• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA 2011 Rally After Action Report

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think this would be good for the main area ivo where the trash truck is. I still think we will need something at each latrine. We also double the latrine count in that area since it seems to be one of the highest use areas or we could make the main latrine/handwashing area ivo the fire pit.

Uh, we do shake a lot of hands. Knuckle bumps or elbow bumps for next year LOL.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be nice to have hand wash stations near each set of porta-potties. We should have the cooks and the folks eating at the MKT setup (we actually had a setup, with a paper towel dispenser this year, but not many people used it). Soap was donated by ZOUT, and works great!

The device I hope to have next year has a self contained waste water storage. But it will be for use at the MKT.

bigugh20

As for the MKT - I went up several times to volunteer to wash dishes. Only once was I able to actually help out, and I set that one up the night before. It is all in the timing. I kinda like the sign up for a shift idea. Then you stay handy for an hour, or so, depending on the number of volunteers. That way if washing isn't needed, then re-filling ice or tea, or cups, or whatever could be accomplished by the person on-shift.

As far as a flag, taps and colors - I love the idea. I get chills everytime.

Handwashing and sanitation - could easily be accomplished by the individual using antibacterial handwipes or such. They are in-expensive and easy to pack.

Trailrides - I love em. The day and a half of rain leading into the rally certainly made the trails interesting. As we setteled into the rally this year, announcements seemed to come more frequently including for the trailrides. Letting the trucks stage up beforehand makes it easier for people to "hitch" a ride if they aren't driving, but still want to go. Keep it just llike it is.

The PA system - was great, but it can not be heard as you near the perimeter of the field, where many of us were camping. Maybe a couple more speakers. Definately keep it.

[thumbzup]

SCcowgirl80

Ok ya'll. Here's my two cents for this year. Sorry it's not in a good format, but it'll be presentable.

MKT- I'm all for the sign up sheet. AMGeneral and I generally stay to help break down the MKT on Sunday, but I had to get back to civilization and find an internet connection :wink:
As far as hand washing arrangements, if needed, I have a portable hot water unit for my horse trailer that is really easy to move around and heats water pretty quickly. Thank goodness for crazy horse people. lol :cookoo: That would probably be nicer on those chilly mornings and evenings than cold water.

PA System- Very nicely thought out. The only thing I'd like to see added if possible is another speaker on the bottom right side of the compound. Those of us set up down there really had to strain to hear the announcements.

Parking Areas?- I don't know if setting up actual parking areas would help or hinder, but I agree that it would be a good idea to at least mark off travel lanes so everyone can get around with ease.

Otherwise, I say keep everything as is. I've enjoyed this year's rally as much as every other. Thanks go out to Clinto, Wreckerman, SquirtTruck, Carnac, SCSG, Recovery4x4, and everyone that I didn't mention for another outstanding weekend!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
PA System- Very nicely thought out. The only thing I'd like to see added if possible is another speaker on the bottom right side of the compound. Those of us set up down there really had to strain to hear the announcements.
I originally bought three of those systems......I just bought that one back and a fellow SS member has one of the others. Next year if he can't make it to the rally again I'll borrow the two speakers from his and we will have four.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as sanitation stations, we need to check with Mr McCommons to see who services the blue rooms. Just about every portajohn place rents hand cleaning stations. Rather than riigging, purchasing or fabbing up something, we should just rent some for the event. I found one on an auction site but used for $250 if would be easier to rent them. These expenses should be factored into the rally expenses and budgeted accordingly. They are self contained and feature a foot pump for water.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As far as sanitation stations, we need to check with Mr McCommons to see who services the blue rooms. Just about every portajohn place rents hand cleaning stations. Rather than riigging, purchasing or fabbing up something, we should just rent some for the event. I found one on an auction site but used for $250 if would be easier to rent them. These expenses should be factored into the rally expenses and budgeted accordingly. They are self contained and feature a foot pump for water.
275 gallon totes can be had for $50 on craigslist. I can find a bath sink for that much or less. I don't mind purchasing that, as I could use them around the house as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
275 gallon totes can be had for $50 on craigslist. I can find a bath sink for that much or less. I don't mind purchasing that, as I could use them around the house as well.
I agree with you on pricing. Heck, I have 4 totes and one that Ferro forgot at his house (thankfully). Do you mind servicing it during the weekend? It would be simple if we could gouge little drainfields but if not, we are going to be toting gray water. I think we need to do a Cost Benefit Analysis between the two systems to see what might work. I have a 25 gallon tank with a pump and solar system that could be used as well but in the end, we need to do the CBA. A few years back we assembled a wash station with a tote at the FL Rally. Drainage to the ground created a very muddy area in just a day or two.

2dogsafightin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks

It was GREAT.....My first mil veh rally and it was GREAT. I am planning to come next year and bring some folding chairs for the mess hall...Many thanks to Richard and Mike and all the others at the MKT. You did a wonderful job......EVERYONE made me feel welcome and I made many new friends..The trail rides were well organized with experienced people handling the recovery issues. I saw no dangers that were not self induced...The vendors were easy to deal with and I liked not having to pay shipping....Clinto , Carnac, and Frank and Im sure many others worked more than they played.....To you I say THANKS... Neal, Zout, and Adam and Craig helped me alot. I hope to be more helpful next year and do my part. I should be over my bum leg....THANKS to ALL... Im a comin NEXT YEAR.....Bob

Atomic

Much improved over last year!

Sustain-
MKT although I like the MRE idea as one lunch
PA\Comms
Trailrides

Improve-
Hardball-I liked being on the Hardball but the lackluster response from the VFW was a bit disheartning. It's not a strech to say we burned 400-500 gallons of diesel to and fro and they seemed to care less. Ax them for next year. Maybe a prolonged Hardball to the center of town for a imprompto car/truck show.

Transportation-Maybe someone could designate/bring/rent a civi car or truck to make runs back and forth into town. It would help cut fuel cost for the trucks and be safe all around. I would gladly be "designated driver" for a day. Nothing fancy but a beater truck or minvan.

Marked areas-Ditto, ditto, ditto on the marking paint. No more flagging strips.

This last one is a wish for next year.

Work shops- This one can grow out of control and would need to be regulated a bit. Examples:
How to change a tire on a split rim at 1530 Saturday
How to use your winch on your M35 at 1100 on Friday
How to use your sprag/air shift properly
Maintain your deuce 101 at 1430 on Friday
Etc.......etc............etc...............

Had a lot of fun and Squirt Truck is blast to hit the trials with! Thanks Mark for the ride alongs!

Respectfully,

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Much improved over last year!

Sustain-
MKT although I like the MRE idea as one lunch
PA\Comms
Trailrides

Improve-
Hardball-I liked being on the Hardball but the lackluster response from the VFW was a bit disheartning. It's not a strech to say we burned 400-500 gallons of diesel to and fro and they seemed to care less. Ax them for next year. Maybe a prolonged Hardball to the center of town for a imprompto car/truck show.

Transportation-Maybe someone could designate/bring/rent a civi car or truck to make runs back and forth into town. It would help cut fuel cost for the trucks and be safe all around. I would gladly be "designated driver" for a day. Nothing fancy but a beater truck or minvan.

Marked areas-Ditto, ditto, ditto on the marking paint. No more flagging strips.

This last one is a wish for next year.

Work shops- This one can grow out of control and would need to be regulated a bit. Examples:
How to change a tire on a split rim at 1530 Saturday
How to use your winch on your M35 at 1100 on Friday
How to use your sprag/air shift properly
Maintain your deuce 101 at 1430 on Friday
Etc.......etc............etc...............

Had a lot of fun and Squirt Truck is blast to hit the trials with! Thanks Mark for the ride alongs!

Respectfully,
ALL VERY GOOD IDEAS
The "car/truck show " (F the VFW) SUPER way for the public to see and learn about MVs, I used to take the dirty, live under a oak tree 819 to TOUCH-a-TRUCK, out of all the shiny NEW trucks there, the 819 had LINES to see it and the only one to make the news paper.

The work shop idea is great

The town runs could be on a schedule, a gas charge were be appropriate

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hardball-I liked being on the Hardball but the lackluster response from the VFW was a bit disheartning.
I am already working with some of the local folks in Washington to find us a location that we can convoy to, park the vehicles, have a short lunch, allow outside folks to see the vehicles for a while and then return to Durhamtown.

I'll provide more details on this when next years thread is posted but I think I can come up with a plan that will allow us to show our vehicles to the general public, present a positive image of military vehicle ownership to other folks and have a great hardball convoy.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
MRE's are expensive but if there is enough interest I can buy them by the case at the Commissary at Redstone. Prob have to charge around 5 bucks each. We would still provide tea. Kool-aid, bottle water, etc.
Thanks for the offer WM but I will pass on the MREs. I'd rather just grab some horse poop from the pasture for lunch.
Tastes about the same, and it's free!!:lol:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Richard,

MRE's are actually closer to $8 each. They aren't a cheap lunch and for those with picky diets/tastes.....

Cold cut sandwiches are a better option or heater meals of sometype.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks