• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

gentrysgarage

Talked to the guy, he is wanting some money for this, how much does this tranny weigh? Current scrap prices? Does anybody really want it? I ask as if I can swing it this Saturday and there is an Oxy Acytlene torch onsite I would cut the crank at the rear main and drop the trans. It seems the FX crew was really into the war scene and shot a few holes THROUGH the block I doubt crank is any good. He seems proud of the transfercase also.

USMC 00-08

Somebody told me that scrap is $64 a ton out here. I don't know if that is true. If it is, you should charge the guy $30 for all this if you have to do the work. :grin:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While you are on a roll...what about the hose coming off the air compressor going to the fire wall. Just guessimating, but could one call it the governor hose??
In the pic its the black one-has to crimped ends on it
There is one reference in 9-8024, pg. 455, for that line and they want to call it the governor air line. Up here, that line goes into the backside of the priministerial air bag.

Talked to the guy, he is wanting some money for this, how much does this tranny weigh? Current scrap prices? Does anybody really want it?
It's always hopeful that trucks taken offline still have healthy internal parts that have been protected from the elements. If there's still oil in that transmission and not rust......or air....we all want it.

Maybe poke it a few more times to see if it makes that gotta have it sound. I will say..... that a very determined G749 man up here paid $800.00 to get an exhaust manifold sent north so look over those "perishable" parts too.

That being said, you won't forget that I'd convince anyone to hoard parts and make them available to the next guy that has the wag to take a G749 to the finish line. Do what you think is right and we've got your back....or a dislocated shoulder, whichever comes first.

1944mb

I've had others in the g749 world tell them they take a sledge to the bellhousing cause it shatters real easy. This is of course only only on a seize engine. I kept working with mine till I could free it.

1944mb

Somebody told me that scrap is $64 a ton out here. I don't know if that is true. If it is, you should charge the guy $30 for all this if you have to do the work. :grin:
Amen! What the heck it sits in a heap for decades, now its the most valuable thing on the place!! What I was trying to say above was that I've heard of other G749ers taking a sledge to the bellhousing and busting it to gain access to all the torus bolts if the engine is stuck. I kept working my engine over with oil, knocked the rod caps off the stubborn pistons and finally was able to spin it around enough to remove the bolts. Breaking the bellhousing kind of seemed like curing the headache by cutting off the head!!

gentrysgarage

Amen! What the heck it sits in a heap for decades, now its the most valuable thing on the place!!
I never did get an actual price from him, but he was saving it for the trans and tcase all these years. The part I wanted the most where the front rearward spring hangers...but where torched.

What I was trying to say above was that I've heard of other G749ers taking a sledge to the bellhousing and busting it to gain access to all the torus bolts if the engine is stuck. I kept working my engine over with oil, knocked the rod caps off the stubborn pistons and finally was able to spin it around enough to remove the bolts. Breaking the bellhousing kind of seemed like curing the headache by cutting off the head!!
We were just bench racing Emergency measures, would not have the time to free the motor, it would have to go immediately from truck to the backyard for storage for Team G749 . Have you seen my driveway?

But I do have good news, it won't be scrapped and is heading to Blythe tomorrow in the back of a 5 ton dump!

gentrysgarage

Clearance issues M1351 with M35 wheels/G177 tires

I thought I would post this up. If you are running G177 tires and M35 rims, you will have clearance issues with the M135's (with the M135 rear brake drums!) rocker spring seat at mid to extreme articulation.

IMG_0321.jpg

I would bet a 11r20 NTD on a M35 rim would be the same. you really do need the 11/16 difference on our trucks.

While we are on the subject does anybody know how much a stock M135 rim with a 11r20 weighs, crunching numbers and I have shed almost 1,00 pounds on my M135!

Note Edited title for clarity, an experiment with one variable is a better experiment than one with 2 variables Mr Plowboy! LOL!!!

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Tire/ Wheel options

I thought I would post this up. If you are running G177 tires and M35 rims, you will have clearance issues with the rocker spring seat at mid to extreme articulation.

View attachment 710411

I would bet a 11r20 NTD on a M35 rim would be the same. you really do need the 11/16 difference on our trucks.

While we are on the subject does anybody know how much a stock M135 rim with a 11r20 weighs, crunching numbers and I have shed almost 1,00 pounds on my M135!
That sounds like it might be a find with historical value. Always wondered why they ran the 9.00 - 20's on the dual wheeled trucks with the off-set rim. This may be the primary reason or at least contributed to the decision.....cool.

Let's get the data up here with the 'Wheel Assy" offset 6 3/16" ( M211, 15, 17, 20, 21 and 22) and 5 1/2" off-sets for the M135. (TM ORD 9 - SNL - G749 1955)

PC010967.jpg

I was looking for pictures with the difference in the off-set between the M135 rims (wheel assembly) and the other M trucks but the numbers are there. First one to come up with a picture of the M135 and M211 rim will receive a new Canadian Civil Defence T-shirt.......

The G749 ALSO has a different "Hub, Drum and bearing" assembly for the M135 and the off-set can be seen here. It's as clear as mud to me that we're dealing with 2 off-sets between the M135 (M133) and other M211, 220, 207, .....9.00 / 20 tire size trucks. Rim (wheel assy) and drum......capiche?

PC010965.jpg

We're getting so close to the finish line in the G749 storage cans I can smell the bleach. I'm standing on the edge of the transmission parts boxes and starting to see how I can gorilla glue this stuff back together to make a complete transmission again. This is supposed to be NOS but I've never seen one worn out so need to learn how to check tolerances ....after being tolerant and finding the tolerances in the tolerance specs in the TM.

PB290942.jpgPB290944.jpgPB290947.jpgPB290956.jpg

Gracie is slowly getting a roof. Mickey Mouse and I started hoisting the pallet racking in place. The end racks must be 16' high....but they were free. Found some 3' x mostly 10' pieces of heavy roofing sheet steel on line for $10.00 each so if we could just get a few more minutes of sunlight each day....starting in about 3 weeks.....we'd be real happy. Getting close to that 7 hrs of sunlight a day so summer must be getting close.

I am wondering if we shouldn't ground this frame??? It'll be anchored to 6x6 timber with rebar hoops pushed into the ground about 4 feet so it doesn't fly like an eagle but lightning protection isn't my strong point.

PB290933.jpgPB290935.jpg

The SuperDave parts deal to Mattech netted Gracie a mighty fine e-brake mount that goes on the back of the transmission so nothing but sunny days ahead....working in the shade under Gracie.

PB290937.jpgPB290931.jpg

Speaking of flying like an eagle...I had a tough time with the twin engine birds last year and piled up 2 mosquitos. I'm not alone and learned that rudder input on slow speed turns will help keep the tail from dragging this bird into a stall. I aerobatic the wings off my planes so really got taught a few lessons on how easy a twin is to stall...... This one has it's tail glued to the fuselage behind the wing, right wing and nacelle reattached, rudder and wing tips all glued on and ready to fly again.

I'm just wondering if we have any 'flying tips' out there before I hit the send button on the throttle stick? Getting video should be the first tip!

PB300962.jpg

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Does this picture count for the T-shirt or do we need another angle? Those are 1100x20s. These are on truck #4984. It has been that way for over 30 years.

100_2810.jpg

Man I wish I was up there to give you some free help sorting parts. Getting eyes and hands on would be payment enough. What book are you finding all those parts breakdown pictures? Ord 9 SNL G-749?

I also added the spring pivot bearing to the parts list.

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

Man I wish I was up there to give you some free help sorting parts. Getting eyes and hands on would be payment enough. What book are you finding all those parts breakdown pictures? Ord 9 SNL G-749?

I also added the spring pivot bearing to the parts list.
It does sound like fun...except for the sub zero temps....been a Southern Cali boy too long my skin is too thin for those temps.

On another note I corrected my clearance post and Identified all the constants and THE one variable!

Lastly I will donate money to Mr Plowboy so he can have someone scan that manual that he AlWAYS TEASES US WITH!......wHO'S WITH ME!!!!!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had others in the g749 world tell them they take a sledge to the bellhousing cause it shatters real easy. This is of course only only on a seize engine. I kept working with mine till I could free it.
It also sucks that since the transmission half of the bell housing is essentially machined on to the engine half of the bell housing during assembly, destroying one half means the bell assembly is trash. Knocking the pistons out of a jammed/destroyed block sounds like an option. I have 2 on the shelf ready to come apart if you're bored.

PC030983.jpg

Does this picture count for the T-shirt or do we need another angle? Those are 1100x20s. These are on truck #4984. It has been that way for over 30 years.

View attachment 710567

I wish you were here too but you just helped us all by posting that pictures. We need to follow this up with a flow chart to keep track of whom is sending T-shirts to whom. Or is that who to who. We just put an order in for our first round of promotional clothing so I'll be sure you get the first one ish.

I'm just putting this up because it wasn't always clear if we could easily single out a deuce by removing one wheel and flipping the M211 wheel assembly.

When I read the top right corner of page 360....it clearly states that Part # 7413231 (N) the narrow drum back plate.....goes on every axle of the M211, 217, 215, 220...etc......AS WELL AS THE FRONT OF THE M135......

The fatter, larger "back" off-set part # 7413232 (K) goes on the back of the M135.

PC030984.jpg

The change that was made to the single wheel M135 (M133) was a fatter back spacing to bring the rear wheels in (narrower).....so they wouldn't follow in the track of the front wheels. Front..... 82 1/2" Rear....78.....( data-plate)

The manuals are great. I give guys like Doghead full credit for encouraging me to know the manuals before pushing a throttle. Back in the day he'd attach links, recite phrases, pages and quotes from the manuals so having that base knowledge....for me.... was a great start. I don't see that 700+ page parts manual at Portrayal Press right now but those guys are terrific at finding things and sending them out fast. https://www.portrayalpress.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=g749&Submit=

PC030982.jpg

It does sound like fun...except for the sub zero temps....been a Southern Cali boy too long my skin is too thin for those temps.

I haven't posted to the how cold is it thread because fall has been extended and I'm keeping quiet or we'll be inundated with southerners. ........People will be asking, where do you go in the winter? ...Everyone will be saying,,,,,we go up to Canada in the winter....it's cooler up there......and we can work outdoors without our ice-suits on.....don't go there in the summer though....the mosquitos have a 4 foot wing-span.....

Come on up...the water's fine.

PC020981.jpg

gentrysgarage

It also sucks that since the transmission half of the bell housing is essentially machined on to the engine half of the bell housing during assembly, destroying one half means the bell assembly is trash. Knocking the pistons out of a jammed/destroyed block sounds like an option. I have 2 on the shelf ready to come apart if you're bored.

View attachment 710641

Actually this is does not actually need to be the case, this is the easiest solution, as the flywheel housings are indexed and machined to be concentric to the cylinder block. If you look at your 1960's Dodge manuals, they go in depth on how to alight the manual transmission bellhousing to the engine crankshaft. They expected the engines would be driven hard, blown up and replaced. You would only have to find the center of the transmission shaft. This is the reason along with machines holding tolarances better that late model transmissions have less bolts from tourque conveter to flywheel and its not as big a deal exchanging transmissions.

The point is where theres a will theres a way....just the path isn't as easy as keeping the engine and transmission assembly together.

1944mb

Actually this is does not actually need to be the case, this is the easiest solution, as the flywheel housings are indexed and machined to be concentric to the cylinder block. If you look at your 1960's Dodge manuals, they go in depth on how to alight the manual transmission bellhousing to the engine crankshaft. They expected the engines would be driven hard, blown up and replaced. You would only have to find the center of the transmission shaft. This is the reason along with machines holding tolarances better that late model transmissions have less bolts from tourque conveter to flywheel and its not as big a deal exchanging transmissions.

The point is where theres a will theres a way....just the path isn't as easy as keeping the engine and transmission assembly together.
my theory also is that like any New Texhnology that they figured everything had to perfectly matched. As time goes on it's apparent across the manufacturers that having matched bell housing isn't critical.

USMC 00-08

One of my parts trucks has mismatched bell housings. The previous owner told me that they used the truck extensively on a pecan orchard and the truck was working great when they parked it years ago. The farm shut down and the truck sat for 25 or 30 years after that.

gentrysgarage

my theory also is that like any New Texhnology that they figured everything had to perfectly matched. As time goes on it's apparent across the manufacturers that having matched bell housing isn't critical.
I think if look at our little stepbrother the M35, it seems the newer the truck the more problems. Bearings are happier if they are aligned, the extra time spent made for a longer lasting truck.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Iltis Save

The gentleman that hauls the M135 around spotted an Iltis for sale and dialed me up at 2230h last night. By 1240h today, a deposit was made and the Iltis was pulled out of it's hole waiting for a trailer to pick it up tomorrow.

You might think the Plowboy would keep a smokin' $2,700.00 deal like this....but after driving an Early Deuce.....well,,,,,you know, jeeps are puny!
Instead, I phoned a husband and wife team that are as purist as one can stand so the Iltis and this snappy little trailer will get saved...period...correct.

PC100825.jpgPC100837.jpgPC100836.jpgPC100832.jpgPC100826.jpg

.....all because Goose had some transmission problems,,,,,nice!

Still found some time to open more boxes and start putting parts on the new 20' long shelf. Some obvious water damage on the MC and a few transmission parts but the pancake and molasses recipe will take care of that. Lots of transmission parts to sort out so whoever is bored first...........

PC080798.jpgPC100838.jpgPC100841.jpgPC100862.jpgPC100847.jpgPC100860.jpg

Have you ever seen what's on the bottom of the dip tube on the G749 transmission? It's an upside down ice screen cone. Likely designed to keep me from dropping a bolt into the transmission. Good to know it's there!

PC100854.jpgPC100851.jpg

It's real cool opening boxes that we packed away after the fire 4 years ago. Now I remember what I was working on and where all the line wrenches went that I was missing.

PC100843.jpg

This is as high as the sun gets at mid-day up here so we must be getting close to summer again.....eh?

PC090804.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOS parts G749 repair

Pulled some NOS parts out of the Gizmo barn that we stocked away last year and found out that famous saying is true.

"If it's got an engine or tires it's bound to...." That's not it!

"If it's electrical replace it and if your rubber wears out...." That's not it either!

...anyway, when you buy NOS parts keep the hopes high and the expectations low. Rubbers don't last forever!

PC120874.jpg PC120872.jpg

Got distracted by this Iltis thing after an ideal recovery yesterday and finding a few cool items on-board. The Bombardier came off a farm and Charlie the bull helped with the recovery. So cool petting a baby bull.

KIMG0168.jpgKIMG0174.jpgKIMG0173.jpgKIMG0172.jpgKIMG0169.jpgKIMG0171.jpg

This funky fording flap of steel for the front of the grill must be for fording.

PC120866.jpgPC120865.jpgPC120864.jpg

......and a cute little X-wrench with a jack. Read a bit of the story with Volkswagon building them first then the Bombardier boys buying the contract and building them in Canada.
Neat! Kind of suiting that a German Shepherd owns the folks wagon now.

PC120868.jpgPC120871.jpgPC120870.jpg

Got another few layers one the G749 storage shelf and it sure is a nice view from the top rack. Wait......where'd the sun go?

PC120888.jpgPC120887.jpg

rustystud

The gentleman that hauls the M135 around spotted an Iltis for sale and dialed me up at 2230h last night. By 1240h today, a deposit was made and the Iltis was pulled out of it's hole waiting for a trailer to pick it up tomorrow.

You might think the Plowboy would keep a smokin' $2,700.00 deal like this....but after driving an Early Deuce.....well,,,,,you know, jeeps are puny!
Instead, I phoned a husband and wife team that are as purist as one can stand so the Iltis and this snappy little trailer will get saved...period...correct.

View attachment 711663View attachment 711667View attachment 711666View attachment 711665View attachment 711664

.....all because Goose had some transmission problems,,,,,nice!

Still found some time to open more boxes and start putting parts on the new 20' long shelf. Some obvious water damage on the MC and a few transmission parts but the pancake and molasses recipe will take care of that. Lots of transmission parts to sort out so whoever is bored first...........

View attachment 711675View attachment 711668View attachment 711669View attachment 711671View attachment 711670View attachment 711677

Have you ever seen what's on the bottom of the dip tube on the G749 transmission? It's an upside down ice screen cone. Likely designed to keep me from dropping a bolt into the transmission. Good to know it's there!

View attachment 711673View attachment 711672

It's real cool opening boxes that we packed away after the fire 4 years ago. Now I remember what I was working on and where all the line wrenches went that I was missing.

View attachment 711676

This is as high as the sun gets at mid-day up here so we must be getting close to summer again.....eh?

View attachment 711674
I'm still looking for a complete Hydra-Matic to rebuild. I have a few car ones but no military units with the rear splitter unit.
I'm also still looking for a decent M135 or M211 to start playing with. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a few a couple years back when they where dirt cheap and plentiful . I have the extremely rare "race" rebuild book for the dual range Hydra-Matics. It has several ideas I would like to try out on a deuce transmission. Not for racing but for durability issues.
Looking at your shelves I'm reminded at the ones I had in my old cargo container. I had three complete Hydra-Matics but after the container started leaking two got totally destroyed by rust ! Now I wished I had spent the time and cleaned and "Painted" the parts. Paint can always come off, but rust destroys metal forever. Lesson learned.

gentrysgarage

I'm still looking for a complete Hydra-Matic to rebuild. I have a few car ones but no military units with the rear splitter unit.
I'm also still looking for a decent M135 or M211 to start playing with. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a few a couple years back when they where dirt cheap and plentiful . I have the extremely rare "race" rebuild book for the dual range Hydra-Matics. It has several ideas I would like to try out on a deuce transmission. Not for racing but for durability issues.
Looking at your shelves I'm reminded at the ones I had in my old cargo container. I had three complete Hydra-Matics but after the container started leaking two got totally destroyed by rust ! Now I wished I had spent the time and cleaned and "Painted" the parts. Paint can always come off, but rust destroys metal forever. Lesson learned.

Hi Rusty,
My transmission is spoken for, but if you scroll back through this tread the one that I talked about is probably still available and you might be able to get it if he would ship it. PM me if you are interested and I will send you his contact info.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 unknown transmissions sitting on a pallet that would like some warmer weather. I offered one to Montana as a Christmas gift last spring so if you're not finding something to work on, we should chat about a transport plan. I'd even give them a ride to Lethbridge, slip them in your truck and eat about $100 in appetizers, steak and creme brule' in front of you so you feel good about a free transmission. I just look forward to more pictures of a hydromatic tear-down.

There are 2 transmissions on shop floors not far from me, one is a take out and one is a rebuild that has been sitting in its crate for a long time. The guys were pricing them around $750 as a buddy price. I still have 3 in parts trucks, 4 in salvageable trucks, 1 as a donation from another project, 1 rebuild on loan, and 1 with newish parts in a box so it'd be easy if you were here.

If you don't find what you're looking for down there in the refrigerator, just open the door on the deep freezer up here.

We're still shopping for a better price on spark plugs so that is one item that we could use more of if you come across a good deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks