• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

gentrysgarage

I had a floor furnace that was built in the 20's. I had a Gas Company "technician" come by and light the pilots after I bought the house, it was a insurance thing. He saw it and said oh my you should replace this it's ancient. My reply is there leaks? No does it work properly? yes. So why should I replace it? cause its old and the pilot wastes a ton of gas. My patience ran out light the dang thing! Never had any trouble with that furnace...simple is best!

On another note, I am hoping to remove and replace the engine and trans in my M135 before the new year. Does whoever wanted the transmission still want it? Also have some gasser parts I won't be using (keeping engne assembly)..but auxillary stuff ask up!

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a floor furnace that was built in the 20's. I had a Gas Company "technician" come by and light the pilots after I bought the house, it was a insurance thing. He saw it and said oh my you should replace this it's ancient. My reply is there leaks? No does it work properly? yes. So why should I replace it? cause its old and the pilot wastes a ton of gas. My patience ran out light the dang thing! Never had any trouble with that furnace...simple is best!
Simple does work.....agreed. Yet, it can be dangerous and incredibly inefficient. Worked on many converted coal/oil burners......sometimes it's best to move forward, just a little....LMAO

1944mb

Gentry-would be interested in transmission...are you around Vegas this weekend?? I'm visiting my sister, maybe you could drop it off--haha just teasing. Seriously would be interested in transmission, have some family that lives in Diego, won't be down till beginning of summer where I could pick it up-might be able to get someone to run up and get it before if you needed it out of there. Also what else do you have? I may be able to drop stuff off on my way back to Montana if someone needed. What would you want for the transmission. I would really like to rebuild one just need some free time--business has owned me lately.

Aahh the floor furnace. If you want to run an older piece of equipment I have no problem with it. I would be recommend the flue piping/chimney/heat exchanger be inspected to make sure it has not rusted out and is venting correctly. Also something that old would most likely originally had a "petcock" assembly for a pilot-meaning you turn the valve open and light the pilot. If the pilot blows out the gas stays on indefinitely. I would highly recommend converting to an automatic gas valve and pilot assembly that if the pilot goes out the valve closes and shuts the gas off. In your area with as warm as it is efficiency and paying you back is slower process but the newer equipment, does have many more safeties and such that is beneficial. Ultimately it's your choice but an older furnace, like an older g749 truck works best if you keep it inspected for safety:)

gentrysgarage

Gentry-would be interested in transmission...are you around Vegas this weekend?? I'm visiting my sister, maybe you could drop it off--haha just teasing. Seriously would be interested in transmission, have some family that lives in Diego, won't be down till beginning of summer where I could pick it up-might be able to get someone to run up and get it before if you needed it out of there. Also what else do you have? I may be able to drop stuff off on my way back to Montana if someone needed. What would you want for the transmission. I would really like to rebuild one just need some free time--business has owned me lately.

The trans is yours,I am not going to use the following. Fording air cleaner assembly from carb horn to fording cap (that I just bought) comes with special mushroom assembly, exhaust pipe shield assembly, tandem spring assemblies, The fat muffler mount, blackout light lens front/rear, a generator for parts with a broken mounting ear (I will be keeping the Douglas connector off it). Some will go to the metal maggots if not wanted (sadly due to my space issue).

On another note could someone with a parts manual look up the bearings for the boogie rocker and brake spindle bearings and tell me if they are the same..visual size wise the look the same.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 test stand

That looks like a future test stand for someone!

Could have used it to hold down the tent because four pallets wasn't enough. Perfect weather for digging through the sea-can and instead I get to practice putting tents up again....too funny. This was a summer tent apparently so the cold Alberta prairie wind shredded it. Good way to get out of a wedding if a guy needed a plan.

PB230717.jpg

We did get that first G749 piece off the ground and in the air. Lots of room for extra parts now so don't be shy about hoarding some more.

PB230720.jpgPB230724.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bearings used in multiple areas

On another note could someone with a parts manual look up the bearings for the boogie rocker and brake spindle bearings and tell me if they are the same..visual size wise the look the same.
Good cross-reference for our bearing hoarders. Part # 712868 from the G749 parts manual works for both spindle and the midnight rocking boogie woogie bogie rocker. The race is the same too so good find from Gentry's garage! Race(Cup) # 712869

PB270726.jpgPB270725.jpg

1944mb

Good cross-reference for our bearing hoarders. Part # 712868 from the G749 parts manual works for both spindle and the midnight rocking boogie woogie bogie rocker. The race is the same too so good find from Gentry's garage! Race(Cup) # 712869
While you are on a roll...what about the hose coming off the air compressor going to the fire wall. Just guessimating, but could one call it the governor hose??
In the pic its the black one-has to crimped ends on it

Attachments

gentrysgarage

The truck was one of the "Russian" trucks blown up for "Red Dawn" Only have a week to get it or to the scrappers it goes. The land was sold out from under its resting place. But speaking of places that is what I don't have so I'll probably nab the transfer case at the least. Gonna sleep on it and see if I come up with a solution...I agree with you plowboy, It really would make a wonderful engine test stand!

Last edited:

1944mb

Haha, while I'm hauling, could throw it on the pile...but to be fair, I won't be down that way till spring so you may want to pass on my interest if you don't have any room. Also don't wanna put you out running all over the countryside picking up parts for me. Those trannys are a little heavy. But I hate to see any of them go by by since there are fewer all the time

gentrysgarage

Yeah I want to save all of them, but my Dad can attest to me having nightmares over wether or not I had paid storage on my Mopar musclecars that were spread from the San Fernando Valley to Lake LA (look at a map sometime) I swear I have a couple of Road Runners out there with 20 years of unpaid rent if they are even there anymore.

gentrysgarage

I wish there was a way to save that transmission too.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need to revolve the engine to remove the torus ring cover? Please answer/correct me soon as I have to reply to owner. Regrettably gentry's garage is on a REALLY small plot of land and can't get assembly into backyard .

1944mb

Gentry are you trying to separate engine and tranny? Pull the 6-8 bolts hat hold inspection cover on, spin the engine over and remove the 32 or 33 bolts that hold the torus on and then there are 6-8 bolts on the bellhousing and separate. The torus has oil in it so when you separate a bunch of oil will come out. Sorry thought I have some pictures but don't with me

gentrysgarage

Yes you will need to spin the engine over and remove 33 bolts from flywheel to separate the torus from the flywheel.
That sucks, as I thought though. The engine is locked up. Ever move and engine and trans on a slope....in a word DON"T.

Torching the bellhousing is the only immediate answer, and not a good one at that. Even if there is a torch onsite.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks