• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G506 Class 525 (G7133) restore

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pic tonight. I spent over an hour chipping all the layers of paint from the passengers step. Completely destroyed my rotory paint stripper. I hope they still make them because there’s nothing better when cutting through layers of crud. Well, maybe, sand blasting would be easier but not possible as I can’t move the truck for now.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh the 40's

What was the final method of removing the temperature gauge?

Not sure if it's your thread or some kind of old age trauma but the brother has a huge fleet of 40's civi cars rotting in the bush and he started pulling frames out this week.

Not sure how far it will go but I might get to wrestle with some 40's technology.

P3291831.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the final method of removing the temperature gauge?

Not sure if it's your thread or some kind of old age trauma but the brother has a huge fleet of 40's civi cars rotting in the bush and he started pulling frames out this week.

Not sure how far it will go but I might get to wrestle with some 40's technology.

View attachment 760139
. To get the temp gauge removed, remove the sending unit from the engine. It will still be connected to the wire going to the gauge. At the fire wall there is a metal piece, not sure what it’s called but it protects various cable going thru the firewall. There’s a notch cut into the piece as well as a corresponding notch in the firewall. Remove the piece by removing various clamps on the wires/cables and remove the two clutch bit screws. It takes two to people do this. Then, go into the instrument panel and remove the gauge mount screws on the back of the temp gauge. Once it moves freely, gently pull the gauge out and slowly remove the cable that’s still attached to the sending unit. Using the two notches, pull the wire through the firewall and remove the gauge and wire all at the same time. There may be additional wires and cables behind the dashboard that may need to be removed. Take it slow and careful and it’ll come out just fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
40's temp guage removal

Some of it looks different then the 1948 gauges but there are similarities. We'll likely need to go through that same process so really helps to go through it once already. Thank you.

This beast showed up as a stray in November. We usually let the neighbours and nature take care of abandoned animals. By Christmas he had me convinced I needed hair everywhere and aeration on all the furniture. He just had his last shots, baby makers were removed, worms and ear infection gone somewhere in my house so he's looking for a big family to hunt deer with, play golf and I think he's a cross-dresser. Need a cat?

P3291830.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of it looks different then the 1948 gauges but there are similarities. We'll likely need to go through that same process so really helps to go through it once already. Thank you.

This beast showed up as a stray in November. We usually let the neighbours and nature take care of abandoned animals. By Christmas he had me convinced I needed hair everywhere and aeration on all the furniture. He just had his last shots, baby makers were removed, worms and ear infection gone somewhere in my house so he's looking for a big family to hunt deer with, play golf and I think he's a cross-dresser. Need a cat?

View attachment 760154
. We have 5 cats, one male, ginger with polydactyl front paws. Do not get in an argument with him. His gets his claws in, he takes meat. He’s a real nice cat tho. 2 coal black females, sisters. Extra sneaky. So sneaky we call them “Black Ops”. One calico female. She is one solid cat! Weighs about 15 pounds and getting her to do what you want? Heck no! And the last is my cat. She adopted me. Some jerk spayed her, declawed her front paws then dumped he out by my house. Took 6 months to earn her trust but she’s a sweetheart. Flat out got no more room. Cates, 3 dogs, 9 Guinea pigs and a son in law. Cats down belong to their owners, they allow you to feed and care for them, lol!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pics, forget to take them last night. I sprayed down the sticky areas with brake cleaner. It softened up the yuck so I could scrape it off with a putty knife. Almost finished cleaning it up. After that, I’ll clean up the frame where the tank mounts, then primer all of them and re-install.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gas tank is as done as I can make it. The bottom of the tank still has some kind of sticky stuff on it that proved too hard for me to mess with. If paint will “stick” to it, that’ll just have to do. I also got busy with the drive shaft clean up. Mostly just scraping old paint off. Next is the emergency brake and clean up the frame. Pics:

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there layers of paint on the driveshaft too? Primer, green then is that red on top again or bottom primer? That beast was maintained. I can't remember a restore with a fuel tank that wasn't full of holes. That tank looks beautiful. Or are you using your trick camera again that hides all the flaws? If the previous paint or whatever was used to seal the metal is still bonded then we scratch the top and paint it. Our purpose is just to protect the goods underneath so you're already ahead to the game, thanks for the pics.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there layers of paint on the driveshaft too? Primer, green then is that red on top again or bottom primer? That beast was maintained. I can't remember a restore with a fuel tank that wasn't full of holes. That tank looks beautiful. Or are you using your trick camera again that hides all the flaws? If the previous paint or whatever was used to seal the metal is still bonded then we scratch the top and paint it. Our purpose is just to protect the goods underneath so you're already ahead to the game, thanks for the pics.
. The drive shaft has two or three coats on top of the original paint. It’s coming off relatively easy. The fire department that had it must have stored it inside. The limited rust is probably due to it being stored outside after the FD sold it. I wish I had a magic camera, lol! I could fix a bunch of stuff the easy way. In many ways this truck has become a surprising jewel!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing done today. We’ve had some good weather and I have a BUNCH of parts to sort through. I have got to get rid of them. If I can sell them, I’ll have more money for the parts I need. Till then, sort, identify (if possible), put in a container of some sort and repeat. Yippee skippy...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got some work done today. Finished cleaning up the excess paint on the drive shaft. I decided the emergency brake was too dirty and needed a cosmetic cleanup. Got the 4 bolts removed from the disk but I couldn’t finish. A blizzard is currently whacking the daylights out our county and being in an unheated barn wasn’t a good idea. Once this snow goes away, back to work. In the meantime, the basement is just begging to get cleared out...

nattieleather

Have you tried good old chemical paint stripper on the sticky parts on that gas tank? Sometimes that will loosen and or dissolve that under coating. Might be worth a shot? Keep up the good work it is looking good!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried good old chemical paint stripper on the sticky parts on that gas tank? Sometimes that will loosen and or dissolve that under coating. Might be worth a shot? Keep up the good work it is looking good!
. I have considered using elephant snot paint remover. It’s great stuff. The problem is the smell and the chemicals in the stuff. I spent too many years working as a helicopter mechanic. Any more exposure is a bad thing. Thank you though for the suggestion and kind words!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the emergency brake removed. There’s a screw on the brake shoe assembly that is an adjustment point. It also has to be removed to get the brake drum off. Took Vice Grips to finally get the screw off. Now to find or make a replacement. Anyway, I blasted the drum with the sand blaster cabinet. The sand I was using got too powdery. Fortunately, I had more. Got the shoe assembly started but that paint just doesn’t want to come off easy. I’ll finish it tomorrow. Pics:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks