• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA 2011 Rally After Action Report

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Maybe Clinto and Mike (from Durhamtown) can put their heads together and come up with a plan that would allow the SS folks to register and pay at our reception area. I'm sure Mike trusts us enough to know we wouldn't risk getting booted over a few bucks.

Our people could sign a paper waiver to cover Durhamtown and theSS Rally. We could add a couple of bucks to the fee and the rally could keep that to help with expenses. This would allow each attendee to pay for just what they want to do. If they want to add something after the fact, like trail riding, our reception folks can immediatly adjust fire.

It would also help out the folks at the Durhamtown reception desk and allow them to concentrate on their customers and not have to deal with the "OD" addicts.

Just my thoughts.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's too easy to show up at our SS area, spend the weekend, and never go over to the office. Obviously there is a lack of knowledge of proper procedure for paying Durhamtown. Undoubtedly most failures to pay (and sign waiver) were done innocently.

Mike might consider a sign at the entrance to our location with a simple list of what is expected: sign waiver, pay per day, pay per ride, etc. Maybe even put another sign along the path to the MKT because NONE could claim to have missed it then!

I 'ditto' all the good things said about this years rally. Absolutely fantastic job everyone.

Bob

I don't know about doing the waivers at our registration. I really think that is best left to the durhamtown staff. Perhaps Clinto can quiz Mike on that. Camping would be easy. I would hate to lose this venue because a couple of folks would want to skip out on paying camping fees.

sandcobra164

I concur about paying fees at the gate. Last year, I didn't pay a thing for camping just because I didn't know there was a fee. I paid to take my truck on the trails and paid the fees for my wife and kids to ride with me. Mike and crew got a few bucks out of me but about $45 less than they should have. I made it up this year. The lady at the registration desk across the road thought I was crazy to pay for something that happened over a year ago but I like to keep stuff straight up. They may not have missed it but I owed it and didn't know it. Durhamtown and I are on even keel once again.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First let me say this was my second GA Rally and my wife and I really enjoyed it. Thanks to all the people that did the hard work and made this happen. Great Job [thumbzup]

Now my 2cents....

Unless we want to make our registration Desk check for a receipt from DT for camping or renting a room; it's going to be easy for people not to pay. Since everyone staying over night has to pay to camp or have a room rented with DT they should have a receipt. We could require everyone in the Rally area to wear a badge like the name tags we had this year thanks to Kenny's efforts. When the badges are issued, a receipt from DT could be presented and a badges issued for the number of days paid for that campsite or room. I'm not sure how we would handle someone that just comes for the day. Do they still have to pay if they don't trail ride?

The idea for a tag or sticker to go on a camper/campsite is good.

DT requires everyone on their property to sign the wavier whether they use the trails or not. I suspect DT uses the electronic wavier because of the huge amount of documents they would generate using paper forms. I wouldn't want to make things harder for them by trying to do a paper wavier just for us to use in our area.

It would be nice not to have to walk over to the DT Lodge to get a new trail riding wrist band everyday. I like many others paid for the whole Rally at one time thinking it would make it easier. Those bands represent $$$ to DT. If they hand us a handful, it's just like handing us $$$. We would be responsible for the dollar amount of the bands they give us until we return the unused bands and the tickets we exchanged for bands.

Power for the MKT and registration desk would be nice. Both are within 100 feet of the fence and I noticed there was a drain pipe sticking up near the MKT that looked to be plumbed into the sewer system. The DT folks seem to be very open to suggestions and accommodating; maybe they would be willing to put some power and water at the fence. That way no worries about livestock messing it up. Is there a military trailer that is basically sinks? We could park it near the MKT and plumb it into the sewer to avoid the mud puddle mess and have a wash area.

Ray

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Mike (SCSG-G4) pays for the power and water that go to the MKT from the last two spots on our side of the campground.

We have an understanding with DT that we can use those outlets during the rally. If DT thinks they will get a return on their investment I'm sure that they would accomodate our request for dedicated water/power/sewer being installed where we set up the MKT.

If we had sewer we could direct all the wastewater from the MKT and hand washing facilities to it. This would prevent the mess we sometimes have when doing dishes behind the MKT.

These are all valid items that we can discuss with Mike of DT before next years rally.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray,

Next year I should have an MKT setup with sinks as a Mobile Food Sanitation Center (not a hand wash station) and bring whatever hand washing station I can afford to purchase as part of the EFRFS (Emergency First Responder Feeding System) for use at the MKT. Hand washing stations near the porta potties is above my pay grade.

Chief_919

One idea the organizers might bring to the DT people- an option for an event-long wristband deal.

One price, get an OD wristband good for the whole event. No more walking over to get a enw one each day. It would reduce the workload on the DP staff, and be unique to the Rally.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK...Lock and Load fellers, I can take it but I just gotta say this:

We are all grown ups and it is our personal responsibility to find out what DT's requirements/fees are and to comply with them.

Everyone comes to meet, greet and ride...not to make sure someone else is complying with rules nor to accept someone else's responsibility.
Having said that...of course we should help those who just do not know for whatever reason...just point them in the right direction.

I think this event needs to be as low keyed and unorganized as possible to relieve the burden on the "organizers" and allow them to enjoy as much of the event as possible.

Come on folks...we are camping in a horse pasture.
Bring what you need to survive, wash your hands, pay your fees or whatever else comes along. Anything above that is gravy.

We could get REALLY crazy and bring Dion's Military Police Jeep and have him drive around and check cards, badges, arm bands, whatever needs to be checked...but do we really want that?

I say this year was as close to perfect as it needs to be.

THE END:roll:

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
We'll work the signage so there is no doubt where to do and what to do to pay. It will inform them where to go and maybe even prices.

Also, everyone should keep in mind that Clinto is the primary liaison between DT and the GA SS Rally. Unless Clint gives and OK, we should not try to work something on our own.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We'll work the signage so there is no doubt where to do and what to do to pay. It will inform them where to go and maybe even prices.
Also, everyone should keep in mind that Clinto is the primary liaison between DT and the GA SS Rally. Unless Clint gives and OK, we should not try to work something on our own.
AMEN Sir!![thumbzup]

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks PB.

Even though I was not in attendance, I understood that attendees wouldn't be waking up to a room-service-breakfast, nor bedding down on a pillow-top mattress with a mint on the pillow. Yup.... wasn't expecting valet parking for the MV's, nor bell hops to unload our gear.

I guess we all just have differing definitions of "roughing it".

What does rough it mean? | rough it meaning

Thank you for bringing this thread back to the real world and encouraging the "K.I.S.S." organizational style.

John

Oh, a few other things I would NOT expect when ROUGHING IT :

Satellite TV
Climate Control (exterior)
Boredom
Hot & Cold tap water - gimme a canteen and a stream
Sanitary Sewage Systems - Ever dug a dung pit? AKA: a REAL latrine?
Fire - started with anything more than FLINT & STEEL
Convenience Supplies (If ya didn't bring it, ya didn't NEED it.... or you'll learn not to forget packin' it next time.)

I guess the "best experience" is different for everyone. It boils down to: WHO is going to provide all these LUXURIES? It's gotta come out of somebody's wallet (money, time, energy, etc) - kinda like taxing the "haves" to give to the "have-nots". Hmmmmmm.

..... but I digress......................

I'll now go to my room and be quiet like a good boy.

poppop

Papabear, you and I think alike. Lets keep this as simple as possible because when we overload the few workers in the crowd then this great event will come to an end.

3dAngus

Hey, MDMorganwife. We need a blowup of that new avatar of yours. Can't hardly see it, and it looks like something worth seeing. :jumpin:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just called and checked, I paid the correct amount. It was extra to drive or ride and you only need a waiver to be on the trails, not for camping only.

zout

Yeah MD - pm me where ya got that outfit - I need to get Deb one for merofl

Maybe once I get her jeep running she will wear it for me :shock:

mdmorganwife

Hey, MDMorganwife. We need a blowup of that new avatar of yours. Can't hardly see it, and it looks like something worth seeing. :jumpin:
I will do some pics with my deuce and post them in the calender thread:D but here is a pic of me and the girls at the party so you can see what the costume looks like.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks