• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GARAGE DOOR CLEARANCE

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a part number for the AC you are using? If not, BTU specs?
I have one of the 24v Chinese mini-splits mounted to the Environmental Control Unit cover plate between the pods on the front of the box. And I mounted a 120v Dometic Cool Cat unit inside the driver's side pod where the ventilation fan used to be (enlarged the opening).

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that's cool. My kids would love that (I mean I'd play with it too).
Guessing these are not an easy find?
A few years ago a bunch of crew protection cabs showed up at auction - before the FMTV's were popular and being seen regularly at the auction. The HIMARS trucks were some of the first to be upgraded to the A1P2 armored cab specs and so these first gen cabs were removed and auctioned. The crew protection cab was built by O'Gara Hess and Eisenhardt for Lockheed. They were designed to protect the crew from missile exhaust, backblast, etc and was pressurized at higher than atmospheric to keep out the noxious vapors.

I don't know how many were made but HIMARS production in the early years was fairly low since the system wasn't the proven huge success it is today. Given production numbers of the HIMARS I estimate approx. 200 of these cabs were produced. Getting the hatch typically means buying the whole cab - fortunately the amazing individual I bought my truck from had one HIMARS cab left of the half dozen he had purchased. It wasn't cheap to buy it, transport it, and it exacted a price of two wasp stings to my right hand in the process of getting it to give up the hatch - which was glued, screwed and tattooed down. It took me probably 6-8 hours to pry it off. The system it uses for sealant is epic and I suspect the whole cab will rust out around it before it leaks. It's made of ballistic aluminum and weighs about 120 lbs I would say.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks