• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Splitter

Varyag

Has anyone played with a Mitchell 3000-A gear splitter. I have heard some great things about them and was looking into it.

Does anyone know how much they cost? I have been looking around and haven't found anything.

What is a Mitchell 3000-A gear splitter? Is that like a Brownie? What are you trying to split— between third and fourth? With 53's I get a thousand rpm drop between third and fourth. I bought a Spicer 6041 (2 unders, a direct, and an over). It's also too big and you'd have to move too much stuff. I'm still looking for a solution.

tm america

those look like a nice unit .wow he must have dumped alot of dough on putting two on there to keep from moving the t-case back.and yes the way he has them on his truck it would limit suspension travel:roll: but installed between the tcase and trans it would be a nice add on

Jake0147

Yeah, It's kind of like a Brownie. It' a two speed auxillary transmission with direct and overdrive.
I'm not sure there is two on there... I think it's for the rear only, thus requiring that it be set to direct prior to engaging the front drive. Yes, it is something that you could mess up if you tried, but up until the A3 they gave you a synchronized manual transmission and clear instructions on how not to blow up the engine by backshifting too early... Besides, with the off-road ability limited to smooth places only, it might not ever get the front drive engaged anyhow...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what we need is a better fifth gear ratio for the transmission. i know, it's been about 3+ years now, but i am still working on having these made. maybe before i die??

tom

tm america

theres deffinately one between the t case and the front rear axle and another one between the t case and the front axle you can see the air o matic in the pic of the one on the front.and you can see the spare tire on the pics of the one in the rear.thus giving him all wheel drive abilty in high or low as long as they are both switched together:roll:

rebel_raider

The problem I am most concerned about is the gap between 3rd and 4th. A higher 5th gear doesn't solve that problem. You could change the transmission out, but then you have to figure something else out for the pto. I'm all for an auxiliary transmission, if they can be cheaply had and are small enough not to hamper suspension travel.

tm america

the transfer case could be moved back far enough to put it between the transfer case and trans then you could use really short driveshafts since they wouldnt have to move up and down.they would only have to slide in far enough to get the driveshaft out if needed:roll: whats the ratio of those units:?:it would probably be best to put a gasser trans in to get rid of the ratio problem between 3rd and 4th and then you could get the od from the unit not the trans.it would give you a more durable trans since 5th would be dirrect drive instead of od

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem I am most concerned about is the gap between 3rd and 4th. A higher 5th gear doesn't solve that problem.
:ditto:

When they converted the 3052 into the 3053 they left a gear out between 3rd and 4th. It's like you are skipping a gear. That's the reason for the wierd shift pattern.

tm america

you will loose top speed which would be a problem with 9.00s but i dont think i would mind with the 15.5s as i would still have a top speed of around 60 :roll:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i don't understand the problem with drop in rpm between gears. if i shift at 2300 rpm, this is what i get (with .69 od) 2nd to 3rd, 960 rpm. 3rd to 4th, 881 rpm. 4th to 5th, 714 rpm. it all works out very well with plenty of power.

tom