operator and 2 ground persons swing it over the trailer with proper cribing and unbolt or unpin depending on style of boom . Reverse process at next job site .

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've stowed and attached jib booms before, they attached on the side of the crane boom. That would be a job, taking that sucker off.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Can be a one man job, ALL the boom inserts are removed, so only the boom foot/tip are installed when set up for travel, travleing with a long boom like that is real hard on the boom.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron , can't tell by pics is that pin together sections or bolt together ? I worked mostly on Bay City's and Northwest and the company I worked for had both along with others.

waayfast

Well here is an update on the ol' girl---- not good.

I noticed Denny (the owner) putzing around the crane yesterday--then later I saw it was gone from the highway and moved over to his shop (under it's own power).

Then I bumped into him at the parts place in town-----

He said tommorrow they start cutting it up--- she's headed for China in 4ft chunks.:-(

Jim

tcody

Well here is an update on the ol' girl---- not good.

I noticed Denny (the owner) putzing around the crane yesterday--then later I saw it was gone from the highway and moved over to his shop (under it's own power).

Then I bumped into him at the parts place in town-----

He said tommorrow they start cutting it up--- she's headed for China in 4ft chunks.:-(

Jim
Sad.... I get it. I had a pole setting truck. Couldn't even get scrap price for parts an the classifieds. Needed the money so the went to the scrapper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks