• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garfield is on its way home

DSD277

Took 3 weeks of waiting, but the "cat carrier" finally picked up my latest acquisition. with any luck, will be home within a couple weeks.

I've been keeping an eye open for Mk2 or newer Supacat for 6 years. Everything I've seen on this 1997 Supacat MK2A has me excited. 1.9TDI engine ( only 360 hrs), 3 speed auto trans, 8k winch, and a set of tracks.

At 6' 6" wide and 4000lbs, it is one fat cat ( like its namesake) :D

Dave Dunn.

Attachments

kroctec

Congratulations Dave! May Garfield bring you much happiness and welcome to the world of Supacat 6x6. Make sure you have plenty of underwear changes if you experiment with the places where they say these machines will go.

DSD277

Thanks Dave
And thanks for all the info you filled me in on. Until you said you had gotten your first Cat, I hadn't been to Supacat's website in a few years. It has changed radically, and contains a lot less than it did on the 6x6.
And as far as change of underwear, I'll use pampers....quicker to change = more driving time. :lol:
Dave Dunn

DSD277

Alphadeltaromeo,
It is coming from Ontarto, Canada.
This Supacat was orginally part of CF DART ( Canadian Forces , Disaster Assistance Response Team ).

Maddawg,
Hadn't thought about full body art, but imagine cresting a hill, and meeting a full frontal of Garfield ! :lol:

I was thinking of a more subdue artwork on the jerry cans, or nose clip. :wink:

Dave

Attachments

steelandcanvas

DSD277 said:
Took 3 weeks of waiting, but the "cat carrier" finally picked up my latest acquisition. with any luck, will be home within a couple weeks.

I've been keeping an eye open for Mk2 or newer Supacat for 6 years. Everything I've seen on this 1997 Supacat MK2A has me excited. 1.9TDI engine ( only 360 hrs), 3 speed auto trans, 8k winch, and a set of tracks.

At 6' 6" wide and 4000lbs, it is one fat cat ( like its namesake) :D

Dave Dunn.
I want one, I really do!

DSD277

Well Will,
Garfield is green...Are you , under those BDUs?.... no, don't answer that. I DON"T want to know! :lol:

Here's couple more ideas for graphics (just green out the background) :wink:

Dave

Attachments

kroctec

For the benefit of the guys on ss.
The Russians seem to have an answer to a lot of stuff we use, this is their answer to the Supacat - the Vityaz MDT 2,5, fully amphibious and Cummins 180 bhp engine through a 5 speed Allison box. They are also like a wheeled version of the Hagglunds BV206.

Attachments

DSD277

There were two of these on ebay last month. This one, a MK2A, and a gas powered MK1. From the onset, I knew the MK2A was for me. :D And for So Cal, topless is perfect, and I can make a vinyl top to shade the sun. The MK1 didn't bid up so well, and I ended up on top at the end, but somewhere below the reserve. I don't really care for hardtops ( for toys :) ), but with the air cooled engine, it would have fit in nicely with my aircooled Mighty Mite and Haflinger.OH well, the TDI Supacat will go well with my TD Pinz . :D
Now, to find that elusive tilting forklift trailer for Garfield :drool:

Dave Dunn

Attachments

DSD277

The Supacat finally arrived home. :D I was pleasantly surprised that it is everything that the seller represented it as!

The only negative to the whole thing is that my trailer is 78" between fenders, and I'll need to move them out 1" to get the cat onto it ( or drive the cat onto it as is, and let the weight of the Supacat shape them to fit :lol: ).

Attachments

kroctec

Whooooooo hoooooooo! Garfield finally arrived and having seen some of the pics I am a bit envious even though I own 2 Supacats. Anyway congratulations DD and now the fun begins as you find out what Garfield will and won't do and perhaps what point you run out of 'bottle'. good luck and good fun Dave.

DSD277

It's been 2 weeks since the Supacat arrive, and last week, after having to buy a new wider trailer :( , took it to the Military Vehicle Museum in South El Monte for a test drive and get a feel for how it drove. After a couple laps around the displays, we took it into the adjacent field to open the throttle up alittle.
As the only suspension is the air pressure in the tires, it took a few laps in the field to lower it to where it felt comfortable and Garfield readily made 30 mph without jarring me to death. :driver:
Though only doing laps, I did get a feel for cornering using a combination of the Ackerman and skid steering :D

Dave Dunn

Attachments

DSD277

Yesterday, The Supacat got a chance to try a little offroading, and play in some water from the recent rains...?? it never rains in California!?? :lol:
Though the "puddles weren't deep enough for it to swim, it did allow me to see how it affected the traction, which it didn't...
Afterward, it went up an ATV trail that deadended on a ridge of a hill. A u turn wasn't a problem, again, using both steering systems :D .

Also, I had remove the rollbar that had been added for CF DART ( a simple removal of 4 clevis pins), just to see how it looked.

Dave Dunn

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks