• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauge Cluster Wiring… Help?

HmmwvTim

Are the harness with the 27m and 27n newer? It is a pretty old truck 2006. I cant seem to find it in any of the TMs out there. So many pages. Though the comments were helpful, I didn’t see any pointing out those letters. Thanks everyone^^ PS, if you have a 2006 ecv and see what is connected to them, please inform me.

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
The 27M and 27N are tied to the fuel gauge (power) and then to the tach harness. That’s the only place I’ve found those numbers mentioned was doing tach installs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Action

The 27M and 27N are tied to the fuel gauge (power) and then to the tach harness. That’s the only place I’ve found those numbers mentioned was doing tach installs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was going to check those numbers today. Lol. Yesterday, i looked at my speed harness and Ys. No 27m on those.

HmmwvTim

View attachment 845963
Here’s the tach installation info. Not easy to follow because it’s a crap scan from crap drawings, but it calls out circuit numbers and locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D30A00A7-3939-4B49-AD20-5F33191352E6.jpeg
Thanks… been looking through thousands of pages for this on multiple incomplete TMs…
it also explains why one of the 27s is in reverse. So I will follow this and tell you if there are still extra parts.

HmmwvTim

Took me a while to find this drawing, had to share! I’m just a little late to this party….

Not late. My cluster is still apart from fishing out a lightbulb. Wanted to resolve this before putting it back in. So.. just in time^^

Action

So i washed it out with a qtip and some Vaseline. Didn’t have any dielectric grease on me. It cleaned out real well. Looked new in the socket. The bulbs also wiped of and looks new. So when I plugged them in I noticed that the light gets a lot brighter when I have one out. Still not bright enough though.

When I installed the speedo harness, there was a 40x wire that was supposed to be tied into one of the 40 wires for this light. The harness came with a y splitter for the 40 and 27 wires. I noticed that I didn’t need the splitter for the 27 because there was enough plugs. 1 too many even.

Do we know if the same voltage goes through the 27 wires as the 40?

If so, I can use that extra wire and get rid of the 40 y splitter, plus the other dash lights will have more current to eliminate better.
Ah, I missed the part where you are installing this speedo kit. There should not be an extra 27 wire in your dash. I used the kit directions and it all went together like it should. I used both Y's. I have the tach harness in there, too. I have no extra wires.
You grounded 57L to the dash. The TM shows that going to the high beam indicator . Have you checked that yet?

Action

How did we go from Speedometer to Tachometer ? Oh look... Some butterflies.

I need a compass to follow along, CAMO
I got this one !
He is installing an 80mph speedo kit in a truck that didn't come with it. He has a loose wire not connected, that was found to be on the tach harness. He is not using all of the parts that came with the speedo kit. He hooked up at least one wire to where he thought it goes. I may have missed something else.

HmmwvTim

Ah, I missed the part where you are installing this speedo kit. There should not be an extra 27 wire in your dash. I used the kit directions and it all went together like it should. I used both Y's. I have the tach harness in there, too. I have no extra wires.
You grounded 57L to the dash. The TM shows that going to the high beam indicator . Have you checked that yet?
I only have the parts list for the speedo. it has a pictures of how things go but not where to conmect what Or wire labels. Do you have the fill instructions with wire labels? Also I need to know where the tiedowns go. My truck still has that green tiedown plate that comes with the kit installed so I dont have to put that in. Looks like a pain to get to.

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
View attachment Electronic Speedo Install notes.pdf
Electronic speedo install notes I made a while back. I built the harness copied from an OEM but have no details about how it’s “supposed” to be routed. The wire numbers are correct and matched my truck. I didn’t have the second splitter required because I ran out of connectors so I didn’t connect the light or show it.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I got this one !
He is installing an 80mph speedo kit in a truck that didn't come with it. He has a loose wire not connected, that was found to be on the tach harness. He is not using all of the parts that came with the speedo kit. He hooked up at least one wire to where he thought it goes. I may have missed something else.
You forgot to put the smiley face :) !

Starts out dim lights. I see the speedo in the dash. My mistake assuming the M1165, ECV didn't come with a fast speedo. OP didn't say, I am trying to install a speedo from the get go. It's all good, we all play along 🏈 kicking the ball.

Dim lights, new LEDS, wires, then OK, toss in a tach, back around to the speedo. Let's not leave anything out important. Electricity is a magical thing.

I'am setting on the bench, watching where this one goes. Somebody get me a beer LOL. GO ACTION, kick it (y)💯🎯, CAMO :)

Action

Lol.
HmmwvTim, compare your wiring to this...,,
With the cluster pulled out, look for the harness that head up and right towards the tach. Follow that back towards dash. There are 3 wires on a branch. One is grounded to cluster. 27m sticks into the fuel gauge. 27n sticks into 27w of the “Y” that came with the speedo.
that “Y” has 27w above, 27v that connects to 27n of the speedo harness, and 27u that connects to 27j of the truck’s harness.
i am going to put my dadh back together now.
If 2 ends of the Y are the same connector, those letters can be swapped. .

HmmwvTim

You forgot to put the smiley face :) !

Starts out dim lights. I see the speedo in the dash. My mistake assuming the M1165, ECV didn't come with a fast speedo. OP didn't say, I am trying to install a speedo from the get go. It's all good, we all play along 🏈 kicking the ball.

Dim lights, new LEDS, wires, then OK, toss in a tach, back around to the speedo. Let's not leave anything out important. Electricity is a magical thing.

I'am setting on the bench, watching where this one goes. Somebody get me a beer LOL. GO ACTION, kick it (y)💯🎯, CAMO :)
It didn‘t come with any speedo, harness, cable, or tcase gear. The only indication that I know it had an 80mph speedo is the mounting plate that came with the kit was already installed. I guess they just pulled the speedo and everything and stuck it in another truck.

HmmwvTim

Lol.
HmmwvTim, compare your wiring to this...,,
With the cluster pulled out, look for the harness that head up and right towards the tach. Follow that back towards dash. There are 3 wires on a branch. One is grounded to cluster. 27m sticks into the fuel gauge. 27n sticks into 27w of the “Y” that came with the speedo.
that “Y” has 27w above, 27v that connects to 27n of the speedo harness, and 27u that connects to 27j of the truck’s harness.
i am going to put my dadh back together now.
If 2 ends of the Y are the same connector, those letters can be swapped. .
Going to look at this info when I get home today.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
OFF the BENCH, CAMO 🙄

There is not a lot of workable option IMO and the little I understand 🤔 All things being said factory M998, dash wiring is NOT some M1165 special ECV harness.

I think 🤔 the fishing for wire numbers and looking for the letters is throwing a wrench into it. ADD the fact not enough "Y" s to tap in.

Here goes. Ground is ground.

ANY 40x wires are panel lights.

ANY 27x wires are power.

You need power any 27x. Need to go to the panel or speedo light 40x. There are three 27. Fuel, oil, temp and even the Voltmeter, but that is a 567.
Only two 40x wires available for the panel lights at the sockets.

Can't really go wrong. Now if you grab say a "Y" connector to TEE off 27x to feed tach or speedo power, NO problem. Same for panel lights. "Y" connector to 40x to TEE and feed the light circuits.

If the kit you didn't get, didn't have the "Y"s to couple in, then same thing... do your own "Y" thing. A proper peel insulation, wrap wire, solder, tape and note. DONE. Once you close it up, one will forget and still working a long long long time.

My post #39 has print of Speedo. Plug it in, ground and power 27x and light 40x.

Same for tach, power 27x and light 40x .

I charge $150 PER HOUR. "Y" connectors extra. TAPE cheap. This advice FREE, CAMO

🤔

HmmwvTim

OFF the BENCH, CAMO 🙄

There is not a lot of workable option IMO and the little I understand 🤔 All things being said factory M998, dash wiring is NOT some M1165 special ECV harness.

I think 🤔 the fishing for wire numbers and looking for the letters is throwing a wrench into it. ADD the fact not enough "Y" s to tap in.

Here goes. Ground is ground.

ANY 40x wires are panel lights.

ANY 27x wires are power.

You need power any 27x. Need to go to the panel or speedo light 40x. There are three 27. Fuel, oil, temp and even the Voltmeter, but that is a 567.
Only two 40x wires available for the panel lights at the sockets.

Can't really go wrong. Now if you grab say a "Y" connector to TEE off 27x to feed tach or speedo power, NO problem. Same for panel lights. "Y" connector to 40x to TEE and feed the light circuits.

If the kit you didn't get, didn't have the "Y"s to couple in, then same thing... do your own "Y" thing. A proper peel insulation, wrap wire, solder, tape and note. DONE. Once you close it up, one will forget and still working a long long long time.

My post #39 has print of Speedo. Plug it in, ground and power 27x and light 40x.

Same for tach, power 27x and light 40x .

I charge $150 PER HOUR. "Y" connectors extra. TAPE cheap. This advice FREE, CAMO

🤔
Understood that all 27s are the same. Just said I had a few extras. And one of them is female. Trying to determine what the extra plugs are for. a diagram said m is fuel and n is tac or wiper, well something along those lines… anyways, i followed everyone’s advice and I did it!

i used both y connectors and there are no loose ends!

special thanks to Badgerd and Action!

here is what i got.
44CA494E-F30E-4DB0-ADB2-2C7D58D8DBE6.jpegD021D0C0-D720-4C62-B0BC-8798EF59DFDC.jpeg
even the old bulbs are bright now. Guess something was wired wrong earlier.

C4690F44-94B9-4E40-9A43-42993512DEBC.jpeg
old bulbs
1877C032-C6DC-4954-85D6-DA7EDBF4F5D7.jpeg
as we can see, one of the gauges is different. It came from somewhere else. older. Winder if it works. The back is clear instead of translucent so it doesn’t reflect around like the other gauges.

I do have to note that the original bulbs match the speedo light color. The brighter ones don’t seem vehicle green. More like Christmas light green. Might keep the older ones in even though they are not as bright.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks