G506 Class 525 (G7133) restore

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That cab is just a piece of artwork. All the round metal, the harmony, balance, the flowing lines. I gotta find something round to work with.

One of our seldom visiting Steel Soldiers recently took a museum based autobody class and he's all over a few new rust products. I'll dig up his favorite brand names.

Inspiring, thanks for sharing.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slowly working through the pile of parts off the G506. Todays effort was focused on the step supports on both sides. The right hand (passenger) side was fairly simple. Stick part in sand blaster cabinet and remove old paint, rust, etc. the drivers side is a different story. I’m not sure who would have welded these brackets to the step supports but I would hope they were penalized for a horrible welding job. I’m not a welder but I think I could do better than this:

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can weld like that if you need to match something for historical reasons. I use damp 1078 rods, don't clean the surface, put the ground a mile away and spray a little wd40 down first.

This build has me eyeing every round cab I see so watching you aim for that crazy detail is inspiring. Sure like to find a G506 that needs work but any round cab has me looking now.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can weld like that if you need to match something for historical reasons. I use damp 1078 rods, don't clean the surface, put the ground a mile away and spray a little wd40 down first.

This build has me eyeing every round cab I see so watching you aim for that crazy detail is inspiring. Sure like to find a G506 that needs work but any round cab has me looking now.
That 5 window pickup would make one awesome restoration project. Just finding one these days can be considered close to a miracle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks