• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Splitter

Unforgiven

clue me in on a NV3500 and NV4500
What's there to say?

Ultra strong
Bolt behind Dodge/Cummins w/o adapters
Low granny
High overdrive

Can handle anything you would want out of an M35, including vehicle weight concerns.

Bolt directly to Altas rock crawler transfer cases for ultimate gear selection off road.

early versions had tendency to pop out of gear but that's been fixed.

The only manual transmission worth considering as a swap IMHO

Would definitely be a big improvement over the funky spaced & inconsistent shifting of a stock Spicer 5 speed.

Could put a Cummins 5.9 in front of it with little modification

mudguppy

What's there to say?

Ultra strong
Bolt behind Dodge/Cummins w/o adapters
Low granny
High overdrive

Can handle anything you would want out of an M35, including vehicle weight concerns. ... The only manual transmission worth considering as a swap IMHO

... Could put a Cummins 5.9 in front of it with little modification
wait wait wait.... you do mean nv4500 and nv5600, right? because the nv3500 was used in dodge dakotas and jeeps - no, it will not survive behind a cummins. i wouldn't even put one behind a 4bt putting out more than stock torque.

however, i do agree that the '4500 is a great choice for the above reasons stated. and, for those same reasons, it is what i'll be using in my swap.

... Would definitely be a big improvement over the funky spaced & inconsistent shifting of a stock Spicer 5 speed. ...
[edit: are you just saying shifting space or overall fitment?] actually, i don't believe it will [physically] fit that easily - it will take modification. from the initial measuring i've done, it needs to be shortened. the problem is the 2wd versions found in the dodges (which is the one you want to use, anyway) uses a long slip yoke for the rear output and puts the tranny at almost 26" long - too long. i contacted hi-impact gear and they can put the GM short style fixed yoke output that will give an overall length of about 19" - about 2 inches longer than the spicer, but the shorter cummins should be able to absorb that and more.

the nv5600 (6spd) is even stronger than the '4500, but is entirely too long to swap in without moving the transfer rearward. early versions of the '5600 had issues w/ unexplained random catastrophic failures. some folks have even had to go as far as swapping in FSO's in place because of reliability issues.

... early versions had tendency to pop out of gear but that's been fixed. ...
are you refering to loosing 5th gear on the '4500? if so, then no, it hasn't been fixed. there are special retaining nuts that must be put on, mainshafts swapped out, or the nut must be tack-welded onto the mainshaft. but any of these mods were not addressed at the factory. the nut and mainshafts are available from several different vendors, hi-impact being one of them.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

You are correct,

I'm thinking of the NV4500. I thought they fixed that thing.

The spacing I am referring to is both the gear spacing, as in 3rd to 4th ratio jump, and also the physical shifting positions. 1,2,3 & R are tight together. 4th & 5th are way over in Egypt and confusing. 4th is where 5th should be & vice versa. You get used to it with practice, but it's definitely funky in my opinion.

For a $3k truck I'm not complaining. But, given the choice of an upgrade I'll take a different tranny in a heartbeat.

mudguppy

... The spacing I am referring to is both the gear spacing, as in 3rd to 4th ratio jump, ....
ah, yes. the 3-4 ratio isn't quite as bad as the spicer, but it is similar. anymore, however, i don't notice it at all because of the 4k gsk - i just shift whenever i want, not when i run out of fuel(ing). so, under normal driving, you never really hit the 'ceiling' and then have to come back down to the basement when you shift to the next gear.

... and also the physical shifting positions. ... You get used to it with practice, ....
and, funny you should say that - yesterday i fired up both the dodge and the deuce for exercise and to top off w/ fuel. i ran the dodge up to the station and then hopped in the deuce to do the same. when i left out i was 'automatically' remembering that the 3-4 shift was different and was marveling at how i had gotten used to it being that way [and how smart i must be :rolleyes:].

well, on the way back, my mind was somewhere else and i came back to reality when the trans wouldn't shift - then i realized i was trying to stuff it into 2nd when i really wanted 4th. i must've went over to 5th thinking it was 4th; when it wouldn't go in (rpm too low), i must've thought i over-shot it and came back towards 2nd and was trying to coax it in.

driving the nv4500 and spicer back to back will definitely mess w/ you. i've also stuffed the spicer into Rev at a stop sign aiming for 1st. another time i've tried pulling my trailer out of a ditch w/ my dodge in 2nd because that's where 1st is supposed to be - i couldn't figure out why it was so stubborn...

aua

Last edited: