• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA 2011 Rally After Action Report

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The only thing i might add is maybe TWO INFO meetings, one in the morning ,one in the evening

Also did I just miss it or WHY WAS NOT A big AMERICAN FLAG FLYING HIGH

the playing of TAPS was great, though should be played when the WHOLE group is together, like at a morning group meeting.

Last edited:

poppop

For what it's worth, here's my 2cents on the whole rally.

I brought a very picky "Prim and Proper" lady to her very first trip to the woods...she did it cause she loves me...I know that...BUT:
Once MB got there and got her bearing and her feet on the ground, she couldn't believe what a class act that rally really was.
(The porta potties were sorta iffy...lol)

So...in format: Awe poop...

I don't see how you can improve on perfection...much.:D

When the biggest issue is hand washing stations etc...life in the field HAS to be good!

I do think the MKT Crew needs some relief...heck...I'll even pitch in...if Mike brings more Polish Vodka...and Wreckerman is on a trail ride or sumpin.
I think everyone that eats there should offer some sort of help but I think Mike, Wreckerman and maybe Clinto need to write that OPORD.

As far as vehicles parked dressed right...ummm...I dunno.

I think we can easily "overthink/over organize" this event into a sort of "Covenanted(?) Community".
I'm gonna vote to keep it like it is...park where ya can when ya get there...except in/near traffic/venue lanes...designated by management.

The fewer rules/requirements we have..the less stress...that's why I come.

Of course I will comply with whatever the majority/management comes up with...I just need this time to unwind.aua
Papabear and I think alike. we already have the greatest MV event ever. Yes we need soon improvement, but we can improve it to where its not nearly so much fun. When it gets so complicated that the organizers find it to be work then it is doomed. Yes lets make improvements but lets not make it so furstrating that the people that make it work throw in the towell. We have a great event and from my point of view if it stays the same as this year it will still be the high point of my year. There was not one single bad thing that happened this year to my knowledge. we all lived together for several days and enjoyed each other. Lets at least keep that going.

Jon_H

poppop said:
Jon_h, I appreciate the kind words but if that was me I had embibed to many cheerys. I think it was probably papabear but either way that is what we try to do.

Jon H, you were there a little after midite. I was at the gate when you posted between 10 and 12 and when I went over the fire was wondering where you were. I should have recognized the rover but I didn't. There were a few of us left standing when you arrived!
Yeh there were a few still around the fire when we showed up, offering around spirited refreshments in plastic bottles and such.
If I made a false accusation of you staying up drinking I apologize, either way it was a guy in camo with a funny accent, do you know him? :lol:

So on that note, I'd like to suggest for next year
BIGGER NAME TAGS!
rofl

poppop

The only thing i might add is maybe TWO INFO meetings, one in the morning ,one in the evening

Also did I just miss it or WHY WAS NOT A big AMERICAN FLAG FLYING HIGH

the playing of TAPS was great, though should be played when the WHOLE group is together, like at a morning group meeting.
Ron, I have always in the past brought my M813 and have flown the flag proudly from her right front fender. Due to my Wifes medical issues I did not bring it this year but I did give it much thought and decided not to try to transfer the flag to the Duece because of driving it on the trails. Yes, I believe we need the Flag displayed in a prominit position.

poppop

Yeh there were a few still around the fire when we showed up, offering around spirited refreshments in plastic bottles and such.
If I made a false accusation of you staying up drinking I apologize, either way it was a guy in camo with a funny accent, do you know him? :lol:

So on that note, I'd like to suggest for next year
BIGGER NAME TAGS!
rofl
I was in camo but I don't know about the accent, I think I talk normal. No apoligise necessary, if I was up that late I am proud of it.

ralbelt

I would think that a volunteer system for KP should work. Especially for those that don't have trucks there. I was there thurs,PM, about 1500 hrs,and had to leave about noon on Fri. Before the rally I was hoping to be able to volunteer some time at the MKT but my time was limited, and I was exhausted after being up for 36 hrs.

Next year I will hope to spend more time at the rally and If I am there I will put my name in for MKT duty. Mike and WM run a first class mess.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Every year at the Dixie Division MVPA meet at Tannehill, AL, folks donate stuff when they come in. On Saturday duing lunch they have an auction and the funds raised are donated to the MV museum in Huntsville.

We could do something similar and use the funds to offset things we need to make the rally better.
Being a military guy I like the idea of lining areas off and putting things "dress right dress".....maybe we can try it on for size next year to see if it works.

Since the rally is an evolving event we can do different things and pick what works best.

I thought "Vendors Row" looked good this year.
I talked it over with John, next year we'd like to donate a set of tires for a door prize. Or at least a store credit with us, since not everyone could use 37's.

Chief_919

I talked it over with John, next year we'd like to donate a set of tires for a door prize. Or at least a store credit with us, since not everyone could use 37's.
I would be more than happy to donate some goods as well. Can't predict what I will have on hand a year in advance, but I promise to make it good.

An auction, say Friday evening, would be a good way to raise $$$ to cover event expenses.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Here is my thoughts on the flag and rendering a salute to those who have passed on.

We seem to be a patriotic bunch and those of us that are ex-military would be happy to show
our friends the proper way to render honors.

I would like to do a Command Retreat ceremony where the flag is lowered while proper music is played and those of us who are inclined can render a salute. Saturday evening would be the optimum time for this after the afternoon ride and before chow is served. If we did an abreviated ceremony (no General making remarks) it could be done in 20 minutes or so. We would need a flagpole at least 25-30 feet high but that could be improvised and removed when we leave. I am sure we have members that know how to lower Old Glory and put her away properly.

I do not want to make anyone feel put upon to participate but I think this would be a good time to mention anyone that had passed from our ranks duing the year.

As far as Taps is concerned I just felt inclined to play it......it is played every night on all active duty military installations as a tribute to our comrades that are at peace.

Since we have the technology now I will continue to do it unless there are complaints from the neighbors.

I agree that we do not need to make it so rigid that it is not fun anymore.

Just the thoughts of an old war horse out in the pasture.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm just gonna throw this out here...for consideration...about donations.
A donation is made for the common good of the cause IMO so the cost of the donation is absorbed by the person donating. And it is completely voluntary.

The way it's done at the Guntruck Gatherings (I won't say how proceeds are distributed)
Grandmaster Clinto and his minions can decide for this rally....everyone that can donates a prize...whatever they can afford and are comfortable with...and yes...there are some expensive items donated.[thumbzup]

One of the ladies has a table and sells tickets...make up your own price per ticket.
Tickets are placed in a container and drawn one at a time. If ya win, ya get to pick ANY prize...no restrictions. Tickets are drawn til prizes are gone.:grin:

Unfortunately I was not able to be at the rally this year although I really wanted t be. That said, I can say that I have been involved in events such as this but in other types of organizations. As others have noted, it is almost always 10% of the group that does 90% of the work while others are off having the fun.

A suggestion for the MKT staffing problem:

I know there is a per day or per meal fee for each person wishing to partake in the eating of the MKT food, perhaps when you purchase your daily (Or weekend?) food pass there can be a sign up sheet. On the sign up sheet you pick one single meal in which you will donate your time to work as needed in/on/for the MKT. Everybody that eats "Works" one single meal. (Those with a valid medical reason and kids under about 10 should be excused) All others pick a shift. Picking a shift is a requirement for being allowed to purchase the eating ticket. If you really don't want to work a shift you can "Buy out" for $3.00 per day ($1.00 per meal) The money from the "buy outs" could be used to fund one or more paid people, to pay the "Core" MKT staff, to the MTK owner for maintenance/upgrades, for more/better food or whatever the management decides.

A note on the "Kids" shifts, it is probably a real good idea to require at least one parent or guardian to "Work" the same shift. Obviously "Kids duties" should be scaled to the age, size and maturity of the kid. Handing out napkins, hauling trash, policing the grounds, whatever is appropriate to age, size and maturity.

To go along with this program the various shifts should have clearly defined times when you are expected to report for duty and when you should expect to be dismissed. "Working" for 4 hours once during the weekend to help the community (Or pitching in an extra $1.00 per meal) should not really be a big burden for anybody.

For those with a spouse or other family picking the same shift could even serve as a "Family outing"and it helps kids learn responsibility. Overall, if is healthy for the individual and the group.

Somebody (I forget who) once said, "Many hands make for light work"

I hope to be there next year and you can count on me for at least 1 meal in the MKT,, (If it is "required" or not.)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This was a thought and now that I have a system in place, I am planning to add the hometown in a smaller font down low. I had planned on saving every namtag to file but got overwhelmed upon arrival and failed. I will make a concerted effort to do that next year. In the course of the next year I would like to obtain a command post tent like gimpster had and set that up at the gate.
We'll do better next year. I have a tent we can use and it'll be R E A L nice.

And I need to get there earlier.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here is my thoughts on the flag and rendering a salute to those who have passed on.
We seem to be a patriotic bunch and those of us that are ex-military would be happy to show
our friends the proper way to render honors.
I would like to do a Command Retreat ceremony where the flag is lowered while proper music is played and those of us who are inclined can render a salute. Saturday evening would be the optimum time for this after the afternoon ride and before chow is served. If we did an abreviated ceremony (no General making remarks) it could be done in 20 minutes or so. We would need a flagpole at least 25-30 feet high but that could be improvised and removed when we leave. I am sure we have members that know how to lower Old Glory and put her away properly.
I do not want to make anyone feel put upon to participate but I think this would be a good time to mention anyone that had passed from our ranks duing the year.
As far as Taps is concerned I just felt inclined to play it......it is played every night on all active duty military installations as a tribute to our comrades that are at peace.
Since we have the technology now I will continue to do it unless there are complaints from the neighbors.
I agree that we do not need to make it so rigid that it is not fun anymore.
Just the thoughts of an old war horse out in the pasture.
If you all will allow us, CAMO will be proud to render honors to the colors and perform a Command Retreat Ceremony on any...or every night at 16:30hrs as prescribed.

As far as anyone being "put upon" to participate, my best advise is if you don't want to honor our Nation, Her Colors, and Her fallen, then just keep your sorry ass at home and let real Americans take care of business.

And yes...you are oldroflrofl

Blythewoodjoe

I’m very opinionated so here goes my suggestions.
Trail rides.

I rode on one trail ride and it was very fun. Wish I had done more.
Sustain.

Food.
Good to have food available. I appreciate all the work that goes into this.
Sustain.

Check in at gate.
Very good to have some accountability at the gate.
Sustain.

Now for the “improvements”.

Kitchen.
The only thing I was disappointed about with the operation was the unpredictable nature of the event. I think we need more punctuality. My mother retired from the school food service industry and I have been with my parents on very primitive outings where we served over 300 teenagers meals on trails that where on time and hot. I told her about the rally food and she had one thing to say: Organization.

I don’t mean to criticize the staff, you guys do work I don’t want to. But I would like to suggest having sign up sheets with a specific number of volunteers needed, what they are needed for and when they will need to be there. When I am involved in an activity at the rally, I may not be able to drop what I am doing when the call come over the PA to volunteer, but I would gladly sign up and report for duty. We do this at church events all the time and it really works well. I don’t like pulling names from a hat for work details. This is a vacation time for many of us and being told what to do is not going to happen.

I spent way too much time “watching” the kitchen. Knowing what time the meal would be served would have made my experience a lot more fulfilling. I suspect a predetermined number of helpers arriving at a specific time would facilitate getting meals ready on time. I will volunteer for at least one meal a day so put me down, for a specific time;-)

Trail rides.
I only planned to ride Friday afternoon but was not able to make the ride. I think it is because the ride did not take place. I was able to hook up with the gang around 5:00 pm for a short ride. I don’t have any real suggestions for the trail rides but I think there needs to be more organization to this. It has been suggested to have several trail bosses and maybe that would help a lot. I think the afternoon in question was spent recovering a truck. Last year I missed most of the rides because I would walk up to inquire about rides only to find out everyone had just left.

Sanitation.
I had planned to set up a real sink for washing hands and brought 200’ of water line to do that. When I arrived I realized what I had in mind would not work. Running water on the ground around there would make a mess and all the areas I thought might work for that had things set up on them. I am a plumber/welder/HVAC man. I spend most of my time running underground utilities. If Durhamtown would be willing to let me, I would be willing to run some pipe for water and possibly power into the area for the rally. Nothing that would be a freeze hazard or anything like that. I would not mind coming down in the fall of next year and working a half day or so on this. Something to think about.

At very least I see no reason we can’t set up a sink about where Kenny’s truck was sitting and run the drain over to the RV drains and water from there too. No need to fill up cans. Depending on the system in place we could always set up a real toilet near the gate. A little out house that flushes for those moving moments in our lives. I have been meaning to build a “bathroom” trailer. I love running pipe.

While I may try to complicate some of the workings here, Papabear is right about keeping it simple. This is hands down the most easy going and enjoyable thing I do all year. The more rules we add, the more up tight we all get.

Well I thinks that is probably enough for now.
Joe

poppop

Some more comments about the MKT. There is not room for a lot of workers in the MKT. Once you get past 5 people everyone is having to move to let someone thru. One of the biggest needs is dish washers. There were many times the pots or utunsels we needed had to be cleaned first. The biggest problem with the timing of the meals is not enough cook top space to work on. The bacon is cooked first, them the eggs on the same grill. The grits, which take a long time had to get nearly done and then be moved to another burner so the bisquits could go in. Then the grits had to be set aside so a grill could be put over that burner so Jonelle could do the pancakes. when coffee or tea was made it took a long time to get that done so then that burner could be used for cooking. The second MKT was a big help by providing more prep space and storage for pots and pans. Next year I will bring a burner and pot to cook the grits beside the Mkt. That will help on the days we have grits but will do no good other times. The best of all worlds would be to have another operational MKT to double the cook space but that is a lot to ask because that would double the work of setup and teardown.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam (ferro) graciously brought his MKT this year, but we were only able to use it as storage because he has not gotten all the 'little' things that make it complete - canopy poles (need 12), burners (MBU's or propane, need 6), knives and other utensils.

Lloyd is correct on the number of cooks, in fact the Army states the full crew of an MKT is a Mess Sergeant and four cooks - more than that and they get in each others way! I'll be working on the MST (Mobile Sanitation Trailer) this winter so we can wash up at night (and actually see what we are doing).

Next year I want to have one person in charge of the drinks, making the tea, coffee and Koolaid, checking on the silver bullet and the CAMBRO drink containers, making sure the cups are out, supervising the ice, etc. I've located the other plastic wash apron and the other pair of dish washing gloves, so they will be present.

Keep the ideas coming, there's lots more room for improvement!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For a hand washing station, what does the masses think of this? A 275 gallon tote we'll fill with water from the RV section. Have it on the back of a M105 trailer or something to keep it elevated. Then setup a laundry tub next to it. And some hose to allow the drain to drain away from the site. If that's good, I'll try to gather it up for the next rally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks