• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat Tours?

HUM469

This wouldn't happen to be the one you're looking at, would it?

View attachment 558137
It is almost certainly this same one, though the exhaust has been changed and there is now a roll cage over the crew area. I still can't seem to get photos to upload here and I don't know why. I click to add a photo, select the file, and click upload. At that point, the pop up box goes away but nothing else happens. I can't seem to understand it....

Edit: I meant to ask, do you know anything more about this one or its history? I did some searching through the forum here but found no other mentions that I could confirm dealt with this AZ specimen...

Second Edit... it seems that photos will work! But only from my phone for some reason....
00909_76VhysGAZqv_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

HUM469

OK, since photos from the phone work, I figured I will post Them separately here, then edit this post...

First the front view. I love that it has a winch since the photos I see without, they just look naked. Second, is it standard that they used a piece of railroad rail for the bumper like that, or was it someone's home fabrication?
DSC_0520.jpg

This side gives another view of the rear roll cage in scale, as well as a shot of the temporarily high mounted radiator that I would have to relocate for tour work. I need my driver to be able to see the passengers one way or another.
DSC_0521.jpg

Rear view. I know they aren't stock, but I feel the after-market tail lights may be necessary for approval for commercial tour operations...
DSC_0523.jpg

The fuel injected 454 700R4 tranny are a tight fit, and the much bigger than stock radiator can't slot in without some additional work. One suggestion was to replace the standard water pump and pulleys with some slim line units. That, or swap back to the shorter stock 3 speed tranny which would come with the sale. However, since the clutch peddle assembly is missing, I think I would keep the auto, and see if I can't trade a friend the 454 for a short block 350 and gain several inches... maybe even room enough for a mechanical fan...
DSC_0517.jpg

This is a different view of the radiator and the empty hole in the back of the tractor since there is nothing there right now....
DSC_0518.jpg

View from the other side showing just how little room the current engine/tranny combo allows..
DSC_0522.jpg

The current condition of the bed with spare. One 20 gallon fuel tank on the driver's side is currently being used. The passenger side is not connected at the moment and would at least require a boil, it's pretty gummy. The owner of the shop suggested simply pulling the tank and mounting the spare in it's place to keep the whole trailer open for passengers. I know this wouldn't be stock at all, but could be functional for my needs, but I don't know yet.
DSC_0519.jpg

That is what I have at this time. I am thinking of going down to do a longer, more complete photo survey and driving test this evening. Anyone have additional thoughts about this particular unit, my plans, or what you would do with it if you were me?

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know anything about the unit. I just Googled "M561 with 454" and it popped up.

That is the stock bumper but don't be fooled into thinking it's as strong as a piece of train track. The TM advises not to try and tow by that as it's not strong enough to hold but to make sure and use the towing shackles.

Not sure what you mean by "stock" tranny. Stock to the 454 or stock to the Goat? The Goat came with a late 60's GM 4 speed not 3 speed.

While I hate MVs that get hacked up (my view) I think it looks like it'd be a fun ride. I especially like the tire set up after checking the price on the stock tires. If I wasn't keeping mine original I'd look into those.

For what you intend to do with it I'd say it's set up appropriately. I do like the fact that they rerouted the exhaust from their first modification so it's not dumping into the carrier. Makes it much nicer for passengers.

HUM469

...That is the stock bumper but don't be fooled into thinking it's as strong as a piece of train track....

...The Goat came with a late 60's GM 4 speed not 3 speed.

While I hate MVs that get hacked up (my view) I think it looks like it'd be a fun ride...

...I do like the fact that they rerouted the exhaust from their first modification...
Mkcoen, whether actually track or not, I know it would never be tough enough to tow. Actual track wouldn't be strong enough on that plane, with that support anyway so it's status as such doesn't really matter to me. I just thought it was rather funny because I once helped rip up some old track in an area that was being rehabilitated into a wild habitat and we joked about using it for all sorts of things including a bumper back when I had a custom car company in the 90's. As for the tranny, the 3 was a typo on my part as I was thinking I might mention the original 3 cylinder is long since gone and so not an option for me.

As for hacking something up, I agree with you. My rule when I was building customs is I would never start with anything that had potential to be restored. I defined that as having many of the original parts and drive train present, or at least still having enough original bracketry hardware and parts to reasonably restore without major cutting and welding. At this point with the engine bay cut open, the engine cover missing, the engine missing, the engine mounts long since scrapped, and much other tub modification, not to mention the fact that I would have to have new pieces welded in just to get it to swim again, I feel this falls in to the not restoreable category. But I do feel more and more like it can be a good tour candidate as a result, rather than cutting into a more original one to install more comfortable seats and proper safety harnesses for guests. I also agree that the current exhaust configuration is as it should be for a passenger hauler.

HUM469, There are YouTube videos of the v8-454 gama goat. But there were never any completed project posts....
Tony, I actually had that video saved to watch later and forgot about it! Yes, it does in fact turn out to be this same Gama, however it has changed substantially even since that set of videos was shot. The owner during filming, Werner Meisterburg, apparently sold it to the current owner some time around a year and a half or so ago. In those videos, it had a carbureted version of the 454, but still the stock transmission. The current owner intended to use it for promotions of a business he owns, but had overheating issues, and believed a newer fuel injected 454 would be better. He also apparently preferred an automatic, so that's why it is where it is today. The current owner has changed his mind about his planned use though, and so here we are at the opportunity for it's sale.

HUM469

Id be happy just to know what tires that goat has on it.
I thought I had mentioned it before, but they are 40" Pro Comp XTCs if I remember right. The tread pattern is the same, but I think the carcass is a little bit different than the current Xterrain model. I've seen them perform well out here in the desert in the past and the ones on it are still in good shape.

AMGeneral

I thought I had mentioned it before, but they are 40" Pro Comp XTCs if I remember right. The tread pattern is the same, but I think the carcass is a little bit different than the current Xterrain model. I've seen them perform well out here in the desert in the past and the ones on it are still in good shape.

Thanks for the info,I am considering all options for my Goat tire wise,I'm starting to lean towards a modern tire vs the stock NDCC,even though I am planning on restoring it to original.

m38inmaine

1100x18 NDCC from Universal $348EA=2,088 for a set of 6, + shipping. The pro comp tires are even more expensive. DUKW.com shows they have NOS denman/goodyear for $150EA but I recall someone here saying they bought some and were not happy with them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks