• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gas(602) to mulitfuel (LDS) conversion ????

Jimmy

RE: Re: RE: gas vs diesel

Wade,
The clutch shaft is the rod that the clutch lever attaches to, the throw out bearing rides on and on the wrecker models goes all the way through the bell housing and on the opposite side attaches to the air solenoid, it is very easy to swap since all the bellhousings are the same and you just have to knock out the plug on the far side to make it work. It will all make sense to you once you see it. My M62 had seen a very hard life and had many "not correct" attempts at repairing it so during the change over I was able to correct most of these. Blasting and painting will be the next big project.

area52

So what did you use to pick the engines with? I am thinking about making two "A" frames with an I beam between the two and use an I beam trolley with a chainfall. I don't have any large engine hosits or trees that can handle this kinda weight.

Did you upgrade to an airshift T-case also or keep the sprague? Are your PTO's on the tranny?

thanks again

Jimmy

Wade,
Your A frame idea will work but make sure to build it heavy enough because remember the gasser weighs over 1900 lbs. I used the M62 to take apart the salvage truck then parked it beside the other and got a wrecker friend of mine to sit everything off and swap it back in place.

I had to keep the original t-case as I am running very short of money. The front winch PTO is on the trans and the power divider comes off the back to the t-case.

RF202

RE: Re: RE: gas vs diesel

Ken is correct. The "air solenoid" that is referred to is a "Rotochamber", simply a air cylinder that is specifically for disengaging the clutch, from the rear deck, with a hand valve, which is located right behind the drag winch. Therefore, it is of no need on a tractor wrecker.

Thanks,
John

Jimmy

RE: motor mounts

Wade,
I would have thought the remote clutch would operate the same on yours as mine since it also controls the crane as well as the drag winch (that yours doesn't have), But either way if you run across it you will know what it is.

The rear mounts are the same, the front engine mounts holes do not line up and I used the plate from the other truck which bolts up to the frame the same. You can bore the holes in your existing mount to make it work if you don't have the correct one.

Westech

CPL

gas in madison wi $2.09 Diesel lucky to see under $2.70.. and why in gods green earth would you want to take the 602 out? I have driven a 5 ton dump that was converted to a Multi and was a total POS! I had to use low range to get the thing to move out of its own way. Im sorry but the Multi in a truck that big is just silly. its like the chevy 1/2 ton ex cabs 4x4 with the 4.3 v6. yeah it will get to speed.. but your going to really over work it that little engine. that 602.. good motor and can get ok MPG'S when you tune her up and keep everything in working order.

Jimmy

There are several reason's. The fuel cost here are not that different, maintenance on any diesel is not as bad a gasser, my M54 with a multifuel runs as good or better than my M35, getting up to speed is not a problem either, they are not dragsters but do ok. So far I am very pleased with the swap on my M62 and I can't tell that I lost any power at all and in fact it feels better than before. The engine doesn't seem to work near as hard to get up to speed. But I guess everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'll tell you this, at 1200 RPM in a working environment, the multifuel should be much more efficient than the R6602.

RF202

I've got to side with Jimmy on this one. Most any diesel is better than a gas. I have the R6602 and it is a strong, well built engine, BUT, I would rather have the LDS. The R6602 is more crisp and responsive, when running the crane, to me, anyway, but with all of the little things to go wrong with it, it makes maintenance a bit of a headache. In short, I'm not, nor I have ever been, a fan, of gas engines in heavy trucks, medium duties either for that matter.
Several years ago, I pulled up alongside a M543A2, that had just left the Reserve Unit. When the light changed, the M543A2 took off like a rocket ship and continued, in rapid fashion, to gain speed as he hit the Interstate. Not to open a debate, but no doubt someone had done some serious pump adjustment. I have owned and driven enough military trucks to know that this kind of takeoff was not normal. Quite a sight, to say the least.

area52

I think that IF I buy this wrecker, I am gonna get the 602 running if I can, then worry about swapping engines.

I've got a feeling its gonna suck the money like a large quicksand pit!!

thanks for the info everyone

RF202

Wade,
Have you posted pics of the wrecker you are looking at to buy? The Continental is a bulletproof engine, probably very little or nothing really wrong with it. If you can get this thing at a reasonable price, go ahead. You'll be glad you did. These old trucks are engineering marvels. Don't recall ever seeing a civilian truck with grease fittings on the carburetor linkage!!!

Jimmy

RE: pics

Wade,

I agree with RF202, if you can get it then why not? I will tell you this, once you get one you will never be without one again, they are amazing and will save you many hours of back breaking work and your version is even more versatile than mine. I would hate for you to miss out on it. The 602 is a good engine and won't be hard to get going and if you are worried about the money to fix it just park it and start gathering parts a litte at a time. If you are worried about it sucking money, you are probably right, but what else are you going to do with it? If you are saving it then someday you will be gone and somebody else will be spending it for you, what fun is that going to be?

area52

I am going this afternoon to see if the farmer across from me wants to buy my deuce and trailer. If he agrees to buy them, then I will more than likely buy the 246.

thanks for the encouragement guys!

RF202

Hmmm.......obviously we have failed miserably, in our encourgement......Wade, you are going about this all wrong.......listen -listen to me/us....... :D the way this works is, you do NOT sell any of your toys..... you simply continue to amass as many as possible........ buy her some roses.... take her out to dinner..... in time, she will come to understand........however, if we don't hear from you after this purchase...... we'll understand..... :lol:

Just kidding

John

Jimmy

Just tell her what I tell mine, "that thing has always been there, have you never noticed before?", it works the majority of the time and if it doesn't then do what John says and buy her something, that always works.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

When I bought my pocket sized wrecker, it wasn't really running. I could see the disgust in my wife's eyes when she finally saw it and learned that it didn't run. During the repower project my yard could rival that of any junkyard/dismantler. You can ask Bjorn about this. Anyway, since it's been running, it's earned a spot in the yard. Now with that said, I just can't imiagine how the rest of you get along without one. I surely can't go back to being without a crane. Do what you can to keep both Wade, you won't be sorry.