• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GARAGE DOOR CLEARANCE

rdynes

I want to pull my M1078 into my shop but my Garage door is 9ft. so it's about 4-6 inches too tall for cab clearance. What are my options to get the truck lower to clear the door? Disable the CTIS? Air down the front tires? What about that front end squat system ? How would you do it?.....Bob

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you put it in sand mode and measured the height?

Suspension squat is pretty self-explanatory. You attach the adapters, flip the selectors and press the button. I'm sure it's in the TM also. Even a soldier can figure it out...... why don't you try it and measure?

Not entirely clear on how we can solve this for you over the internet. It's going to take trying a couple things like letting the air out and trying your suspension cylinders and MEASUREING to ensure you don't knock your garage over. 🤷‍♂️

Ronmar

The trucks used to have kneeling valves on the front wheels. they were spring loaded relief valves, you twist them and they drop the front tires to ~10PSI. That combined with deflating the cab air suspension and the front suspension compression cylinders extended, chain plates pinned to axles and all the way retracted and pinned gets you the cargo door squat(105.5” or 8’-9.5”?)…

rdynes

The trucks used to have kneeling valves on the front wheels. they were spring loaded relief valves, you twist them and they drop the front tires to ~10PSI. That combined with deflating the cab air suspension and the front suspension compression cylinders extended, chain plates pinned to axles and all the way retracted and pinned gets you the cargo door squat(105.5” or 8’-9.5”?)…
Please tell me more about these ways to lower the cab. How to keep cab deflated and the front squat system operation...Bob

Ronmar

Please tell me more about these ways to lower the cab. How to keep cab deflated and the front squat system operation...Bob
this is in the operators manual…

The cab air suspension control is in the hydraulic control panel, turn it off to deflate the air springs.
the hydraulic suspension compression cylinders are on each side of the frame. Disconnect the chain plate from where they hang stored on the frame, remove the 2 locking pins from each cylinder.
use the hydraulic control panel and air op pump to fully extend the cylinders.
connect the chain plates to the pins on the axle, and use the hydraulic controls and pump to fully retract the hydraulic cylinders and re-install the pins to lock them in that position with the suspension fully compressed
disconnect the ctis controller connector and manually deflate the front tires to ~10 PSI…

rdynes

this is in the operators manual…

The cab air suspension control is in the hydraulic control panel, turn it off to deflate the air springs.
the hydraulic suspension compression cylinders are on each side of the frame. Disconnect the chain plate from where they hang stored on the frame, remove the 2 locking pins from each cylinder.
use the hydraulic control panel and air op pump to fully extend the cylinders.
connect the chain plates to the pins on the axle, and use the hydraulic controls and pump to fully retract the hydraulic cylinders and re-install the pins to lock them in that position with the suspension fully compressed
disconnect the ctis controller connector and manually deflate the front tires to ~10 PSI…
Do you need to raise the cab to do this operation?

coachgeo

They are REC Alpha 400 watt panels.

The shades help the AC by keeping the direct sun off the walls of the enclosure. That's their main purpose.
.... shade would help AC yes...... but how much is hmmm?? in this case; not sure, since your solar panels have shaded your whole roof already.. and with the time of solar baking on a wall being shorter than on a roof in 24hrs... hmmm??:shrugs:

but that discussion is for another thread

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... shade would help AC yes...... but how much is hmmm?? in this case; not sure, since your solar panels have shaded your whole roof already.. and with the time of solar baking on a wall being shorter than on a roof in 24hrs... hmmm??:shrugs:

but that discussion is for another thread
It makes a HUGE difference. That's why I did it. I did thermal imaging before and after. The 1079 van construction does have thermal breaks between the inner skin and the aluminum studs but they just aren't that effective. The inner walls get CRAZY hot when the outside is in direct sun. This just fights the AC in the habitat. And I added larger windows - which are much better than the single-pane factory garbage, but now allow a lot of sunlight through as well..... I coated the entire interior walls and ceiling with LizardSkin thermal ceramic coating which also dropped the temp by about 20 degrees. And in conjunction with the shades the AC can actually function in 100 degree weather.

I am not willing to paint the whole truck white to reflect the heat. But that would be the ultimate final step. I am painting the entire truck 383 OD Green CARC which will be better than the black in the 3-color at least.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It makes a HUGE difference. That's why I did it. I did thermal imaging before and after. The 1079 van construction does have thermal breaks between the inner skin and the aluminum studs but they just aren't that effective. The inner walls get CRAZY hot when the outside is in direct sun. This just fights the AC in the habitat. And I added larger windows - which are much better than the single-pane factory garbage, but now allow a lot of sunlight through as well..... I coated the entire interior walls and ceiling with LizardSkin thermal ceramic coating which also dropped the temp by about 20 degrees. And in conjunction with the shades the AC can actually function in 100 degree weather.

I am not willing to paint the whole truck white to reflect the heat. But that would be the ultimate final step. I am painting the entire truck 383 OD Green CARC which will be better than the black in the 3-color at least.
Do you have a part number for the AC you are using? If not, BTU specs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks